RIP WWE

Brandon

Dark Match Jobber
So I finally just finished Double or nothing and I have to say I was Impressed. The match put on by Cody and Dustin had to have been my favorite match of the night till that end segment(WOW) Not to mention they’ve got a few WWE hall of gamers involved with tonight’s show . I really enjoyed how they just took risks and just went for it. In my opinion WWE needs to step things up in a major way before they lose their fanbase . Long Story short long live AEW, RIP WWE.

They will have a long way to go to kill off WWE and I dont think that's the intention; it's to provide an alternative.

I watched the Kenny v Jericho match and if I'm honest, I was impressed. Not with the talent as I knew what they were capable of, but with the production value. Cody really learned how to put a show together from Vince and his dad, that much is very clear. I was concerned it would have the aesthetic of ROH or even TNA, but this was a proper, good job that was executed well.

WWE won't even be feeling pressure from AEW yet but in time to come may have to step up its product in order to avoid losing fans.

True, it will take some time . I just feel that even with the lack of backstage segments and what not, AEW told better stories ( especially in the ring ). I find myself skipping matches and weeks of programming with WWE since I feel it’s easily predictable .

For me personally, I won't feel compelled to watch WWE anymore once AEW is a weekly program. I've been a long lapsed fan and while I still tune in to WWE, it's not because I really enjoy it. I only enjoy very small portions that keep me barely hanging on every week.
Most of the product is stale, watered down, underwhelming garbage.
I feel like only having 2 hours of AEW a week will keep it fresh. Stories will be to the point, shows won't have the loads of fluff and filler that WWE has, and because of just one 2 hour show a week, I will be left with a sense of "wanting more" when the shows end.

WWE is what it is now and there is no "quick fix" that they can employ. The damage they have caused to their own product over the last 10 years in particular, will take SO MUCH time and effort and long term planning to repair. I don't have the faith that they could or even have the desire to make the hard stance changes that would really turn things around.
They are still turning profits and selling out arenas and making tons a $$. That is all well and good for them, more power to them. But come October, AEW will be my primary source to get my weekly fix of wrestling.

True, it will take some time . I just feel that even with the lack of backstage segments and what not, AEW told better stories ( especially in the ring ). I find myself skipping matches and weeks of programming with WWE since I feel it’s easily predictable .

No I dont think you understood my post.

AEW will never kill WWE. WWE has the monopoly on home wrestling and will always continue to dominate wrestling entertainment. However, AEW will take the second spot, springboarding well above Impact within just its first 2 shows.

This comes from someone that after the last PPV that WWE put out, decided he was done with the powerhouse company. I cannot deal with the love in for brock Lesnar anymore and I agree...I skip far too many segments. Tbh I dont even watch a weekly show anymore but I feel like with AEW, I could quite happily watch a weekly wrestling show.

I just dont see it ever killing WWE. AEW is the alternative wrestling show for a more adult audience as opposed to a more children's base.

Some people enjoy Disneyland. They love taking their kids there and spending money on all the cute toys and merchandise. Some people just want to go on cool rides and don't care about all the kid friendly stuff, so they go to Six Flags.
Its entirely possible for both to coexist and thrive in a large market

AEW is a long time away from being competition For WWE. So they had a very good show last night, They had their Lex Luger Moment with Moxley showing up and with Bret showing up for the title presentation. That's awesome for them but now, they really need to focus more on what they're doing instead of trying to take cheap shots at Vince and HHH like they did last night.

I didn't watch the show(mostly because of the price tag) but i've read the report of the show and they're some stuff in that show that was booked only for their fan base and won'T attract anybody outside that group of fans. The evil owner thing that they did with Cody and Brandi is really old and shouldn't be happening anywhere in wrestling anymore. They're some comedy spot that if they were done in WWE, fans would be outrage that WWE did them. The whole dig at HHH by cody didn't need to be there as well as they made them a target right off the bat.

The best way to get at WWE is to get them by surprise, if you go right at them, WWE will crush you eventually, just look at Anybody they tried to take them out. WCW (out of business), ECW (out of Business) TNA (pretty much irrelevant now) WWA( Dead) and the list goes on of promotors that tried and failed to take them down. So If AEW knows what best for them, Stop provoking the WWE, focus on being the best alternative you can be and grow you fan base, then when you have as big of a fan base as WWE, then go for it but until then don't even bother because they will crush you and no amount of money will save them from being a failure just like all the others before them.

Nothing is killing WWE it’s a brand, the Network is huge etc.

AEW is simply an alternative that will co-exist with WWE. Double or Nothing was amazing and I’ll be tuning into the weekly show for sure.

Personally for me AEW is a much better wrestling product. Current WWE is dreadful but maybe AEW can raise the game and WWE will raise theirs. That’s the best we can hope for imo.

If you actually believe WWE is in serious trouble, you have mental problems.

And you would definitely know about having mental problems, wouldn't you.

WWE isn't in trouble right now. Their pockets are far too deep for that. Nor should they die off. The major reason the WWE product has stagnated to the level it has is because of the monopoly it created. If WWE were to hypothetically disappear and AEW were to become the only major game in town, it would just end up developing the same problems that WWE has. The business NEEDS competition to be the best that it can be, and now we finally have a real chance at getting that again. But as a wrestling fan, you shouldn't want any company to go under. The more wrestling there is, the more opportunities that the people who put their bodies on the lines for the entertainment of jackasses like us will have to support themselves and their families. And that is nothing but a good thing.

Tsunaru is the only one that is right here. The post is r.i.p. wwe. That's not gonna happen, as crappy as wwe has been the last several years. AEW isn't taking over and that's ok. It's not trying to. So you wwe fan boys can stick it brother. Other than that, competition is good. Brings out the best in all the promotions which is better for wrestling, and better for the fans too.

This is my first post here in eons. However, I had to read and reply to this.

There are two types of fans: The Professional Wrestling fan and the Sports Entertainment fan. There IS a difference. What we got at Double or Nothing was geared to the fan of Professional Wrestling. Those are the people that go to the bingo halls, VFW halls and school gyms to catch an Indy shows. These people will also be happy to drop $9 a month for NJPWorld and/or Stardom World. They have the FITE App and watch Pro Wrestling from so many companies that it makes ones head spin. Whether it is Nevada's Paragon, England's Defiant, Germany's WXW or whether it is the countless promotions that are available, fans of Pro Wrestling will watch. Last night, I marked out for Awesome Kong, Emi Sakura and Riho. Ask a fan of Sports Entertainment who Emi Sakura is, and they will look at you as if you are nuts.

Sports Entertainment is basically a "variety show" with a wrestling ring. You see products that they push, bright lights, Hollywood glitz and glamour, segments that make zero sense, and writing that is very safe for fans of "Sports Entertainment". Even many of the posters on this thread and others are more fans of "Sports Entertainment" rather then Professional Wrestling. They say with glee that WWE is "the biggest, the best. They are on TV every week!" and dismiss all others with words like "garbage" and "nonsense" and "the Little League". As far as I am concerned, WWE, by their OWN admission, is NOT a wrestling company. In fact, they run away from the word "wrestling". SO, why say they are "wrestling"?

With that said, the WWE is going nowhere anytime soon. They still have deep pockets. The Network brings in $180-200 Million per year. The have gotten 2 big TV deals and a monster deal from the Saudis. The only thing they got going for them is money to dish out. I mean, if they were going to pay Rhyno $500K per year to STAY HOME, they are not exactly poor. However, they will probably get the bigger stars who will see this, like AJ Styles, as a "retirement home", and get the big money like a Brock Lesnar. What AEW has going for it is that they will use the younger stars, and develop what they have when that time comes. As long as they could keep it together for the next 5 years, AEW could put itself into a position where they can realistically compete with, if not surpass, WWE. The fans of Professional Wrestling are looking for that alternative. AEW might very well be it.

So far they’ve handled AEW well, last nights show was good. The production and presentation with the sold out arena help gave it a big time feel and not second rate like Impact or ROH. They seem to have have a lot of die hard fans in attendance so they’re was a good energy and enthusiastic crowed. But once they start having weekly ahows and regular pay per views the novelty is going to wear off. They’ll be lucky if they get half the viewers that’s Raw or Smackdown gets on a weekly bases. They sold out the crowd last night but are they going to be able to draw a crowed on a weekly bases when they’re touring regularly?
I think we should wait and see how the next few months play out before we consider AEW competition to WWE.

This is my first post here in eons. However, I had to read and reply to this.

There are two types of fans: The Professional Wrestling fan and the Sports Entertainment fan. There IS a difference. What we got at Double or Nothing was geared to the fan of Professional Wrestling. Those are the people that go to the bingo halls, VFW halls and school gyms to catch an Indy shows. These people will also be happy to drop $9 a month for NJPWorld and/or Stardom World. They have the FITE App and watch Pro Wrestling from so many companies that it makes ones head spin. Whether it is Nevada's Paragon, England's Defiant, Germany's WXW or whether it is the countless promotions that are available, fans of Pro Wrestling will watch. Last night, I marked out for Awesome Kong, Emi Sakura and Riho. Ask a fan of Sports Entertainment who Emi Sakura is, and they will look at you as if you are nuts.

Sports Entertainment is basically a "variety show" with a wrestling ring. You see products that they push, bright lights, Hollywood glitz and glamour, segments that make zero sense, and writing that is very safe for fans of "Sports Entertainment". Even many of the posters on this thread and others are more fans of "Sports Entertainment" rather then Professional Wrestling. They say with glee that WWE is "the biggest, the best. They are on TV every week!" and dismiss all others with words like "garbage" and "nonsense" and "the Little League". As far as I am concerned, WWE, by their OWN admission, is NOT a wrestling company. In fact, they run away from the word "wrestling". SO, why say they are "wrestling"?

With that said, the WWE is going nowhere anytime soon. They still have deep pockets. The Network brings in $180-200 Million per year. The have gotten 2 big TV deals and a monster deal from the Saudis. The only thing they got going for them is money to dish out. I mean, if they were going to pay Rhyno $500K per year to STAY HOME, they are not exactly poor. However, they will probably get the bigger stars who will see this, like AJ Styles, as a "retirement home", and get the big money like a Brock Lesnar. What AEW has going for it is that they will use the younger stars, and develop what they have when that time comes. As long as they could keep it together for the next 5 years, AEW could put itself into a position where they can realistically compete with, if not surpass, WWE. The fans of Professional Wrestling are looking for that alternative. AEW might very well be it.

I agree, WWE is an ENTERTAINMENT company, and that may be why they are still in existence, and most of the other companies aren't.

You see, Vince thought ahead of the curve. Most of the other promoters thought that interest in wrestling would last forever.

But, interest in professional wrestling is at an all-time low. You see, people have other interests now, and other things to do.

Vince McMahon saw this coming, so he promoted to people's love of celebrity, and putting on a show, an experience. He catered to the mainstream, which brings TV deals, advertising and merchandise. He caters to the children, who bring with them parents, who then pay money.

He is selling "wrestling" as a TV show like BBT or GoT. Wrestling in MSG in a cage, and travelling from territory to territory is over.

The failure of ECW proves my point. Paul Heyman sold wrestling to wrestling fans, and got praise from them. Yet it was never profitable and died within ten years.

WWE will always succeed, because they are selling to the MCU audience, the mainstream audience who want drama, storylines, etc. These things are the meat and potato, and wrestling is the side-dish.

AEW is like an indy band or an indy movie, while WWE is like an artist like Michael Jackson or Madonna by comparison, or Marvel or James Bond by comparison.

AEW is like the movie that wins the Oscars, while WWE is like the movie that makes millions at the box-office, people go to see it, and it becomes a franchise.

AEW will fail for the same reason ECW and the indys fail. Because Vince is selling to a different audience entirely. Wrestling has a bad rap these days in the media, thanks to the Benoit murders, the drug trials and the damage that "The Attitude Era" did to wrestling's reputation so Vince distancing himself from it is in response to that.

Do I believe AEW can be successful? Yes of course but I think the death of WWE because of them is a bit premature. The best thing AEW could do is push the WWE to come up with some more compelling storylines again. The star power there is good (Cody, Jericho, Omega, Moxley, & The Bucks) but they still have a very long way to go before they are even considered a "threat" to the WWE for sure.

Weekly episodic wrestling programming is a marathon, not a sprint. I have more faith in WWE being around in the next five years than AEW. It all depends on the expectations of the financial backers and networks. TNA had a terrific niche product for awhile but patience wore thin, mistakes were made, and things fell apart. Hopefully AEW won't have that pressure to be something that WWE is and will continue to be.

Do I believe AEW can be successful? Yes of course but I think the death of WWE because of them is a bit premature. The best thing AEW could do is push the WWE to come up with some more compelling storylines again. The star power there is good (Cody, Jericho, Omega, Moxley, & The Bucks) but they still have a very long way to go before they are even considered a "threat" to the WWE for sure.

The only "star power" AEW has is Chris Jericho and Ambrose (never using that other name, it was atrocious pre-WWE and it's atrocious now). Cody Rhodes was a midcarder in WWE, and nobody outside hardcore indy fans have any idea who Kenny Omega or the Young Bucks are. AEW needs to land several more HUGE names to have any chance of being competition at some point.

I love WWE and have been watching for many years, but they are stale and have been for a while. I know that AEW is no threat too WWE right now and probably won't be a threat for a while but hopefully AEW's presence can help WWE step it up. There are a lot of unhappy wrestlers in WWE, they could be losing a lot more of them to AEW. I look forward to watching AEW, I am getting tired of the same old thing in WWE and now with Lesnar back I am ready for AEW.

It's erroneous to assume that WWE is kill proof. Large behemoths do die. Like Yahoo, Nokia. I don't know what's the fuss about WWE being in entertainment business and not wrestling business. I don't know... Let me ask you all..... Are you entertained?!! It's exactly the entertainment side of things where WWE is failing miserably, and not wrestling side of things. WWE is not GOT. It's not even GOT S8. If it continues to be so lethargic, the seemingly never ending cash flows will end. If kids have option to see Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon, they will see that rather than WWE. If adults would have option, they would rather see sports or Chicago PD or Game of Thrones. And they will rather see AEW rather than the crap show WWE provides, if AEW can manage to create interest in their weekly product.

It's erroneous to assume that WWE is kill proof. Large behemoths do die. Like Yahoo, Nokia. I don't know what's the fuss about WWE being in entertainment business and not wrestling business. I don't know... Let me ask you all..... Are you entertained?!! It's exactly the entertainment side of things where WWE is failing miserably, and not wrestling side of things. WWE is not GOT. It's not even GOT S8. If it continues to be so lethargic, the seemingly never ending cash flows will end. If kids have option to see Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon, they will see that rather than WWE. If adults would have option, they would rather see sports or Chicago PD or Game of Thrones. And they will rather see AEW rather than the crap show WWE provides, if AEW can manage to create interest in their weekly product.

AEW is not going to be able to create interest in their weekly product without several more major names. Chris Jericho and Cody Rhodes are not going to draw millions of eyes to the product.

People who think after 2 shows that AEW will kill wwe they are nuts. Parent's prefer wwe for there kids and if ROH whole had quality booking and wrestlers for years havent managed to in years then neither will AEW

AEW is not going to be able to create interest in their weekly product without several more major names. Chris Jericho and Cody Rhodes are not going to draw millions of eyes to the product.

I get your point they need a few more to really crab more fans. They got Jon Moxley aka dean ambrose which is a big name by the way WWE did his send off so that's one. Jericho is still a draw so that's 2, Cody and Dustin if he stays full time are another 2. Outside of that, You don't have a lot of big name available to get them going. Most huge name legends can't wrestled anymore and are happy with their WWE legends deals, so they won't jump over to AEW and outside of that, who do you have that really can make a difference to grab fans attention. Styles is off the table since he just resigns a multi year contract. Cena won't go because of his loyalty to WWE, Batista is retired, Bryan could be an option but i doubt he will go anywhere because of his health issues. Rollins is pretty happy where he is and Reigns as well. The only guy left that i could see is jumping to AEW is CM Punk but at this point, does the casual know or even remember who the guy is and how much of a attraction is punk in 2019.

AEW probably won't kill the WWE but it's possible that WWE could take a hit if AEW stays competitive. Which is good for both AEW and WWE since we all want the WWE to be better.

One thing I can say though is many people think AEW doesn't have the star power to compete with the WWE. Which I think isn't that true since WWE has not really created any superstars if you think about it. I think in terms of Star power WWE has the edge but not significantly.

AEW doesn't have the star power that WWE has, but for those saying that AEW needs some big name signings, look at what happened to TNA when they raided the WWE & WCW retirement homes.

Brining in the likes of Sting & Angle was one thing, bringing in Hogan, Nash & Val Venis was another.

AEW has a nice mixture to the roster, it has Jericho, Cody, Goldust & Ambrose as they're known from their WWE time, so they've got a few signings that may appeal to the 'disgruntled or former' WWE fans, The Young Bucks, Daniels & Kazarian from ROH & TNA, and then the likes of Pentagon Jr, Pillman Jr etc from other promotions.

For the original poster saying RIP WWE, not going to happen, WWE has more lives than a cat and have bounced back time and again. Competition is the key, the WWE hasn't quite been the same since the end of WCW.

TNA had something going and then dropped the ball and aren't ever going to get back to where they were. Look at how many TNA 'Originals' are involved in WWE whether it be on the active roster or in a behind the scenes role.

AEW should/will be happy to be an alternative to WWE and cement their place as No. 2 company before they declare any sort of war.

The companies that should be worried by the emergence of AEW are Impact & ROH.

AEW won't be the death of WWE. This will hopefully be the kick in the balls Vince needs to freshen up the product. We all know he does best when there's genuine competition to go up against.

I've only watched a small part of Double or Nothing, and what really hit me was the extremely high production values.

This is an exciting time for pro wrestling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back