Rowdy Roddy Piper

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtroppe

Getting Noticed By Management
Ok, I want to get some opinions from long time wrestling fans on this. Rowdy Roddy Piper is a legend, no doubt he helped build the WWE with Hogan, Savage, and Andre. Doesn't it feel like he has lost the cool appeal? It seems like every time there is a WWE special, out comes Piper. I mean we must see the guy on 5 Raws at least. On top of that he has kind of made his outside of wrestling career doing C or D list movies, and showing up at Sci Fi conventions. How can people perceive this guy as a genuine attraction these days when his work outside wrestling is low end and he is a pretty constant figure on WWE tv? If I am missing something please let me know.

Roddy Piper is a WWE regular? What would that make Stone Cold?

Truth is, Piper pops in now and then, but is much less frequent than other legends who like to pop in like Austin. And often he is there to put over other superstars on the mic, not exactly in the ring. I can't recall the last time I've seen Piper in a match since Monday, and you can't really call that a match but more of A-Ry screwing Miz to further their storyline.

And wrestlers who cross over to movies usually do make movies that people don't really go see. Hogan did quite a few, and in his heyday too. Does this make him less of a star? No, because with that theory Mark Wahlberg should have quit after he did The Happening.

Piper gave us "They Live" which I consider a pretty good movie for its time. Whenever a "Favorite Movie With A Wrestler In It" thread is made, that movie is mentioned. Bottom line, mommies and daddies who take junior to a show know who Piper is, so it's a little bit more of a money maker than just leaving Hot Rod off the card.

Love Rowdy Piper he will always belong in the ring no matter how old he is or how many Raws he appears on! He will forever be known as the best on the mic ever. He looked in the best shape I have seen him in 15 years! Rowdy is truly a legend and needs to teach some of these young guys how to get over to the crowd.

Nostalgia: A sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations.

Piper's brief and rare (and despite what you say, they are relatively rare) appearances on WWE TV are always special for old-school fans. He's often used to advance storylines (John Cena vs. Nexus prior to last year's Survivor Series, and The Miz vs. Alex Riley) so it's not like he's stealing the spotlight from anyone, or doing any harm. He’s there to throw old-school fans a bone, and because he deserves to be.

And as for his out of the ring activities – who cares? As you said, he’s still a WWE legend, and that’s all that matters. The Rock starred in the Tooth Fairy, does that mean he has lost his cool appeal and should no longer appear on Raw?

I Love seeing '' Rowdy '' Roddy Piper he's a legend and a hall of famer I been watching Piper sense I was 2 or 3 years old and he still has it he's funny he can be serious and when someone has the answers Piper changes the questions he can be on RAW as long as he wants to matter of fact I would love for him to be the GM of RAW that would be cool to see him ever week.

I Absolutely LOVE seeing piper now and then. He is the KING of the stick.

IMHO he beats out The Rock with ease. Rocky is all scripted with catch phrase after catch Phrase same with Hogan and Falir. Piper is off the cuff 85 % of the time no one IMHO will EVER touch him on the mic tho CMP comes close.

Also here is a guy who is a survivor he fought in the greatest area of all and WON that arena is Cancer.

I have been an admitted piper Mark since for around 30 years I even have the HOT ROD shirt he wore back in the day. Master of the eye poke LOL.

Yes Hogan has had more movies but they all sucked dried monkey balls. Piper had one GREAT movie in They Live tho he had others like a movie with Rikishi, Capt. Lou and Dirk Bennidict of The Orrigional battle Star Galatica when Starbuck was a MAN and the A-Team as face.

He is always awsome I remember when he blasted Morton Downy Junior in the face with a fire extinguisher cause he blew smoke in his face. Hillarious.

He also is more than proud to give up and comming stick workers a rub if he likes them Like the Miz and CMP along with Jericho back in the day.

As the ECW Sandman said Imagine RRP as the GM. "Whats up buttercup afraid of a fight you coward get in the ring before I smash you in the head with a coconut"

If Roddy Piper had one job in the WWE they should put his old ass down on a Pipers Pit in the middle of the ring for ten minutes every night because I can guarantee you that would put asses in seats. A segment with no scripts, no rules, just Piper, a mic, and a guest of his choosing. I stopped watching WWE Regularly three years ago, but if Vince did that I could guarantee you my ass would be in dad's old chair, feet propped up, beer in hand, anxiously awaiting Pipers Pit every Monday Night.

Piper is the biggest attraction in the business for me followed by Arn Anderson and the late Macho Man. Piper means money, you want money, you give me my Rod.

Look, Im not trying to take anything away from Piper and I am a Piper fan, but is the guy really a big draw today? I really don't know the answer to that. If you advertised a show staring Piper, would people tune in. My guess is that it would be a relatively low amount of people. I wish it was more but I doubt it. You cant compare the guy with Rock or Stone Cold right now- because they more relevant to today's product than Piper is. On top of that, Rock is an A-list celebrity and Austin is a big star-despite his library of unwatchable movies. Maybe I am wrong- its hard to judge, because I do believe Piper is a star and one of the most fun wrestlers of all time- I just don't know if current wrestling fans and older fans who dont watch the current product care enough about Piper to tune into to his broadcast.

Look, Im not trying to take anything away from Piper and I am a Piper fan, but is the guy really a big draw today? I really don't know the answer to that. If you advertised a show staring Piper, would people tune in. My guess is that it would be a relatively low amount of people. I wish it was more but I doubt it. You cant compare the guy with Rock or Stone Cold right now- because they more relevant to today's product than Piper is. On top of that, Rock is an A-list celebrity and Austin is a big star-despite his library of unwatchable movies. Maybe I am wrong- its hard to judge, because I do believe Piper is a star and one of the most fun wrestlers of all time- I just don't know if current wrestling fans and older fans who dont watch the current product care enough about Piper to tune into to his broadcast.

I definitely see where you are coming from. I think it's similar with other HOF's like Ted Dibiase and Ricky Steamboat. It's definitely nice to see them every now and then. But I'm really doubting they'd be considered a draw. To be honest, I don't think advertising Roddy Piper in advance would make me any more likely to tune in.

When Bret Hart first came back last year, EVERYONE tuned in. We hadn't seen the guy in years. But after the nostalgia wore off, he kind of went into the same category as Roddy Piper and the other HOF's. Meaning that it's nice to see them every few months, or maybe once a year. But I really wouldn't want to see them every week. And I think Vince knows that, which is why we don't see them. By just having them appear on rare occasions, he can still count on that nostalgia pop each and every time, without fans getting bored of them.

It’s 2011. Piper isn’t supposed to be a big draw. People who stopped watching wrestling at least 15 years ago are not suddenly going to come back to watch Piper on occasion. People who only started watching within the past ten years aren’t going to appreciate him. Piper’s true value is having younger guys work with him so he can teach them to be a draw. One of the biggest complaints about young superstars today is everything feels forced and scripted. In case the younger fans haven’t noticed Roddy Piper is what you want the superstar of today to be. He’s original, natural, and passionate. Every young guy in the locker room should be begging to be the guest on Piper’s Pit whenever Hot Rod makes an appearance. Those who aren’t fortunate enough to work with him should be gathered around a television set in the back and take notes on how a master works the crowd. I don’t see what Piper’s work outside wrestling has to do with anything. Maybe his movies aren’t that great but how many other wrestlers have been able to make any kind of name for themselves outside wrestling? What have Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, and CM Punk done outside of wrestling? Piper may not be as cool as he was in 1985 but he still has more star power and more of a presence than most guys on the roster today.

I definitely see where you are coming from. I think it's similar with other HOF's like Ted Dibiase and Ricky Steamboat. It's definitely nice to see them every now and then. But I'm really doubting they'd be considered a draw. To be honest, I don't think advertising Roddy Piper in advance would make me any more likely to tune in.

When Bret Hart first came back last year, EVERYONE tuned in. We hadn't seen the guy in years. But after the nostalgia wore off, he kind of went into the same category as Roddy Piper and the other HOF's. Meaning that it's nice to see them every few months, or maybe once a year. But I really wouldn't want to see them every week. And I think Vince knows that, which is why we don't see them. By just having them appear on rare occasions, he can still count on that nostalgia pop each and every time, without fans getting bored of them.

Id have to disagree, I didn't tune in to see Brett Hart, I knew since his stroke he could bring nothing to the in ring product and would only be good in a GM Role. I did tune in once I found out he had that role and he did pretty well with it, I thought he was a good choice and he didn't disappoint.

Piper on the other hand even in the ring at his age I get a kick out of his antics. Old dude ripping at your nose, poking out your eyes and literally kicking you in the ass while making loud noises is entertaining. He may end up getting the crap kicked out of him overall but he still makes it look good.

Then his mic work, I could watch a two hour long unglued Pipers Pit without interruption. For me Piper would be one of the only things that could bring me back to WWE Programming.

The thing about Piper is this....

Is he as popular as he used to be? Absolutely not. Do most fans today give a fuck about him? Nope.

However, when Piper shows up on television, it usually ALWAYS ends up being a good-to-great segment, just like last week's, which was easily the best part of the show.

That's ultimately why Piper will always have a spot on WWE television a couple of times a year if he wants it... WWE knows he'll bring the goods every time he shows up and give the fans quality entertainment with his ability to talk on the mic and interact with other wrestlers. That's all that matters. Fuck "drawing power" and "legacy" and all that nonsense... Piper is a top quality entertainer, bottom line.

yeah i have to agree with what the other guy said, sone cold is becoming more of a regular on raw, piper just pops in, gets a good pop, and just kinda helps further feuds, as far as wrestling on monday, that was more for a ry then anything else. seeing piper pop up now and then is great, always glad to see a legend show up and do something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back