Santino Marella - World Champion?

Khalifa

Where it at doe?
So I was watching Santino get the fastest elimination in the Royal Rumble on youtube when I thought to myself what if Santino wasn't a comedic jobber? Do you think he could of risen the ranks of the WWE roster to get that presitigious prize?

Ofcourse you would have to go back in time to make sure he didn't do anything even remotely close to being a comedic jobber and was just a serious wrestler. He definately has the mic work to be a a world champion and we can never know for sure how good he could be in the ring because of his gimmick, but when he was the IC champ he wasn't so bad in the ring. Give him a few more years in the ring seriously and he might of become something. I highly doubt he would of become a world champ but a upper midcarder would of suited himn quite nicely I thought (although I think he is hilarious with what he is doing now).

What are your thoughts? Could he of become a world champ? Could he of become anything or was he always destined to be the comedic jobber?

How does he have the mic skills to become a World Champion? He says things in a stupid Italian voice which really just wouldn't make him serious at all. In the ring he's ok nothing special. But this whole thread is kind of funny in that it makes ZERO sense.

I think if i remember he got onto WWE TV by beating the late Umaga for the intercontinental title in a clean win, not too shabby to start his career, then they realised soon after that American's find any other accent than their own funny so he became comedy jobber that he is now, but he's excellent at it. I really think they guy has some immense untapped talent though and who knows, maybe one day he will be allowed to demonstrate it again, but World Champion? I don't know, it's hard to tell, WWE finds it hard enough to let anyone who is from a country that doesn't border their own hold the title so someone from Italy? i don't know

I think if i remember he got onto WWE TV by beating the late Umaga for the intercontinental title in a clean win, not too shabby to start his career, then they realised soon after that American's find any other accent than their own funny so he became comedy jobber that he is now, but he's excellent at it. I really think they guy has some immense untapped talent though and who knows, maybe one day he will be allowed to demonstrate it again, but World Champion? I don't know, it's hard to tell, WWE finds it hard enough to let anyone who is from a country that doesn't border their own hold the title so someone from Italy? i don't know

He was born in Canada so that really wouldn't matter.

However no he would never have been a world champion. No offence meant to Santino but he's just a funny looking bloke and can you really imagine him holding the World title? It would look ridiculous.

The guy is actually a good wrestler in the ring but without the comedy thing he would have been a jobber at best.

Reactions: IHW
He's from Canada. The gimmick is italian. He's the most entertaining guy in WWE right now. I'm still waiting to see what Chris Jericho is gonna do. But right now, he is the funniest. But I don't think anyone would be given a World Championship just because of mic skills.

I would like to see him have a United States or Intercontinental Champion run. A long one. Or perhaps he could form a team with someone and become Tag Team Champion for some months.

But not world champion.

How does he have the mic skills to become a World Champion? He says things in a stupid Italian voice which really just wouldn't make him serious at all. In the ring he's ok nothing special. But this whole thread is kind of funny in that it makes ZERO sense.

Well if you read my post then you would of seen that it said "Ofcourse you would have to go back in time to make sure he didn't do anything even remotely close to being a comedic jobber". He is putting that voice on to be a comedic jobber. The way I mean he is good on the mic is that he speaks like he does it for his job. Some people are naturals on the mic like John Cena and HHH. Then you have some people who aren't naturals on the mic like Jeff Hardy and Evan Bourne who are terrible on the mic. Santino is a natural and could easily do great mic work with him using a proper voice.

Also how does this thread not make sense? It asks a question which requires a yes or no answer. If you also read the thread then you would of known that you have to look at it as if he wasn't a comedic jobber like he is now. So that means if he was just a normal wrestler like everyone else.

Get back to me when you actually learn to read and have something relevant to say.

Hes not actually Italian, hes canadian. I think this is the whole problem with this question, as if he had been brought into the WWE to not be a comedic jobber his name wouldnt have been santino marella, he wouldnt have been italian and he wouldnt have done his walk or used the cobra or anything. he would have been a completely different character in every way i imagine! so really its tough to answer this because it would all depend on how the man behind Santino, Anthony Carelli, would handle a more serious role.

All in all though I dont think he would be able to be a WWE champ if he hadnt been given this role because unless he was AMAZING on the mic in this other character, in-ring skills dont matter enough to warrant a push to the top most of the time and santino isnt the best in the business anyway and besides that he doesnt have the all important looks to be a champion in WWE. Not just the fact that he isnt a roided monster but hes a bit pudgy, hes not tall, hes not good looking and therefore hes not all that marketable. I think santino has fallen in quite well with a role he plays perfectly and to be a midcard jobber (with a couple of midcard title reigns dont forget) like he is in the biggest wrestling company around is probably the highest he can aim for.

well what they are doing to Santino Marella aka Antonio Cerelli is pure predudice and racist. I mean Its not fair what they do in the wrestling world and in this country that if your not anglosaxon your looked at as a joke. Especially if an italian gets one step ahead then immediatly the terms( Mafia or Mob) Gets thrown in there. But its ok tho if an anglo get a step ahead which in my opion is the real mob of the country behind the scenes. Classic expamples, Rocco Marchegiano aka Rocky Marciano, Bruno francesco leopoldo Sammartino, Terry Bollea aka Hulk Hogan, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra end etc.

They all had to adapts more or less to the anglo way, and that above all is predjudice cause this country was based on freedom of religion, race, culture and instead the anglo are hypocrites on that law and want every one to adapt to their ways which in my opinion is the ultimate form of racism.

Same is what Santino is going through in wrestling with a man in charge who him and his father Mcmahon sr wanted everything IRISH. This is a county that should be equal to all instead of choosing favorites from ones same country.

I've shit myself twice since that video started playing. This just goes to show that anyone can play a gimmick and wrestling. John Cena could've played a comedy jobber and I'm almost positive you people would be saying the same thing. All Santino needs to do is drop the accent, cut his hair, shave the unibrow and with a little build up, could become someone big in the WWE. A World Title wouldn't necessarily be out of the picture.

I do somewhat agree that it might be a bit hard to take him seriously because of the comedy gimmick he's portrayed for so many years. It would be somewhat laughable seeing Santino act serious for once. But, you never know with the WWE nowadays. They can pretty much do anything. Look at Mark Henry. For how many years was he nothing but a jobber? Now he's amongst the WWE's top heels. Santino could fit this bill very easily. Although it would take alot of dedication to the character and an ass load of build-up, it can be done.

:wtf:No! Not just no but helllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll no should this buffoon be world champion! Can you say the true ending to the legitimacy of the World Championship? How about massive ratings drops. Next thing you know TNA becomes the #1 wrestling show followed by ROH! The McMahon family is forced to move to a 2 bedroom trailer in backwood West Virginia. No WWE Network and no more classic WWE Movies(okay that one is probably a good thing).The day he wins the World Championship I'm done watching the WWE.

well what they are doing to Santino Marella aka Antonio Cerelli is pure predudice and racist. I mean Its not fair what they do in the wrestling world and in this country that if your not anglosaxon your looked at as a joke. Especially if an italian gets one step ahead then immediatly the terms( Mafia or Mob) Gets thrown in there. But its ok tho if an anglo get a step ahead which in my opion is the real mob of the country behind the scenes. Classic expamples, Rocco Marchegiano aka Rocky Marciano, Bruno francesco leopoldo Sammartino, Terry Bollea aka Hulk Hogan, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra end etc.

They all had to adapts more or less to the anglo way, and that above all is predjudice cause this country was based on freedom of religion, race, culture and instead the anglo are hypocrites on that law and want every one to adapt to their ways which in my opinion is the ultimate form of racism.

Same is what Santino is going through in wrestling with a man in charge who him and his father Mcmahon sr wanted everything IRISH. This is a county that should be equal to all instead of choosing favorites from ones same country.

How is it racist? He isn't even italian? They aren't doing anything remotely racist to him. The only thing that relates him to an italian is the accent he puts on. Which again how is that racist?

The WWE don't go out of their way to make sure someone that isn't American doesn't get the world title, or someone that isn't white. Look at greats like The Rock and Sheamus. Just because Santino has an italian gimmick doesn't mean he wont be a world champ, it's because of his charatcer which is to be a comedic jobber.

No! Not just no but helllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll no should this buffoon be world champion! Can you say the true ending to the legitimacy of the World Championship? How about massive ratings drops. Next thing you know TNA becomes the #1 wrestling show followed by ROH! The McMahon family is forced to move to a 2 bedroom trailer in backwood West Virginia. No WWE Network and no more classic WWE Movies(okay that one is probably a good thing).The day he wins the World Championship I'm done watching the WWE.

GO BACK AND READ THE FIRST POST! IT CLEARLY STATES THE GIMMICK/CHARACTER HE IS DOING NOW WOULD NOT OF HAPPENED!

Check this guy out...

Santino's first match was completely "random"... if I remember correctly he "couldn't speak English his first time addressing the audience. His first match was against the Intercontinental Champion Umaga for the title. That could have easily been the WWE Champion. Along with costing Cornette his job he could've been the biggest thing since David Arquette.

Hamily Guy has it right. If they really wanted to, he could rise through the ranks (and there ain't a damn thing you could do about it!)

"Originally Posted by Domamania

Same is what Santino is going through in wrestling with a man in charge who him and his father Mcmahon sr wanted everything IRISH. This is a county that should be equal to all instead of choosing favorites from ones same country."

Not racist Italian is not a race it's xenophobic if anything if you're going to be a ****** do it correctly.

I've always felt that Antonio Cerelli is a very good wrestler.

He plays the role that he's given very well. His moves are perfect for his comedy gimmick, his microphone work is excellent for his position, etcetera.
Could he work as well with a serious gimmick? I'm inclined to believe so. Not sure if World Champion material, but most likely at least upper midcard material.

:wtf:No! Not just no but helllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll no should this buffoon be world champion! Can you say the true ending to the legitimacy of the World Championship? How about massive ratings drops. Next thing you know TNA becomes the #1 wrestling show followed by ROH! The McMahon family is forced to move to a 2 bedroom trailer in backwood West Virginia. No WWE Network and no more classic WWE Movies(okay that one is probably a good thing).The day he wins the World Championship I'm done watching the WWE.

I'd like to wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors...

Anyway, I see nothing wrong with Santino becoming a successful star the way he is. People get so caught up in him being a comedic character, and thinking that comedy characters can't succeed, that they forget that on Smackdown they're having a feud with Cody Rhodes and a lifetime comedy star Dustin Rhodes... who had GREAT success as a Comedic character. Hell, The Hurricane was nothing but pure comedy and he went over THE ROCK live on RAW.

Not to mention, for Santino to be a "comedy jobber" he sure does get a lot of wins and gets over quite well. He also manages to be quite the in ring performer, and for anyone who doesn't think the cobra is believable... you've obviously never been in a fight (or used logic) because a shot to the throat will take down ANYBODY.

First off, Antonio Cerelli is italian. He was born in canada, but he is from italian Decent. do your damn reearch.

Second off, The Rock is from the samon clan with his grand father, cousin, snuka, wild samons, and etc.

Thrid, Sheamus is Irish like Mcmahon, enough said.

Ceralli, aka marella is in real life a skilled MMA and regular martial arts expert who in real life can perform real mat wrestling sklls.

Then you have Antonio win the intercotinetal belt knowinf his real life fighting expirtize and yet have him defend it like a baffun is just wrong. But yet guys that dont know 1/4 what antonio know in real life thats not italian be the top guys with exception of angle, lesnar, and jericho who all there are real freakin athelets. Its called racism to the italian and its been going on for over a hundred years, thats why the mob formed to protect the italians from all this bs.

It amazes me how people can see that video and think, "Wow. He really could have been something." Really? That video makes him look more laughable than he currently is, but not in the good way. If he would have continued with that gimmick, he wouldn't have lasted. I don't care how much you people think he could wrestle, that gimmick would not work on a guy that small. He should be thanking his lucky stars that he ended up going the route that he did because if not, he certainly would be working the Indy circuits right now.

The thought of him as a World Champion in any fashion seems a little ridiculous though. Maybe if they booked it perfectly and he was more over(bot to say he's not over now, but he'd need more support) I could see it happening. But for now, he's comedic fodder and he does it beautifully.

Santino Marella is great in his comedic jobber role as it is right now. However, I seriously wouldn't mind him transitioning into a serious contender somewhere down the line in the next few years. It would be reminiscent of The Hurricane transitioning into his serious Gregory Helms role and becoming the longest-reigning Cruiserweight Champion in Smackdown history. Now, would he or could he become the World Champion? Certainly. If booked right and given some time, he very well could be and I can also imagine the entertainment value in it as well. But, the way I see it at the moment and in the unpredictable future, I really wouldn't mind seeing him in the upper mid-card ranks fighting for the United States Championship as I think that would be most appropriate for him. That YouTube video was indeed impressive.

I could EASILY see Santino pulling a Mick Foley and having different "faces". The man who plays Santino, Anthony Carelli, could be that type of performer. Foley played Mankind, Cactus Jack, and Dude Love. Carelli could play Santino, Boris, and maybe some kind of super Canadian gimmick. Not a Mountie, or Hockey player, but maybe some type of backwoods man from the upper or Northwestern parts of Canada. Just imagine his vignettes of just chopping wood in the cold, frigid Canadian weather. Have Carelli grow out a beard or something. Not exactly a Lumberjack gimmick, but a jacked up, hateful Canadian gimmick. Just exploring options here.

Anyway, I feel it's not too late for the Santino character. Sure, he's been a comedy jobber, but with time and a little build, I think that just about anyone could be turned into a respectable and believable world champion. If Mark Henry can come back from being a part of Mae Young giving giving birth to a hand, anyone can become Champ.

I really would like WWE to take him off the air for some time and repackage him. Though we all see him as a comedic jobber he has worked hard for the WWE and at some point of time can be deserving to a short-lived world title run if he is repackaged right.

its too late for him to amount to anything else than a comedic jobber no matter how long you take to improve his character the crowd wouldnt react as well he would just fall to JTG's level and thats worse than he is now sorry santino had potential to be a upper mid carder but its too late WWE dropped the ball

I think if i remember he got onto WWE TV by beating the late Umaga for the intercontinental title in a clean win

actullay it wasnt a clean win it was a no dq match and he won because bobby lashley came out and speared umaga and put santino over him for the pin....just saying.

but honestly even when he was taken seriously as a heel he wasnt good enough to be the world champion back then he didnt really have a solid finisher he used all the time and even when he was a heel doing the honkameter gimmick i found that funny but yeah sorry i dont think santino ever was good enough to be world champ nor will he ever be..but on the bright side he is gold as a comedy jobber

He doesn't need the title, or even to win...the crowd loves him in his comedic role. He's also become a bit pudgy...not really world champ material. I cannot envision him in a serious feud with Cena, Punk or Orton...even when he first came on, he was a decent midcarder, but I could not see him going past that. I think he found the perfect role for himself, so no big deal for Santino not to get the big title. I could see him take the IC title or the tag team title again, he's good working with a straight man...but I don't really see him at the top of the company. Again, no knock against him, I think he's hilarious, and perfect in his role...he's made more of it than Eugene or some others did.

Please let someone injure him and put him out for a while. Maybe he can come back and actually be serious. Or his career can be over.

I would take the career over option : v ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back