Santino Marella - World Champion?

I like him a lot they make lim look too stupid. I just hate that stupid cobra move that move is even dumber than the worm. Like I said before WWE should try more to make us laugh with Santino rather than laugh at him. Those are the best wrestlers ones that can make you laugh. The Rock Mick Foley Stone Cold CM Punk Jericho the names speak for themselves.

That video was pretty impressive. Initally when I read the OP's first thread, I thought "no way", but now I'm thinking that Santino could be a legit contender. Maybe not actually win the World Title, but he has the skills to be near the top of the card. A couple of things to consider:

If you watch the video, you can tell he can go in the ring. (Not that you can't tell that from what he does in his comedy role, but that video makes it more apparent.) He definitely has the skills. Nice moves, nice intensity. Again, you can see that even in his comedy role when he wrestles, but a lot of times it's tougher to see or take seriously in that role.

Yes, he's a little pudgy/not in the best shape right now, but his physique looked pretty good in the video, and if I remember correctly, he was in better shape when he won the IC belt from Umaga. So he could get back to that again, improve his body and lose the pudginess. Of course, he is on the smaller side, which would work against him. But Daniel Bryan is the World Champion right now, correct? Whatever people might think about that fact is one thing, but he has the belt. With Santino having a gimmick similar to the one in the video, is it that far of a stretch to think he could reach the top? Didn't he remind you a little of DB doing those rapid kicks? I think a gimmick like that would be believable on him despite his small stature because you can tell he has the skills legitimately. Again, I'm not saying he would actually win the title, but I really think he could be right near the top.

Lastly, as someone above mentioned, remember Sexual Chocolate? Mark Henry came back from one of the most ridiculous roles/storylines ever to win the belt and be one of the top heels. Granted, it was probably easier for him than it would be for Santino because of his size, but I think it could be done.

All this being said, he's obviously great in the comedy role as well.

unbelievable that this is a topic. No, Santino Marella is not World Champion material, and if he was not employed along with Hornswoggle as comic relief, he would not have a job in the company. Hell the guy isnt even Italian, he was born in Canada.

Santino only won the IC the first time as Raw was filmed in Italy and it was a great way to introduce this guy without exposing his weaknesses too much. Home crowd on the other side of the world being picked from the crowd. Of course he was going to be over. He dropped the belt immediately in the Stataes. His second run with the IC belt was a joke, hell he had the Honkymeter which was ENTERTAINMENT, then actually wrestled a fat bloated Honky Tonk Man in a title defense on PPV, another COMEDY MATCH. When WWE do not condier their major secondary title serious, you cannot take the title holder seriously. His tag team championshiop with that russian wanker was a joke as well. I give props to Mareela for his entertainment value, he is fucking hilarious, but to suggest he could ever or would ever be World Champion in WWE is another piss poor attempt at humour, this one not being funny.

I for one have declared my L-O-V-E for Santino Marella many times in this forum, and nothing would cap off his career any more than a WWE or World Heavyweight title reign. That said, with his small build (I believe he's smaller than Daniel Bryan?) and his reputation, I don't think it can be done without a lot of people just tuning out. Even if we pre-suppose that Santino Marella debuted as Boris Alexiev, there's no way that character would've progressed for long with him as small as he is.

Better for him to be comedy jobber for life, beloved by the millions (and MILLIONS!) who come looking for entertainment and get it when Santino walks out plays his part, than to be billed as an unbelievable force with a predictably short life-span.

Not to beat a dead horse when speaking of Mark Henry's career in 2011, but the truth is that Henry has taught that you can't completely write someone off. Mark Henry has been 400 pounds of irrelevancy almost his entire career and just came out of nowhere to be one of the biggest hits of 2011.

Santino is popular with fans, he does have personality, he does have some legit charisma and he can handle himself well on the mic. Santino does have some good in-ring ability as well. It's at least possible that Santino could rise to the ranks of being World Champion someday. It's not likely, but it's at least possible.

In order for that to happen, however, Santino would completely have to dump his current character, maybe even adopt a different look for himself and just generally push himself so hard that you can't help but be impressed with what he's doing. In short, at least in some ways, he has to do what Mark Henry has done. If given the opportunity, I think it could happen.

At the same time, however, I know that some people will never take Santino seriously as a legit main eventer and World Champion because of his comedy character. Truth is, I couldn't exaclty blame someone for that point of view. When someone has portrayed a certain character for so long and has just really thrown himself into it, it can be hard for people to see him as anything else. For instance, could you imagine Honky Tonk Man, who was a glorified Elvis impersonator, as a badass biker with a mohawk, tattoos all over him and a beard down to his collar bone? Probably not. That doesn't mean that couldn't have been able to pull the character off, but it's no guarantee that people would buy into him as anything other than what ultimately made his career.

What are your thoughts? Could he of become a world champ? Could he of become anything or was he always destined to be the comedic jobber?

I don't think Santino is world championship material, but the WWE World titles are so devalued at this point, it's at least possible he could have been, given different booking.

Santino wasn't a comedy jobber when he debuted. He was just a bland Italian wrestler with crappy ring attire. I think he's better in his current role as comic relief, than as a serious face or heel.

It seems to me that if they want to make him serious, and drop the accent, then WWE could put him in "Speech Classes".

Hell they erased Kane's burns.

If they cut some promos of him trying to lose the accent, and slowly becoming successful it would come of endearing, especially if he were to regularly stumble along the way.

Santino won't be a world champ any more than Doink, Eugene or Hornswoggle would ever be. Novelty acts are for novelty only. Like Santino, Doink and Eugene even had some wrestling ability, but it didn't matter because their function wasn't to use it, except for brief intervals in matches they usually wind up losing anyway. Even those quick displays of technical competence were for novelty purpose only.

Yes, Santino had a run as Intercontinental Champion almost 5 years ago, but that was before WWE decided to turn his character into a complete joke. I remember his debut, when he was "anonymously" pulled from the crowd in Italy and given a contract. He seemed normal enough and looked as if he knew what he was doing in the ring.

How and why the decision was made to turn him into a comedy act is anyone's guess, but don't be fooled by Santino defeating Drew McIntyre last week on Smackdown (that was a play on Drew's upcoming character direction, not Santino's)..... a comedy act is all Santino will be in WWE. Yes, that could change if the company ever decides to "serious up" his character...... but how, when and why they'd do that is the big question.

Santino will never be anything more than the joke that he is now within this gimmick. He is better off as a comedian anyhow though. I remember watching his debut when he won the Intercontinental Championship from Umaga in his first match. He seemed cool in his first interview and title defense, but soon people just did not care about him anymore. Santino was nothing more than (kayfabe) some random guy who won a midcard title his first night there. Then they tried the comedy act and they struck gold. Despite being a joke, he would not have lasted under his serious gimmick back in 2007. It got boring.

Santino could have been a star. Much bigger than he is now. They had something great when they gave him the comedy routine, but that should have been for promos only. They made him into a joke in the ring too, which is what caused him to be a joke for life. If he was a comedian on the mic but a strong contender in the ring, he would have quickly risen to the top and could have held a world title or two. It will never happen now because no one, and I mean NO ONE, could ever take him seriously. Even Michael Cole could be more believable as WWE Champion than Santino. It's a shame too, as he could have been a very memorable star for his hilarious promos AND skill in the ring, but they decided to make him into a joke in every sense of the word. He's hilarious, but will never be a world title contender now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back