Sheamus's Future - Discussion Thread

colalella2891

Pre-Show Stalwart
MODERATOR'S COMMENTS

This thread is the consolidation of four different threads that all discuss Sheamus's future as a WWE superstar. Please do not create any more threads in regards to this subject. Instead, let's keep the posts in here.

Thanks!
Wrestlezone Forum Moderators

So I may be jumping to conclusions, so maybe it's just me, but when Sheamus attacked Triple H last night on Raw, there was little reaction.

The crowed had a few boos in there, but not enough to satisfy me. As what was stated before, I only think Sheamus got heat before was because people didn't want him as the champion. But now that the WWE title is off his waist, I don't think the people are going to care as much.

What do you all think? Could Sheamus's reaction last night have been better, or is it just me feeling this way?

There was a fairly loud "Sheamus Sucks!" chant. I think we'll just have to wait it out and see what he can do now that the belt isn't around his waist. It all depends on how much time he gets on the mic. As long as he gets the upper hand on H the boos will be there. If he gets squashed or loses in a short match at Mania he may be in trouble and could see a move to Smackdown.

Little reaction? I'm not sure what you were watching but the crowd was making a pretty good amount of noise when Sheamus laid Triple H out in the ring. There was also a pretty good "Sheamus sucks" chant going on as well, so I think you might just be jumping the gun a bit on this one.

However, that's not to say that the jury on Sheamus overall isn't still out. A great deal about Sheamus' future as a star could hang on the next three and a half weeks. They're going to have to build up the Triple H/Sheamus match for 'Mania. If Sheamus goes over Triple H at WrestleMania, it'll be huge for him. Personally, that's what I hope happens and I think it will could show the WWE's interest for Sheamus in the long run.

If you look back, Sheamus has never really had a particularly fantastic reaction from the crowd. They put him with two of the biggest guys in the company and he still couldn't get the proper response. It's no surprise that without the title, there's even less, as now there's no aura of importance and people can just look at Sheamus as what he really is - incredibly overrated, pushed too fast, and someone who doesn't have remotely the future that they tried to build him up as having.

He's just not that BIG enought to be a big deal IMO. True, there was a loud "sheamus sucks" chant, but without the WWE title, he is just another person that will have to make his bones.
Maybe some ppl will say he already did as he was WWE champ, but that 2 me was a fluke and not really worth much. I gotta agree... He can't draw without that title. Weather it was against a big name or an up and comer, WE wanted him to LOSE that title and viewed for that, now he is "titleless" and pretty unimportant as of now, as I don't see vince putting "the strap" back on him untill he gets a little more "over" as an all around character.

I think he got a descent amount of heat, but anyone that beats down HHH is going to get booed. I think he's got potential to be a top heel for a long time.It depends on how's he's booked in the near future. Feuding with HHH should help him as long as he's not squashed by him at WrestleMania.

What I heard was a fairly good or decent raction to sheamus laying out triple h.

But Sheamus to me hasn't even been in the company long enough to get that kind of a reaction because he's only been in the company 7 or 8 months. I somebody doesn't get that big of a heat that fast. He needs to slowly get over with the crowd. He can fued with a few main eventers but until he gets a pin fall victory with one of the main eventers in a one-on-one match he doesn't even deserve that kind of heat. Oh and they shouldn't put the WWE title on him for a while because right now I'm fully behind Sheamus but when he had the WWE title I wasn't because I feel he got it to fast.

Sheamus sucks and is NOT a good heel, but yet the WWE has fooled most of you into acceptin him as good and you fell for it, you drank The Sheamus Juice!

They toy with the fact that you all dont like Cena in the main event picture all the time and with the title and tested it with Carlito's promo, Jesse mentioned it

what they did with Sheamus was clever. They used your hate for Cena (knowing you'd cheer anything especially a new star going over him) to mak Sheamus a star by giving him an extremely unfair and untraditional push. Drew is being pushed correctly, but not Sheamus

In the long run, you all need to stop praising this guy because if HHH has anything to do with it which he already has a lot to, you'll be hating him being in the main event within a year

He is NOTHING special and a waste of time and slap in the face to Morrison, MVP, guys who shouldve been champ before that guy ever got close enough to sniff the belt

Sheamus couldn't draw WITH the title let alone without it. You only draw when you put butts in seats, not a knock against Sheamus but I don't think anyone ever bought a ticket to see that guy in action (I don't think people bought tickets to see him lose either, he was champ but he certainly wasn't a focal point of the show). People may have given him a reaction when he was champ (mostly because a good chunk wanted Sheamus to lose the title) but people were there to watch Cena, Orton, Jericho, Mysterio and a few others, but not Sheamus (I can honestly say I've never heard someone say I watched RAW to see Sheamus). The day Sheamus sells tickets we can have this discussion but until then there is no point.

I'm afraid you are without a doubt jumping to conclusions friend. I've been one of the more vocal people on this board in criticizing Sheamus and the decision to give him the WWE title, but to say he can't draw without the title it more than a bit ridiculous considering he's only about a week removed from being champion and he hasn't had a single match to try and draw people to. Seriously, how can you criticize his drawing ability after being champion before he's even been in a new match yet? I have confidence in Triple H's ability to get Sheamus over, so I really don't see his drawing power being a problem. Besides, with all the other main event matches for Wrestlemania already announced, it really doesn't even matter if Sheamus can draw or not. I actually think he and Triple H could have a pretty damn good match if under the right circumstances, but we'll just have to wait and see. I'm not discounting your opinion yet at all, but you definitely need to be more patient man, it will take awhile before we can really make a fair judgment about Sheamus' drawing power of lack thereof.

6 minutes of air time and you are saying he doesn't get a reaction? He just started to build up his future feud with Triple H when he attacked him on Raw, causing massive boos from the crowd. For those few short minutes, I think he drew the reaction he had desired. And this is coming off of a feud with Orton, another heel, and then the elimination match. He has a few weeks to build up before Wrestlemania, so in that time we will see what his reaction will truly be.

Reactions: TLC
Why are you so concerned about his ability to draw?

Does he entertain you? He sure as hell entertains me. I think he is one of the best bully heels we have seen in some time. His moveset looks painful, he is ruthless, he is athletic, and he is generally remorseless. I think he is the entire package and is still just learning. He meets the standards to entertain me.

Did he ever draw? Of course not. He was a nameless rookie with the title. It's the belt that draws. The belt, however, did do wonders for him. He never gave the impression that there was pressure to perform. He just kept doing the same thing he was doing before he had the belt - beating people up. Now, the next time that he gets a title shot, more people will be interested in what happens, especially if he goes over HHH clean at Wrestlemania.

Is it a heels job to draw? Fuck no! Rick Flair and Hulk Hogan are the only heels to actually draw. It is usually the job of the face of the get enough people behind him in his quest to take down the big bad heel champ. Sheamus did his job, and is still doing it very well. He is supposed to look tough and be intimidating, and I don't think there is a question at all that he succeeds on both of those accounts.

Sheamus can draw?? Wait, wait a minute......Sheamus can draw????

Im sorry, but i must ask twice, becuz during about 60% of his title reign..i didnt watch Raw.....and there was nothing that made me think that he could draw.

Ok...ok...I watched the Royal Rumble...but any jacka$$ knew that had WAY more to do with Orton than anything that was hanging on Sheamus waist....and what do you know...it turned out that way. Raise your hand if your shocked. Seriously.....raise your hand if you shocked............................yeah, i dont think i need to ask again.

He beat Evan Bourne while champion.........................o.....k........proves nothing.

Jerry Lawler.............................wow...big ups for THAT ONE.

Then the Elimination Chamber comes around..and bye-bye championship. Hell, even tho he held the belt for 2 months, you still have to walk away thinking CMPunks' and Jeff Hardy's "Sneeze and youll miss it" title reigns were at the very least more respectible.

To me Sheamus=Tommy Rich+Genetic Jackhammer Family influence= THE FANS HAVE TO DEAL WITH HIM IN THE *cough* HISTORY BOOKS.

He wasnt big like Yokozuna............muscle-bound as Batista.......he didnt have wrestling in his blood like Orton....HELL, he is no where as charasmatic as the Rock.........yet he still is put on the same level impact wise as those other.............who HAS A REASON for being up there so fast.

So while i know it has been said before, Sheamus.....WWE champion.....really ?? (and thats with 8 weeks to prove himself). Say, isnt ROH on on mondays...yeah.
only thing he did is make John Cena less hateable to the WIC. Cena deserved a break...but at this expense?????

Why wasnt I born loving the flavor of HHH's............*cough cough*..........I could be champ by now.

Sheamus couldn't draw WITH the title let alone without it. -clip-

This is what I came in here to say. Sheamus is nothing. Sheamus doesn't matter at ALL. He is boring, stale, and uninteresting. He has no distinguishable quality that sets him apart from any other big boring heel. He is bland in the ring and has too much work to do on the mic to make it worthwhile. His intensity looks forced. He is a paler, red-headed, Mike Knox. You might as well give the title to a steel chair, at least people react when they see one in the ring. If Sheamus is ever going to matter, HHH has to work some magic in their eventual match at WM.

I also thought the reaction Sheamus got while attacking Triple H was pretty weak. I totally agree that this guy probably doesn't have that bright of a future. Sure, being in a match with HHH at Mania is always a big deal, but I think this is more of a case of WWE wanting this guy to succeed..no matter what the people think.

I truly believe that if Sheamus gets less-than killer heat at Mania his push may be over. And even if he gets major heat, he is probably going to have to show the fans and the WWE that he can actually wrestle a solid and lengthy match. Before this, he got a pass while working with Cena (IMO). Cena isn't the greatest competitor out there, and it's hard for anyone to make themselves look good with him in the ring. But HHH can carry a guy (at least a lot more so than Cena).

So, I think this may be the end of Sheamus' big run. I really don't see this guy putting on a hell of a match at Mania, even being in there with HHH. You hear time and time again that Hunter is the one pushing for this guy to be huge in the WWE. If Sheamus puts forth a terrible wrestling performance at Mania, he may lose his "big brother" in Triple H, and I think that will be the end of Sheamus.

Sheamus was pushed way too fast and was never believable as a champion because he was a fluke champion.... It's a miracle he got any reaction at all. Hearing the announcers refer to him as "the former WWE Champion" just didn't sound right. I agree with the threadstarter, Sheamus' heat while he was champion had more to do with the fans not wanting his fluke reign rather than it being true heel heat. Sheamus just got pushed too fast and he needs to be built up properly before some fans will take him seriously, a Wrestlemania feud against Trips might be a step in the right direction.... Sheamus will need to be put over if this match happens because he can't draw TRUE heel heat with OR without the title yet.

I'm afraid you are without a doubt jumping to conclusions friend. I've been one of the more vocal people on this board in criticizing Sheamus and the decision to give him the WWE title, but to say he can't draw without the title it more than a bit ridiculous considering he's only about a week removed from being champion and he hasn't had a single match to try and draw people to. Seriously, how can you criticize his drawing ability after being champion before he's even been in a new match yet? I have confidence in Triple H's ability to get Sheamus over, so I really don't see his drawing power being a problem. Besides, with all the other main event matches for Wrestlemania already announced, it really doesn't even matter if Sheamus can draw or not. I actually think he and Triple H could have a pretty damn good match if under the right circumstances, but we'll just have to wait and see. I'm not discounting your opinion yet at all, but you definitely need to be more patient man, it will take awhile before we can really make a fair judgment about Sheamus' drawing power of lack thereof.

I totally agree. Sheamus is still "wet behind the ears" so this whole thread is ridiculous. I can't recall any wrestler that was an absolute instant draw. Sheamus is one of those unique guys who has to kind of rub off on people. In time he definitely will, with or without the title on his waist. I really thought he looked good without the belt when he ran in and attacked triple although i was hoping he was going to put him through the table. Besides that stupid spinner belt only fits cena. But whether anyone realizes it or not, sheamus success will also depend on if he changes his finisher move.

I didn't hate Sheamus as champ. In fact it was a nice change of pace. Unfortunately, they never legitimized it by having him actually win a match as champ (against a main-eventer. beating borne doesn't count). It's not surprising that he doesn't draw as well without the belt because they never gave him a chance to shine with it. Even when he battled Bourne, it wasn't a squash match. Which IMO if you're going to bill this guy as the giant type and not have him squash Borne who weighs as much as I do why bother putting the two together in the first place?

He one the title in a not-so-decisive manner (let's be honest pushing Cena through a table is not the same as slamming him through one, Cena seemed more surprised than hurt at the end of the match). WWE spent so much time building him up to have him do nothing. He lost the rematch by dq. He won to Orton by dq and then he lost the title (while not being the last man eliminated in the EC).

WWE seemed to do everything in its power to make this guy look like a fluke champion. As far as the heat Monday night. It was ok but it seemed a little lacking for a guy who just got off a 3 month heel-champ reign attacking one of the top faces in the biz.

Why are you so concerned about his ability to draw?

Does he entertain you? He sure as hell entertains me. I think he is one of the best bully heels we have seen in some time. His moveset looks painful, he is ruthless, he is athletic, and he is generally remorseless. I think he is the entire package and is still just learning. He meets the standards to entertain me.

Did he ever draw? Of course not. He was a nameless rookie with the title. It's the belt that draws. The belt, however, did do wonders for him. He never gave the impression that there was pressure to perform. He just kept doing the same thing he was doing before he had the belt - beating people up. Now, the next time that he gets a title shot, more people will be interested in what happens, especially if he goes over HHH clean at Wrestlemania.

Is it a heels job to draw? Fuck no! Rick Flair and Hulk Hogan are the only heels to actually draw. It is usually the job of the face of the get enough people behind him in his quest to take down the big bad heel champ. Sheamus did his job, and is still doing it very well. He is supposed to look tough and be intimidating, and I don't think there is a question at all that he succeeds on both of those accounts.

:worship:THIS!!!!

To add a little, I've been to a live show and Sheamus can def get heat.

Also- i was thinkinh Sheamus would be involved with the MitB match at WM, maybe even be a front runner for holding onto the breif case for a while. still not too late to add HHH and sheamus, but we can all see now its going to be one on one HHH v. Sheamus @ WM. I think either way Sheamus being at WM continues his push, he's going to be around for a while.

I am still trying to figure out why everyone wants to put this guy down. I just don't get it. "Sheamus can't draw without the title".... the guy has has approximately 2 minutes of TV since dropping the belt. In that 2 minutes, he laid a pretty good beating on Triple H to a chorus of boos from the crowd and a rather pronounced 'Sheamus sucks' chant. In my opinion that was a pretty successful showing.

I am still trying to figure out why everyone wants to put this guy down. I just don't get it. "Sheamus can't draw without the title".... the guy has has approximately 2 minutes of TV since dropping the belt. In that 2 minutes, he laid a pretty good beating on Triple H to a chorus of boos from the crowd and a rather pronounced 'Sheamus sucks' chant. In my opinion that was a pretty successful showing.

It's because the IWC is full of a bunch of impatient ass holes that just want to blow off steam for the sake of blowing off steam. 80% of them don't have a clue as to what they're talking about.

Like RVDGurl and many others have said, the guy's been removed from the world title for about 15 minutes, had ONE segment on TV, and you're all crucifying him. Typical IWC bullshit.

You want to judge him on the crowd reaction? Did you forget that his attack on Triple H occurred right after an important point in the night? The crowd was still shocked by HBK's reaction when he left Triple H in the middle of the ring. They still had all eyes on Shawn and weren't expecting Sheamus to attack. But once he did, the crowd's jaws simulateously opened, and a decent pop came out. But since it wasn't as deafening as a Stone Cold Attitude Era entrance, you think he's not drawing? Get your head out of your ass.

People on these forums really need to stop making threads just for the sake of making threads. I really wish they had some real validity and put more than about 10 seconds of thought towards the BS threads they create.

Actually I must admit there's something about Sheamus dropping the title that makes me want to watch him more, it's not that he's more exciting as a regular roster member rather than a world champion, it's more the fact that, well he has just lost the title, the first thing he does after returning from his little break, is beat up Triple H, that makes me want to tune in next week, merely to see what the hell Triple H is gonna do to Sheamus, or how their gonna build this, as there's obviously been things about the rumor that Triple H was facing Sheamus at Wrestlemania.

And if Triple H and Sheamus for Wrestlemania is gonna be a lock, I'm sure as hell gonna follow it, because something tells me it could be a fairly interesting match to be quite honest, so I'm just gonna go ahead and disagree with the threads title, cause he obviously draw atleast a bit, and because as so many people has said before me, we cannot deny the fact that the heat he got on Raw wasn't exactly horrific.

I think Sheamus's whole "aura" as champion was the fact that it came out of nowhere and he was a fresh person with the belt, so that unexpected aspect of him being champ etc kept him interesting.

But while he had the belt, i cant really recall him doing anything "ground breaking" to build his character. He beat up on scrubs, ran into matches and interfered....but did he really do anything memorable to build him into a credible champion? Not in my opinion. He seemed like nothing more then a paper champion.

The fact that they didnt build/hype him up much at all while he was champ is now leaking into his aura without the belt. He just doesnt seem to be able to be taken seriously now. Sure, he was champ, but he did nothing with the strap to garner any heat etc.

I think he's just incredibly stale now. Unless they do something quickly to give him more of a persona, I think he's going to go down the drain quick and people will not care two licks about him anymore.

I don’t think can he draw without the title should be the question, its will he be able to stand with the people who draw the crowds. (Not many heels in the history of WWE were the draws, and three of them might be considered the best of all time, Flair, HHH, and Taker) anyways what I see them trying is to get him ready for after WM26. HBK and Taker will both be gone after WM26 for a while. Batista goes back to Smackdown probably which means Cena has the belt. That leaves who until Summerslam on Raw… HHH, Orton, we have seen and played all of these scenarios. Granted their is the draft but many stars are almost locked in, Sheamus is on the quick run to heel stardom in Vince’s eyes and he has got to get him as a major heel quickly. Do I like him, no, but you can kind of see the potential of him rising as an Orton type heel. WWE needs more heels, who better than a guy who beat Cena for the belt, beat Orton, and maybe HHH at WM26? The question is can he stand toe to toe with these guys???

I think this is why they are immediately pairing him up with Triple H. If anyone can get him to that next elite level and put him over, its Trip. Look what he did for Batista.

As to the question of what is the allure of Sheamus? I think the allure for me is that they are selling him as this guy who, even though he is new, doesn't give a rats ass if you are established or not. If you've angered him, he's coming for you. I mean, running in on Orton?!! That's crazy, who would do that as a heel? Sheamus did and I loved it. Running in on Triple H, thus starting this feud will set the bar for him I believe. I think I read on this site that Trips is high on both Sheamus and McIntyre. It's no surprise to see this angle get going into Wrestlemania.

I look forward to the story being told in the ring. I got hopes for this guy. Especially since Orton seems to be going face soon, you need Sheamus to be this monstrous heel right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back