Third Round - Mexico City: Dog Collar Match - Rick Rude vs. Chris Jericho

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Rick Rude

• Chris Jericho

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a third round match in the Mexico City Region.

Rules: The wrestlers will be bound together by an eight foot chain, attached to dog collars around their necks. The only way to win is via pinfall, and anything goes.

1397119697_676518d594.jpg

Dog Collar Match

Rick Rude

rude2.jpg

Vs.

Chris Jericho

Undisputed-World-Champion-Chris-Jericho.jpg

Voting is open for 4 days.

Whichever way you look at this, Rude is simply better. Smarter, stronger, as quick if not quicker, better finisher, better mat skills, better mic skills. This is the guy that also beat The Ultimate Warrior, something practically no-one else did. Jericho is, and always has been, nothing more than an elevated midcarder. Unfortunately he was given more of a chance on top than Rude ever was.

Chris Jericho is the clear victor here. Jericho is roughly the same age right now that Rude was when he died, and he has achieved far more than Rude ever did. Rick Rude was a wrestler based around his great look, and when you look back all this look helped achieve was to make other wrestlers look good once they beat him. People call Jericho a jobber to the stars, but I think Rude is just as guilty of this, if not more, than Jericho. Jericho would take this match way you look at it, he is the more intelligent wrestler, and has more experience in special stipulation matches.

In a match which favours neither, it comes down to who is the better wrestler. Look at the two titles they're both holding - Rude holding the admittedly more prestigious-than-now IC title and his painted IC title. Jericho is holding the World Titles of the two biggest wrestling companies in North America. Easy choice.

I am putting my vote towards Rick Rude. this match is about brute strength at being able to haul your opponent around the ring becoming the master to their dog. A lot of Jericho's offence involves flying around whether it is a codebreaker or lionsault. Now Rude is a firmly grounded man and would easily have the advantage!

Jericho's match to lose here.

Jericho is a very intelligent competitor, and isn't manhandled very often. Rude was a showboat, so he is very susceptible to being caught with a quick finisher like the Codebreaker, and would be tougher to evade the Walls of Jericho or the Liontamer. Jericho enters a lot of matches as the underdog, yet he comes out on top a lot, especially in gimmicky matches.

I'll try not to vote purely on preference here.

Dog collar match, Jericho knows he's at a disadvantage here. So he's going to find some sneaky-snake way of putting and keeping the match in his favor. Jericho gets the win here, easily.

I am the biggest Jericho mark on these forums, and even I don't think this is a shoe-in match for him.

Jericho's specialty has never been the brutal-style gimmick match. He has a losing record in a number of them. Plus, the dog collar does not favor a high flyer. I think the presence of the collar and chain hinders his ability to use the Lionsault, whereas Rude using the chain to add damage to his neckbreaker is formidable.

I'm not voting yet, but honestly, I think the gimmick favors Rude, not Jericho.

Rick Rude.

He's much bigger and stronger than Jericho, and he would just manhandle the guy all around the ring. Plus, the majority believe Jericho's prime as in when he's a heel, and the fact is... when Jericho is a heel, he's also a pussy. And Rude would completely dominate this pussy throughout the entire match. No doubt about it.

Moreover, honestly... I even prefer heel Rick Rude over heel Chris Jericho. Chris Jericho is and always has been a more enjoyable face in my opinion (specifically looking at his Lionheart days). Jericho as a heel, on the other hand, bores the ever living shit out of me, whereas Rude makes me love to hate him. Easy, easy choice here for me.

In a match which favours neither, it comes down to who is the better wrestler. Look at the two titles they're both holding - Rude holding the admittedly more prestigious-than-now IC title and his painted IC title. Jericho is holding the World Titles of the two biggest wrestling companies in North America. Easy choice.

Um, actually, you're a bit wrong there, sir. To say the IC Title was the most established belt Rude held is only a half truth. He was, as well, WCW International Heavyweight Champion. In case you don't recognize it, that's the belt that Chris Jericho happens to lose the same month he wins it. That's the exact same Big Gold Belt that was WCW's World Title, and is now the World Heavyweight Championship in WCW. So to say that Rick Rude was never a world champion, as some of you have said in this poll, is clearly wrong. Rick Rude won a title that was very similar to the World Heavyweight Championship that is held in WCW today. Except, you know, WCW eventually merged those belts, just like the WWE should do with their belts.

But I digress. The point being, Rude and Jericho actually attained the same status in their respective companies. Jericho has been, and always will be, the guy that is never deserving of the WWE Title. Even in his one reign with the main belt, he was a horrendous flop. Granted, he wasn't nearly as bad as people will think, but he was still pretty damn bad. Do you ever find it funny that Jericho has Three World Heavyweight Championship victories and Two WCW World Heavyweight Championships, both which typically run second fiddle to the WWE Title, but has only had the WWE Title once? It's because while he's a great wrestler, he isn't the face of the company.

You can say the same thing about Rude, except you should probably include that Rude was meaner, more vicious, smarter, and most importantly in this match, stronger than Chris Jericho. Plenty of this is going to depend of the neck strength of both men. And while Jericho looks like he weight trains with the Pillsbury Doughboy, Rude was absolutely stacked in his training regimen. He may very well have been, pound for pound, the strongest man in wrestling. Bar none. And that is going to play a role in this match.

Oh yeah, and Rude gathered a thousand times the heel heat Chris Jericho ever did.

Chris Jericho is the clear victor here. Jericho is roughly the same age right now that Rude was when he died, and he has achieved far more than Rude ever did.

Again, not exactly true. Both of these men have proven themselves to be second tier superstars of their companies. So they're pretty much interchangeable.

Rick Rude was a wrestler based around his great look,

No. No. No.

My God, do you do anything besides follow what the picture says of the guy? Rude was actually an outstanding amateur wrestler coming out of college. He was far more than a power guy, he was actually the guy that got Warrior over as a wrestler in the late eighties. McMahon trusted Rude to carry Warrior out there like a toddler, because Rude was that damn good in the ring. Sure, he didn't do the flippy flip like you may like, but he was still a fantastic ground based wrestler. I'm not sure where you get this idea of a wrestler based off his look. His gimmick was based off a look, but not him as a wrestler.

and when you look back all this look helped achieve was to make other wrestlers look good once they beat him. People call Jericho a jobber to the stars, but I think Rude is just as guilty of this, if not more, than Jericho.

You just contradicted yourself.

Earlier, you just said Jericho had done more in the business. Now, you say they both pretty much were the same status in wrestling. You need to pick whether it's one or the other.

Jericho would take this match way you look at it, he is the more intelligent wrestler, and has more experience in special stipulation matches.

Actually, Rude was always a really intelligent wrestler himself. I'd say they are equal in intelligence, and this whole "experience in special stipulation matches" means diddley squat, considering that Jericho has little experience in this match. For that matter, I don't think he's even been in a strap match before in his career. So that whole "experience" is really a myth, frankly.

Jericho's match to lose here.

Ah, someone gets it, Jericho to lose here.

Yes, I get what you're saying. Simple twist of the words, you know?

Jericho is a very intelligent competitor, and isn't manhandled very often. Rude was a showboat, so he is very susceptible to being caught with a quick finisher like the Codebreaker, and would be tougher to evade the Walls of Jericho or the Liontamer.

Except, Twist, these finishers are null and void in a dog collar match. Simply put, Jericho can't get close enough to be able to execute these moves on Rude. And the Walls have no use in this match, seeing as how you can only win by pinfall.

Jericho enters a lot of matches as the underdog, yet he comes out on top a lot, especially in gimmicky matches.

But he's not the underdog, Twist. Rude is. And the same can be said for Rude. See: Match against the Ultimate Warrior at Wrestlemania V. Or his match against Ric Flair for the WCW International Heavyweight Title. Rude is actually the underdog, and in this gimmick match, should get the win

So Tenta just called Flair, "Rick Flair". Wow. Anyway, this is Rick Rude all the way. Jericho's not a brutal guy. He's finesse and strategy. Rude is a strong man who can be brutalizing when needed. And this kind of match isn't for the faint of heart. It takes shear guts, a high tolerance for pain, and the ability to inflict tons of pain on your opponent.

No way Jericho can be competitive in this match. If he wins, it's because more people know who he is.

Rude wins this in a bloody battle.

So Tenta just called Flair, "Rick Flair". Wow.

[YOUTUBE]DhrfhjLd9e4&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

:lol:

I actually noticed this a few seconds ago, and was going to edit it before you caught me, you crafty veteran, you.

Anyway, Lariat brings up a fantastic point in saying that this a brutal man's match. A strap match/dog collar match, is rarely ever won by the better wrestler, but usually by the more brutal and violent one.

Case in point; Starrcade 1983, between Greg Valentine and Roddy Piper. Greg is probably the better ring wrestler than Roddy Piper, and can probably outwrestle Piper. But Piper was a more brutal wrestler, and was more willing to get his hands bloody. Hence, well....

[YOUTUBE]ooAyDSd0u9k[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]qVLeQdSx4bI&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

The better wrestler rarely wins a Dog Collar Match. It's usually the more brutal, and the more "hardcore", for a lack of better word.

That, my friends, is Rick Rude.

For those unaware, Jericho has actually competed in a Dog-Collar match once in his career, against Perry Saturn at WCW Uncensored 1999. (I probably remember this better than most because I happened to get to see it in person.) Although he did lose to Saturn, it was, I think, his last WCW match (I know it was the on last PPV, not sure about Nitro) before jumping ship to WWE,So from a Non-Kayfabe POV, there was no way WCW was gonna let him win that one. So Y2J does have experience with the Dog Collar. Plus, people seem to forget Jericho has been in plenty of brutal gimmick matches, including Ladder, TLC, Last Man Standing, Elimination Chamber, and Hell in a Cell.

Rick Rude, on the other hand, has had very little experience in gimmick matches. The only ones I could find any record of him being in were a cage match and War Games, although its possible I may have missed some.
So while Rick Rude does have the power advantage, Jericho has proven he can take a beating, and I think Jericho is craftier, and has the better background going into this match, so I am going to have to go with y2j in this one.

For those unaware, Jericho has actually competed in a Dog-Collar match once in his career, against Perry Saturn at WCW Uncensored 1999. (I probably remember this better than most because I happened to get to see it in person.) Although he did lose to Saturn, it was, I think, his last WCW match

I think this should really be the damning piece of evidence against Y2J here. Yes, I am well aware of the match, that's why I've never said that Jericho wasn't in a dog collar match. I was baiting the first stat boy that had to say it, and had to be the one to say "FYI, Jericho Has been in one of these matches." I was waiting for somebody to bring up the ill fated Uncensored 1999. And granted, you put up a decent defense for it, except for the fact that Jericho actually did wrestle some more matches for WCW after this point. He finally signed with the WWE on June 30th, roughly three months between His supposed last match with WCW. Sure, he wasn't very visible, but he still worked matches with WCW on house shows. They wouldn't dare bring him on television, because they just wanted him to do minimal work.

Anyway, let's just consider your reasoning for a second:

Chris Jericho lost

You know, this isn't actually shocking in itself. Jericho actually typically does lose a whole lot. It's pretty much his job at this point. He's actually 4-5 at Wrestlemania, which accidently isn't that horrendous. But when you add that one of those wins cam in a Triple Threat Match he had already lost once, and that another was against three legends, you kind of realize Jericho has a bad habit of losing when it matters most.

To Perry Saturn

Let's just back up the van really quickly: Perry Saturn was the man to beat him in this match. Perry Saturn. Your argument is null as to Jericho leaving, as Perry Saturn did all of dick in WCW. Perry Saturn had absolutely no business beating this man who all have proclaimed this fantastic wrestler. It's still fucking Perry Saturn. He was a good wrestler, but a lower mid carder at WCW. The fact that he lost to a stronger, more "hardcore" wrestler should show you that is completely where Jericho sputters and epically fails.

In this exact same match.

Hello, you brought up a loss in this same match, to a character that was never the star Rick Rude was. Rude, at one time, was a Heavyweight Champion, while Perry Saturn's greatest claim to fame is a TV Title win.

I don't know what more to say people; A Jericho defender actually cited the exact same reasons Jericho should lose this match. If he can't beat Perry Saturn, what makes you think Jericho can beat a stronger, and overall better, wrestler in that same exact match.

Think for a second before voting...

Chris Jericho is the most popular wrestler in the IWC today, which will almost certainly allow him to win this match fairly easily. Just look all over these forums and all over the internet, the amount of love he gets is incredible. Therefore it probably won't be a popular opinion that I think he is one of the most overrated wrestlers in the world today. He is one of the worst world champions in living memory. He looks like a 12 year old boy, which means he can never be taken seriously as a legitimate world champion or main eventer. His offense is often weak looking and sloppy, and his selling isn't always convincing.

However, he is a pretty good worker, and a great upper mid-carder. The same can also be said about Rick Rude. But just about anything Jericho can do, Rude could do it better.

Kayfabe simply cannot be used to argue for Jericho to win this match, or just about any other match he has in this tournament. That's because he is a notorious loser. He loses on a seemingly weekly basis against very, very weak competition. Guys like R-Truth, Kofi Kingston, JTG, MVP and even NXT Rookie Heath Fucking Slater have CLEAN victories over him. If he can lose to these guys so easily and so frequently, then he can lose to anyone in this tournament.

I see its been stated that Jericho has already once been in this match and lost but the reason I still voted for him was because he wasn't even close to his prime yet back in WCW. I don't know if we're suppose to assume that all these wrestlers we vote for are in there prime but I do.
Yes Rude would manhandle Jericho but J would get dirty and use the chain against Rude to even it out. And when Rude goes for the Rude Awakening Jericho spins him and counters into the Code Breaker which he didn't have back in WCW.

Chris Jericho has actually had two dog collar matches, fact fans. The one he lost to Perry Saturn and the one he won against, errr... Lizmark, on the Nitro before. And Lizmark had won 2, that's right 2! singles matches in the 2 years he had been on WCW before that match, one of them a count out victory against the man who would late head up the nWo. Well, nWo Black and White, so that'd be Stevie Ray. By count out. So not sure that works in his favour. He was more experienced going into the match with Saturn than Saturn, but still lost. But it was his last PPV appearance, so perhaps we can let that one slide.

I was really coming down on Rude's side, but then I looked at Jericho's match history and I noticed something. He tends to win gimmick matches that he should lose, with pieces of ingenuity:

I imagine he may be able to pull off something similar here. It was a really close decision this one. Jericho is difficult to place because he beats everyone and loses to everyone.

Yes, I am well aware of the match, that's why I've never said that Jericho wasn't in a dog collar match. I was baiting the first stat boy that had to say it, and had to be the one to say "FYI, Jericho Has been in one of these matches." I was waiting for somebody to bring up the ill fated Uncensored 1999. And granted, you put up a decent defense for it, except for the fact that Jericho actually did wrestle some more matches for WCW after this point. He finally signed with the WWE on June 30th, roughly three months between His supposed last match with WCW. Sure, he wasn't very visible, but he still worked matches with WCW on house shows. They wouldn't dare bring him on television, because they just wanted him to do minimal work.
First off, How were you baiting me exactly? And how am I a "stat boy" for mentioning a match that, to be honest, I really only remember because I happened to be at the show? I assumed most people were unaware of this match, or had forgotten about it because, in all honesty, it was pretty forgettable. And yeah, he may have wrestled on some house shows after this, but when did house shows (especially in WCW), count for anything. Plus I admitted I wasn't 100% sure if it was his actual last match, I only said it was his last PPV match for sure, but you conveniently cut off that part of the quote just to make your point.

Let's just back up the van really quickly: Perry Saturn was the man to beat him in this match. Perry Saturn. Your argument is null as to Jericho leaving, as Perry Saturn did all of dick in WCW. Perry Saturn had absolutely no business beating this man who all have proclaimed this fantastic wrestler. It's still fucking Perry Saturn. He was a good wrestler, but a lower mid carder at WCW.
While Jericho may not have actually signed the contract with McMahon yet, according to Jericho's book, he told Bischoff back in November of 1998 that he would not be resigning his contract with WCW. Bischoff made Jericho lose the TV title that same day to Konnan. And despite the fact Jericho was being punished, he still beat Saturn on the 2 previous Pay Per views, mostly so they had a reason to put Saturn in the dress and change his gimmick up. Plus Bischoff was still hoping to persuade him to stay, and still gave him a few wins at that point in case he did, although by the time Uncensored rolled around, it was pretty obvious Jericho was leaving.
And to say Saturn did not accomplish anything in WCW is quite the stretch. While Saturn may not have ever been a main eventer, not long after their feud ended he won the tag titles, which he held twice. The fact is Saturn was in the middle of getting a push, and Jericho was heading out the door, so of course they had Saturn win.

The fact that he lost to a stronger, more "hardcore" wrestler should show you that is completely where Jericho sputters and epically fails.

Hello, you brought up a loss in this same match, to a character that was never the star Rick Rude was. Rude, at one time, was a Heavyweight Champion, while Perry Saturn's greatest claim to fame is a TV Title win.

Your right about one thing, Saturn wasn't near the star Rude was. But Jericho was hardly the star he was to become at this point in his career. Jericho since has beat Shawn Michaels in a very brutal Ladder match. Rick Rude, on the other hand, lost a Steel Cage match to the Ultimate Warrior. Jericho won an Elimination Chamber match, Rick Rude's team lost a War games match. Jericho and Chris Benoit won a Tag Team TLC match, Rick Rude, lost to Roddy Piper in a cage match. The best I can tell, and again, I could be wrong about this, Rick Rude has "epically failed" every type of gimmick match he has been put in. How do you like those stats. Jericho, on the other hand, while he does have his share of defeats in gimmick matches, (mostly to HHH, but I think we all know the real reason for those,) he has proven he can pull it out. So I am going with Y2J.

I don't think we really appreciate how significant Jericho is to the business. He held the WCW and WWE World Titles at the same time...and was the first to ever do it.

That alone has me vote for him over Rick Rude. I don't care what the gimmick match is. Rude is great, but he isn't on the same level as Jericho. We need to give this man the respect he deserves as a legend and put him over Rick Rude here. It's the right thing to do.

EDIT - I just read through the posts. Thanks for the stats, and refreshing my memory. Jericho wins this one easily. He has won all sorts of gimmick matches in the past.

Again, not exactly true. Both of these men have proven themselves to be second tier superstars of their companies. So they're pretty much interchangeable.win

Well actually, what I consider Rude lacking in this department is versatility. Jericho is capable of competing in the main event, or else being used to elevate a lesser title such as the IC or tag titles. Rude was never in this position, because he never made it to the main event in the same way that Jericho did. In terms of achievements, accolades and impact on the business, Jericho beats out Rude substantially.

No. No. No.

My God, do you do anything besides follow what the picture says of the guy? Rude was actually an outstanding amateur wrestler coming out of college. He was far more than a power guy, he was actually the guy that got Warrior over as a wrestler in the late eighties. McMahon trusted Rude to carry Warrior out there like a toddler, because Rude was that damn good in the ring. Sure, he didn't do the flippy flip like you may like, but he was still a fantastic ground based wrestler. I'm not sure where you get this idea of a wrestler based off his look. His gimmick was based off a look, but not him as a wrestler.

I think perhaps that you should be less presumptuous in thinking that you know the depth of my knowledge of wrestling, or indeed in claiming that I dislike Rude because he doesn't do "flippy things". Rude was based off his look, perhaps not in the same way as someone like Ultimate Warrior, but it was a prominent part of his appeal and overall character nonetheless. If Rude being the size he was was not actually an important factor, then why did that weigh so heavily in so many of the other arguments on this poll? Rude may have been a decorated college amateur wrestler, but little of this showed through in his standard work, as he tended to work more of a power game than a technical one.

And as for getting the Ultimate Warrior over, Rude's part in this was mostly based around losing to Ultimate Warrior in most of their encounters, and to my recollection never winning a match clean. Rude was used as a stepping stone on more than this occasion, he was an enhancement feud used to build up a wrestler, like a Matt Hardy or R-Truth of today. He was used to make people look good when they went over him, and that's exactly what he would do for Jericho, when Jericho beat him.

You just contradicted yourself.

Earlier, you just said Jericho had done more in the business. Now, you say they both pretty much were the same status in wrestling. You need to pick whether it's one or the other.

No, you see I do not consider Jericho as a jobber to the stars, I am saying that Rude is someone who the label sometimes given to Jericho would be better suited to. Jericho has achieved far more than Rude in his career, and has reached a point far beyond what Rude ever achieved in the business.

Actually, Rude was always a really intelligent wrestler himself. I'd say they are equal in intelligence, and this whole "experience in special stipulation matches" means diddley squat, considering that Jericho has little experience in this match. For that matter, I don't think he's even been in a strap match before in his career. So that whole "experience" is really a myth, frankly.

I'm not trying to belittle Rude's intelligence, but I do not believe that he is on the same level as Jericho when it comes to intelligence. Jericho has a great mind for the business, and this comes through to some extent in his character, as he always appears as someone who scouts their opponents and stipulations more than the average wrestler. And the experience factor would in fact way in. Jericho has competed in many more different match types over his career than Rude, and therefore he is accustomed to changing his game plan and strategy before going into a match. Rude was at his peak in a period when gimmick matches were much less common than today, and I think that the match result would reflect this.

And as for the argument about Jericho not being able to hit his finisher, this does not convince me in the least. Jericho could easily hit the Codebreaker with eight feet of chain at his disposal, that is more than he needs. He could also use the Lion Tamer or Walls of Jericho to wear Rude down. That is not to forget the other finishers that he has utilised from time to time, such as the Breakdown, the double Powerbomb, and the Flashback. Any of these should be sufficient to put Rude down, and Jericho would no doubt be able to use the chain to his advantage more than Rude, due to the experience and better intelligence and planning that I stated earlier. I do not mean to sell Rude short in this match, but I think that Jericho would ultimately take the win.

I voted Jericho.

I just feel that a dog collar match favors the opponent that is the most aggressive and ruthless.

Sure, Rick Rude was a strong heel. But his gameplan was more mental than physical. He wasn't a HUGE wrestler, never used brutal moves, and was technically sound.

Jericho, on the other hand, has showed his aggressiveness multiple time throughout his career and has shown us that he'd stoop to any level to get the win.

Jericho wins, and it's not even close.

Hmm.. I'm torn, but after reading through the arguments and going through my own reasons, I think I'll have to go with Jericho.
Now I'm not a Jericho mark or a Rude one for that matter, but i think Jericho's resourcefulness takes it here for me I've watched a ton of stipulation matches involving Jericho, from the brutal matches like last man standings and hell in the cells, to ladder matches etc.. Now he doesn't necessarily win them all but I'm going to have to go with his experience in matches like this on top of his vast array of offence, Jericho just takes this one for me.

I think that I'm going to have to vote for Chris Jericho on this one.

I don't think either of these guys could really be classified as hardcore specialists, but Jericho does have a knack for winning gimmick matches in which one would think he'd be pretty overmatched. He has experience in this type of setting while the only gimmick matches I can recall Rude taking part in were cage matches. Rude is bigger and stronger than Jericho, but I don't think Rude was ever really a "powerhouse". He never really relied on brute strength in his matches so I really don't think strength would be that big of a factor.

I think Jericho is someone that tends to get underestimated at times, maybe partially due to his size at times. He doesn't look like an aggressive, ruthless guy that would do what he had to in order to win, but that's pretty much what he is. He's intelligent, technically sound, resourceful and, as much as I've been a fan of Rude ever since I was a kid, Jericho has gone over wrestlers better than Rude.

I think I'm gonna have to go with Chris Jericho on this one, why you ask? because while Rick Rude may be the bigger man, the stronger guy, Chris Jericho has proved to be quite brutal with material that could very well choke his opponent, I believe he took JBL, a fairly decent big guy, and strong as well, and choked him with a microphone wire, while this is a dog collar I know that, it could still serve as a choking subject for Chris Jericho to gain the upper hand for, ultimately choking Rick Rude out and winning.

Chris Jericho wins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back