TNA Files Lawsuit Against WWE

Zeven_Zion

King Of The Ring
TNA filed a lawsuit yesterday in court in Nashville against WWE and former TNA and WWE office worker Brian Wittenstein for interference with existing contracts, conversion, breach of contract, civil conspiracy, unfair competition, and violation of the Tennessee Uniform Trade Secrets Act. They are also suing Wittenstein for breach of duty of loyalty.

TNA's lawsuit alleges that that Wittenstein, who worked for the company for three years before departing in 2011 (TNA sources at the time stated he was let go; Wittenstein told PWInsider several months later he had given notice), provided WWE with inside information on TNA contracts and other matters from his time working in TNA's live events department.

Wittenstein was hired by WWE earlier this year and worked briefly under Michael Hayes as his assistant before being let go. According to the suit, WWE fired Wittenstein after he presented them with insider TNA information. However, TNA claims that WWE did not approach them with that information until 5/7, several weeks after they let Wittenstein go.

TNA's lawsuit claimed that WWE is now trying to poach contracted talent from TNA, using inside information from TNA contracts to their advantage. Several days later after being contacted by WWE about the Wittenstein issue, Ric Flair (who, as we've reported here, TNA has been having issues with) approached TNA trying to get out of his contract. TNA is alleging that Flair was trying to get out of his contract in order to go to WWE and that since telling TNA he wanted out of his deal, has not appeared at live events, including the Sacrifice PPV.

In the last week, there have also been rumors that Alex Shelley had turned down a new TNA contract and was looking to go to WWE as well. While those stories have been making the rounds, PWInsider.com has not been able to independently confirm them. Shelley was not specifically mentioned in the lawsuit filing.

An injunction was issued earlier today demanding that WWE and Wittenstein each return whatever confidential material Wittenstein retained from his time working for TNA. They were specifically instructed not to "destroy" any of the material.

According to PWInsider, a hearing regarding the case is already slated for next month.

[Source: http://pwinsider.com/article/68733/...rom-insider-information-given-to-wwe.html?p=1 ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------

So much for "Vince doesn't care about TNA", right?

Either way, we love controversy and drama so rejoice, WWE and TNA fans! We got a lot to talk about!

Very interesting, although I'm interesting in hearing WWE's defense on this.

It has been rumoured that this has been a long standing business 'practice' of McMahon's though... although so much gets said about the guy it's hard to seperate fact and fiction with him.

Leaving Shelley out of it, since he wasn't mentioned specifically in the lawsuit, I do have to wonder though... why would WWE even need insider information to poach Flair? Other than of course, that insider being Flair himself?

Kudo's to TNA for standing up to the WWE, but something just seems off with this.

This is interesting because what I'm getting from this is that Wittenstein decided to go out of his way to provide wwe with information about tna contracts not the other way around because if it was the other way around than this Wittenstein guy wouldn't have been fired by wwe for providing this private information to wwe. Another thing is if wwe really wanted this top secret info then why the fuck would they contact tna to let them know they have it? Yeah I'm going to break into your house steal your most prized possessions and tell you I did it a few weeks later, yeah that's really logical. As far as the wwe pouching tna talent thing goes The Alex Shelley thing is ridiculous. Tna offered him a contract
which was refused by Shelley well let's see geez I wonder why? Well he can go to a bigger, better company, get more exposure, and get paid more or he can stay in a much smaller company, get paid less, not get the amount of exposure he can get with the other company, oh and not be used which he has been doing. As far as The Flair thing goes he's Ric Fucking Flair and Ric Fucking Flair will always be Ric Fucking Flair. Tna knew who they were getting when they signed Flair and let's be honest we all know the only wrestling promotion Ric Flair belongs in is wwe. I think this whole lawsuit is ridiculous and to be honest when I think of this lawsuit I think of Vince Mcmahon's theme song "No chance in hell" because that's what tna's got.

from what i understand is that shelley didn't resign with tna cause he was interested in the wwe crusierweight show that's gonna be on the wwe network so i can't see wwe being at fault for that

Another thing is if wwe really wanted this top secret info then why the fuck would they contact tna to let them know they have it? Yeah I'm going to break into your house steal your most prized possessions and tell you I did it a few weeks later, yeah that's really logical.
I totally agree with that if WWE thought that they either A) cared about the information or B) information that they wanted to know that was to important for TNA, well TNA would not filing this law suit because who ever contacted them would not have. Who has WWE poached from them anyway? Matt Morgan used to work for them so they are hardly poaching him, Shelley refused to sign a new contract what 1-2 weeks ago not really a close date anyway to this. Ric Flair he does what he wants when he wants TNA should be happy they got him in the first place, I actually wouldn't be surprised if he ripped on them when he goes back to the WWE.

This is interesting because what I'm getting from this is that Wittenstein decided to go out of his way to provide wwe with information about tna contracts not the other way around because if it was the other way around than this Wittenstein guy wouldn't have been fired by wwe for providing this private information to wwe. Another thing is if wwe really wanted this top secret info then why the fuck would they contact tna to let them know they have it? Yeah I'm going to break into your house steal your most prized possessions and tell you I did it a few weeks later, yeah that's really logical. As far as the wwe pouching tna talent thing goes The Alex Shelley thing is ridiculous. Tna offered him a contract
which was refused by Shelley well let's see geez I wonder why? Well he can go to a bigger, better company, get more exposure, and get paid more or he can stay in a much smaller company, get paid less, not get the amount of exposure he can get with the other company, oh and not be used which he has been doing. As far as The Flair thing goes he's Ric Fucking Flair and Ric Fucking Flair will always be Ric Fucking Flair. Tna knew who they were getting when they signed Flair and let's be honest we all know the only wrestling promotion Ric Flair belongs in is wwe. I think this whole lawsuit is ridiculous and to be honest when I think of this lawsuit I think of Vince Mcmahon's theme song "No chance in hell" because that's what tna's got.

That's not the issue. A lot of people misunderstand this. This is not TNA suing the WWE for having a "spy" among their ranks. The problem is that WWE held on to the information for three weeks. Three weeks is MORE than enough time for WWE to check this information out and take it all into account. It's like buying cocaine from a dealer and reporting him to the cops. Yeah you're a nice little citizen but you still got coked up as shit and you enjoyed it.

They washed their hands after firing the dude. Even if they didn't originally send him there as a rat (which I am sure could be the case as well), they still held on to this information and they should've disclosed it immediately. If you REALLY didn't want this information, why did you hold on to it?

TNA's argument in this case is absolutely correct. With the recent rumors about talent leaving for the 'E (Matt Morgan, Ric Flair) and others before that (Roode, Storm, Sting, Aries), theoretically TNA have every right to be suspicious. It does give the WWE an unfair advantage in the market, regardless of how dominant they were before.

As far as "why did they even give the information back" argument goes - you don't think WWE knew TNA would sniff this out? Why do you think they fired the dude as soon as it happened. They were fully aware that IF TNA found out about this and filed a suit while the guy was with the WWE, WWE's ass is eyebrows deep in the smelly stuff. By firing him "because" of it they make it seem like they were apalled by his unprofessional behavior which is alright, that's great. But you held on to the info for weeks. That's fishy.

But seeing that you're an absolute mark why am I even bothering to explain this. Hopefully someone with a brain will read it and THINK. When did McMahon grow a conscience? This is the same person who built his company upon the remains of other people's companies which he drove out of business by .... wait for it ... wait for it ... stealing their stars (among other things). Not a surprise, good catch by TNA.

from what i understand is that shelley didn't resign with tna cause he was interested in the wwe crusierweight show that's gonna be on the wwe network so i can't see wwe being at fault for that

That's not what the thread's about, sunshine.

i can understand wwe wants some of the good wrestlers, truth is there's really not much talent to pick from, and all the great one's they do have are getting to old to last much longer, hogan is only a diaper away from retirement.

People are missing the obvious...it has beee stated that WWE fired him when they learned of what he attempted doing.

but wasn't addressed, was blatantly obvious to me:

Maybe they should check their own company first. Bruce Pritchard is Head of TNA Talent Relations...He used to work in WWE Talent Relations under Jim Ross & John Laurinaitis. He also was one of Vince's top right hand men & biggest "Yes Men"

People are missing the obvious...it has beee stated that WWE fired him when they learned of what he attempted doing.

but wasn't addressed, was blatantly obvious to me:

Maybe they should check their own company first. Bruce Pritchard is Head of TNA Talent Relations...He used to work in WWE Talent Relations under Jim Ross & John Laurinaitis. He also was one of Vince's top right hand men & biggest "Yes Men"

No proof of Pritchard doing anything like that. Therefore all of this is is just a theory and fear mongering. Possible? Absolutely. A fact. Not by a long shot.

They washed their hands after firing the dude. Even if they didn't originally send him there as a rat (which I am sure could be the case as well), they still held on to this information and they should've disclosed it immediately. If you REALLY didn't want this information, why did you hold on to it?

Good theory. An even more likely one is this is a publicity stunt by TNA.

TNA's argument in this case is absolutely correct. With the recent rumors about talent leaving for the 'E (Matt Morgan, Ric Flair) and others before that (Roode, Storm, Sting, Aries), theoretically TNA have every right to be suspicious. It does give the WWE an unfair advantage in the market, regardless of how dominant they were before.

Being run by competent management is already advantageous enough.

The problem was they sat on it for 3 weeks and now people are leaving the company another suspect reasons. Just because Flair is the only person mentioned doesn't mean jack shit. They have the current contracts of every wrestler on a TNA contract.

So they know when Roode, Storm, Aries, Hardy, and everyone else has deals coming up. Then in turn they could talk to them before their contracts expire.

Vince did the same thing back in the 1980's, when he was plucking guys from the territories, many times breaking legal contracts his father had with some promoters. Vince sees TNA the same way he saw ECW, and the same way he sees ROH and everyon else...as feeding grounds for his company.

As far Vince is concerned, every fed is a WWE developmental fed.

TNA has every right to be pissed off! WWE had this information in their hands and withheld it form TNA for 3 freaking weeks and than contacted TNA. WWE Should of contacted TNA immediately after receiving this information.

WTF WWE? You will loose this lawsuit!

The problem was they sat on it for 3 weeks and now people are leaving the company another suspect reasons. Just because Flair is the only person mentioned doesn't mean jack shit. They have the current contracts of every wrestler on a TNA contract.

So they know when Roode, Storm, Aries, Hardy, and everyone else has deals coming up. Then in turn they could talk to them before their contracts expire.

Not just that. They also have information on TNA's business affairs such as marketing, business strategy and analysis. This guy was cutting deep. It even seems like he knew exactly what he was doing.

I could very well be wrong but it could be that WWE screwed him over. Plant the mole, have him get vital information, he requests his release in 2011 and gets hired almost immediately. They get the info, he thinks he's set, they fire his ass. He can't do or say jack shit because he'll have to expose himself. On the other hand WWE looks great by not only firing him for such a low deed but also disclosing the information (after studying it carefully, of course, it's why they held on to it). WWE looks good, except for the whole holding on to it for three weeks deal.

Hell, they're already acting like the victims. "No good deed goes unpunished". Give me a fucking break. Vince has been doing this shit for years.

Good theory. An even more likely one is this is a publicity stunt by TNA.

You must be joking.

Uh-oh, WWE is in twouble...

No, but seriously, if this is true, WWE should be ashamed. Although I am VERY interested in hearing their defense.

But I'm wondering...why? What could they possibly do with TNA's talent other than completely ruin their careers?

Not just that. They also have information on TNA's business affairs such as marketing, business strategy and analysis. This guy was cutting deep. It even seems like he knew exactly what he was doing.

I could very well be wrong but it could be that WWE screwed him over. Plant the mole, have him get vital information, he requests his release in 2011 and gets hired almost immediately. They get the info, he thinks he's set, they fire his ass. He can't do or say jack shit because he'll have to expose himself. On the other hand WWE looks great by not only firing him for such a low deed but also disclosing the information (after studying it carefully, of course, it's why they held on to it). WWE looks good, except for the whole holding on to it for three weeks deal.

Hell, they're already acting like the victims. "No good deed goes unpunished". Give me a fucking break. Vince has been doing this shit for years.

You must be joking.

If this was their plan as you say, it's a pretty dumb one.

Why wouldn't they have just made copies of the information, 'fired' the guy, gone to TNA with their 'story' along with the original documents, and then studied away to their hearts content afterwards?

Or if there's a concern TNA might change any plans, studied everything first, 'fired' the guy, then gone to TNA?

I put fired in quotes because if this guy is a WWE mole as you say, then instead of being dicks and firing him (and opening themselves up to this), it's a hell of a lot easier to pay him under the table.

Also, why does WWE even care about looking good to TNA?

Is it entirely possible that they simply didn't contact them for 3 weeks because of an oversight? WWE is a big company. It wouldn't be the first time an assignment got missed due to an oversight.

It's all starting to make sense now. I expect talent to jump from company to company but something to me just seemed off in recents weeks in a short period of time reading about Ric Flair, Matt Morgan & Alex Shelley possibly going to WWE & then reading the likes of Austin Aries & Gunner being signed to new deals.

I think this is bogus, since TNA can't beat, or even compete with the WWE in the ratings, or talent, is one of those stunts that TNA is trying to pull, because they want to beat the WWE one way or the other, ok, TNA has some great superstars, but i don't think that the WWE needs to resort to having some sort of spy to get talent from TNA, that's ridiculous, if anything, i think is the other way around, that would be more likely, because if the WWE wanted talent from TNA, all they have to do is ask, and thrust me, if they do, TNA superstars won't say no.......

With a company as huge as the WWE, people are going to drop the ball on occasion. This won't dent the WWE and no one will care or think any less of the company. It happens. TNA will win and move on. The WWE will lose and move on. In a month afterward, no one will remember.

I think this is bogus, since TNA can't beat, or even compete with the WWE in the ratings, or talent, is one of those stunts that TNA is trying to pull, because they want to beat the WWE one way or the other, ok, TNA has some great superstars, but i don't think that the WWE needs to resort to having some sort of spy to get talent from TNA, that's ridiculous, if anything, i think is the other way around, that would be more likely, because if the WWE wanted talent from TNA, all they have to do is ask, and thrust me, if they do, TNA superstars won't say no.......

Well.. Sting has declined offers before. So your point about TNA wrestlers saying no has lost its validity. And second.. Bogus? Lawsuits aren't free. I don't think TNA would go this route if there wasn't anything to their claims.

I think the wwe had used the info i know tna is the smaller company but they do have some good talent which means wwe do look at tna hear or there i would have used it if given to me. They kinda bootycalled him but he shouldnt of gave up info so quickly tna is right for filing lawsuit we all know wwe would have

So TNA has finally gotten the balls to stand up to the big bad WWE. Great for them. There is however a problem, they stated Ric Flair first off. Flair is Flair he didn't leave because WWE offered him a deal, he left because TNA pissed him off. Alex Shelly left because WWE offered him a deal when his contract was up. Hello? If you currently work for a small company and your contract is almost up, you're not gonna turn down an offer from the much bigger company. It'll garner him a lot more exposure, and a lot more money so he can't, and won't complain. TNA is now butthurt because they not only just lost one half of one of their best tagteams, AND they lost one of the most legendary wrestlers of ALL time because they pissed him off. Who do they try to blame it on? The big bad WWE. Now, if TNA can provide FACTS and documentation PROVING that this actually took place, then I'll believe it. WWE will probably have the best lawyers money can buy and TNA will lose badly, and then the two will go their separate ways. Wittenstein probably got fired because he did a shitty job. It happens hell he might be partially responsible for coming up with that horrible NWO I mean Immortal storyline. WWE probably realized this right before they kicked him to the curb. I also ask that you provide the link to this story because while I am severely skeptical about the 'truth' of this story, I am still interested in the details in the original story. If I get proved wrong then I'm man enough to admit it but as it is, I don't think there's any truth it.

What people need to do right now is get off of their TNA/WWE fanboy soap boxes for a second and realize this, this shit happens and it happens all the time. Vince did it to others and others did it to Vince. Eric Bischoff did it to Paul Heyman and Heyman sued him a bunch of times, this is nothing new and most likely this lawsuit is going to drag on for years and TNA has to prove intent in a court of law not on the dirt sheets.

Do you actually think this is going to stop WWE from doing what they do or TNA, if TNA starts worrying more about this lawsuit than the product they put out then that says a whole lot about TNA then it does WWE. This is just fodder for the smarks and dirt sheets, oooooooooh aaaaaaaaaaah TNA is suing WWE for something every wrestling promotion does, WWE is scared of TNA or the talent TNA has must be top notch or why would WWE do this, lets get some page hits because dirt sheets compete with other dirt sheets.

This is a frivolous lawsuit that won't go anywhere. It's not like any of these contracts are a secret. If I, a casual fan know when contracts expire, then surely, the most dominant, and as far as most of the world is concerned, the only major wrestling company in the world will also know when the contracts of the wrestlers they are interested in are expiring. The WWE didn't have to tell TNA anything. They fired the clown, and who cares if they waited two weeks. It's not like they are competing in the same league. They are two companies, and the wrestlers are 'independent contractors.' This is probably some pathetic attempt by a minor league organization trying to get some mainstream publicity by appealing to the lascivious 24/7 demand for freak news.

Here's what I don't get.....What does WWE have to learn from all of this info? What is the secret of the booking, talent and marketing strategies of a company filled with your ex-employees?? TNA can't even get a TV rating over 1.3, they can't tour house shows non stop like WWE, they can't even have their flagship show live and from a different city every week. Yes, they have talent and names that could help WWE and hurt TNA that is obvious, but I feel like UFC is more of a threat to WWE as far as stealing their audience and affecting their ratings/PPV Buys.

Half of the major names are old WWE Talent. They left or were let go for a reason. I just don't envision people in Stamford saying "You know, I think for the WWE to continue to be the Sports Entertainment powerhouse we need to know when the contracts are up on guys like Crimson, Hardy, Daniels, and Joe. Their marketing and business strategies aren't much different than WWE. What great marketing have they gained?? Social Media usage??? Signing a MMA Fighter?? A Pre PPV Show?? Having established music artists perform a wrestler's entrance music??? Those are all ideas that are old and used by WWE first anyway. Something doesn't add up here.

It sounds like TNA is grasping at straws. I get the info was returned after a time frame that is weeks later, but you are telling me that if anyone here got the answers to a test they were going to take or that they got a playbook from an oppossing team that you wouldn't flip through it to get an idea of what is in it? It's no different than finding someone's wallet on the ground, you look inside for an I.D. to see who it belongs to. You check to see if there is any money in it and then you call or contact them to let them know you found it so it can be returned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back