Tri-Top: Tom Cruise

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
The man from the moon. Or something like that, he has made some incredible blockbusters, you can all name your three favorites. He made some of the most watched movies from the 1980s, some of the biggest blockbusters of the 90s, as well as continuing to make movies this millennium. Everyone has an opinion of his movies and his character now, but let us just focus on his movies. What are your three favourites?

Mission: Impossible- An excellent movie that spawned two huge sequels, M:I was one of the biggest movies of the decades. A smart movie, with more twists then a European back-road. This movie made Cruise shine as a legit blockbuster actor.

Days of Thunder- Love at 200 miles per hour. The movie where him and Nicole Kidman fell in love. The movie that made Stock Car Racing cool again, and the movie where a man named Cole Trickle... was made into a hero. A great movie that actually gave us an insight into the way Stock Car Racing was (no longer resembling the sport that is done now in all relative terms). A great film that I have watched multiple times because of its good story.

Collateral- A pretty simple storyline, that similar to movies such as Training Day, give you a storyline that takes place over one day. An exciting movie from the back seat of a cab that gives us a chance to not only see a gray haired Tom Cruise (even better looking then a gray haired Eric Bischoff) but to see an impressive acting styles of Jamie Foxx.

Having not seen many of his movies, a bit tough, but 2 stand out.

1. Collateral - Awesome movie. When I went to see it, I walked out of the theatre with my big group of friends and ALL of us were pumped up and didn't want to go home that night lol. Great dialogue, nice acting, very cool story, and the nightclub scene set to "Ready, Steady, Go" was fun. Bought the movie the first chance I got.

2. Minority Report - I didn't like this one that much the first time I saw it, but as I progress as a writer, I value it more. I'd like to tweak a few things about it, but nonetheless, its a very entertaining story that has some neatly arranged wires in it.

3. Mission: Impossible II - Now, I don't really think that this is a great movie, but I needed a third one lol. Frankly, my favorite aspect of this film is the soundtrack, which is FANTASTIC. Hans Zimmer is my favorite composer, and Nyah's theme as well as the "Injection" motif are just wonderful. That alone makes it the movie I'd nominate for the third lol especially since I haven't seen many of the others and I had no fucking idea what Eyes Wide Shut was about after I saw it haha.

Although this guy is a total nutcase these days, I'm still a fan of his movies. He's usually good in anything, even if the movie itself is subpar.

My favorite from him, is Eyes Wide Shut. And no, not for the reasons you may be thinking. It really was a great movie, and his performance was the most important piece. The chemistry with Kidman was obviously there, but it all could've gone very wrong.

The second movie would be Days Of Thunder. I absolutely love this movie. The acting was average, but the story was great, and the movie made sure to pick up the pace when it was needed.

Lastly, I'll pick A Few Good Men. This movie is one of the best of all-time, without a doubt. It's got a stellar cast, and some of the best acting I've seen in a long time. The story isn't anything special, but the actors and script make it so much bigger than it could've been.

Oh, how I will always have a man crush on this guy, lol. What a terrific actor he truly is.

3. Collateral – Cruise’s first time playing villain, and what a great fucking job he did. I loved everything about this movie, but it was Cruise’s unbelievable performance that made it what it was. It’s a shame he didn’t get nominated for an Oscar for this.

2. A Few Good Men – A true American classic. Everybody’s seen it, and pretty much everybody loves it. The story and acting in this movie doesn’t get much better in the awesome world of cinema. People always remember Nicholson’s famous “You can’t handle the truth!” line, but without Cruise setting it up as perfectly as he did, then that line doesn’t have near the same impact as it did. Great movie, and great performance by Tom Cruise.

1. Vanilla Sky – Ah, this was one magical picture. I know some hate it, but I think it’s beyond wonderful. I love, love, LOVE the story. And the chemistry between Cruise, Penelope Cruz, and Cameron Diaz is unbelievable. Without those three at the helm and Crowe’s awesome direction and musical selection, I’m certain the movie doesn’t end up being half as good as it was. But it ended up being a spectacular pleasure for me, and I continue to enjoy this film every time I watch it.

Honorable mentions (in order outside of the top 3 above):
The Last Samurai
Minority Report
Jerry Maguire
Born on the Fourth of July
Rain Man
The Color of Money
Tropic Thunder
Eyes Wide Shut
Top Gun
The Firm
Interview with the Vampire

I actually haven't seen all of his movies so there maybe some good ones that I'm leaving out but out of the ones I seen these are my 3 favorites.

1. Collateral- Him and Foxx were brilliant in this. I loved how cold and calculated Cruise was in this movie, it was just a role I wasn't used to him playing and he pulled it off perfectly. Great movie

2. The Color of Money-This was the sequel to "The Hustler" made some 25 years earlier. In this movie Cruise plays a hot shot and cocky pool shark. Paul Newman kinda stole the show in this movie though winning an Oscar for replaying his role as Fast Eddie but I thought Cruise was great in this as well.

3. Days os Thunder-Just a fun and enjoyable movie. Yeah it may not have been your typical Oscar worthy movie or anything like that but it was just a fun movie especially if you're into racing and it did actually create some character depth as well. I loved the music in it too particularly the theme by Hans Zimmer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back