Video Game Music

[youtube]uf47DQj_2Gg[/youtube]

I've only played the game like once or twice, but the theme from Doom was fuckin badass. Really pumped me up and made it more enjoyable for me to kill the enemies while listening to it.

[youtube]BguLX2RSXjI[/youtube]

I was considering posting this in the "What song are you currently listening to?" thread but I thought it would be better if I posted it here since Fifa 2000 was the first time I ever heard this song. I absolutely love this track, one of my favourite game themes of all time. Sometimes I would stay on the intro instead of going straight to a match just to listen to this song. It's so groovy and makes you wanna get down.

[YOUTUBE]n4AUY-v1nsE[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]9WqwFhX6Cqg[/YOUTUBE]

Another pair of classic tracks from the old school era of real-time strategy games. Man, what happened to Command & Conquer ? It was such a great series, but alas, at least Red Alert 3 wasn't that bad. Anyways who doesn't remember blasting these songs through their PC speakers in the late 90s and early 00s ? How about those cheesy full motion videos. Yeah, good times. Although I did prefer Starcraft and Total Annihilation, the early Command & Conquer games were the first RTS games that I played, and I still enjoy them immensely today. One of the reasons, songs like these. "Act on Instinct" that track had you pumped from the get go, and damn, those Soviet "Hell Marches" were badass.

Final Fantasy 7 - Anxious Heart

[YOUTUBE]v4JL_Nx6Kdg[/YOUTUBE]

This is the theme that plays in the town of Nibelheim in Final Fantasy 7. I absolutely love this song. It's so beautifully written. If ever there were a theme song for anytime I look back on a montage of old memories in my life, this is it. I like to listen to it with my eyes shut, laying down, relaxing, and remembering good times from the past. It's a bittersweet song, much like the feelings regarding memories it helps bring back up. A mixture of happy thoughts and sad thoughts, while hearing a song that's so nostalgic in its tone. It fits the town it's used in perfectly, as it is Cloud's hometown, and I'll never get tired of it.

Dragon Quest 8 - Battle Theme

[YOUTUBE]Bl_PRg9iaZ4[/YOUTUBE]

This is a fun song that captures the mayhem of the series' battles in symphonic form. It fits the fights very well and you can't help but hum along while enjoying seeing all of the actions unfolding during the battles. What I like best about it is how it manages to sound so serious (due to its symphonic nature) yet so silly at the same time. Much like the game itself, it's serious when it needs to be while remaining mostly silly.

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Mountain Range of Whirlwinds

[YOUTUBE]lRCHApsH0xo[/YOUTUBE]

For many years as a kid I had a tradition of playing Final Fantasy Mystic Quest for a bit on the morning of the day that Christmas Eve fell on. The origin was actually quite random. I was bored one year, 1995 I think, I was still in elementary school at the time. I had woken up early and could not fall back asleep for some reason. I looked through my SNES titles and decided to play FFMQ out of boredom for the first time in a long time, and I was on Pazuzu's Tower, which is the most notable of the three levels this track plays in. The other two being the Rope Bridge and Mount Gale. So anyway I loaded a save file that was on one of the first floors of this tower, finished the floor and then saved and went back to sleep. I ended up not playing the game again until the following year when I again woke up bored and unable to go back to bed. I remembered what happened the previous year, so I loaded the same save file and finished the next floor before trying to go back to sleep again. So, an odd tradition of completing a floor of Pazuzu's Tower each Christmas Eve morning was born. That tradition lasted until I was 18 or so. I might play it this year for a few min for old time's sake.

Anyway so onto the track itself. It's a highly catchy track that also captures the dark nature of the locations: a creepy bridge, a dangerous mountain, and an evil tower controlling the wind. It's one of my favorite tracks in the game and it makes Pazuzu's Tower in particular a little less frustrating since you get to listen to this track in between the monster encounters. The puzzle with the elevator that Pazuzu uses is a big source of said frustrations. A good track can often make a tough/annoying part of a game more enjoyable. That is the case here.

I'm not sure if it's been posted yet (23 pages is quite a bit to shift through) but one of my favorite all time themes is the "Prelude" of Final Fantasy, any of them. VI is mostly my favorite but I love every one of them for their simplicity and shooting tune to what is going to be a majestic adventure.

[YOUTUBE]NE6ju1SEq9w‎[/YOUTUBE]

Hey, look! It's this thread!

With us being right in the middle of summer, I thought I'd discuss a track from my favorite summer game, Paladin's Quest on the SNES. Every single summer from 1994 up until about 2010, I without fail would replay this game. Part of the tradition was that I would save the event where you go through the Tower of Gabnid in the past, for the 4th of July each year. It would often take the whole first month of summer vacation to get through the majority of the game while also having levelled up my party to a decent level, so it just worked out to where every 4th of July I always ended up around that portion of the game and it turned into an annual tradition to do that event on that day or weekend. With today having been that day, it reminded me of all my old play through's of this game each summer for many years.

Paladin's Quest - Overworld Battle Theme

[YOUTUBE]tmzNg72UxBc[/YOUTUBE]

The track we'll actually be discussing is the main battle theme. This plays during battles on the world map or any outdoor monster lair. A second battle theme played in temples/ruins/caves while a third was used for bosses. This one is the catchiest of the three and the one you hear the most. When I hear it the music takes me back to my summers of building up my character levels or mastering the various spirits to power up my magic. Such an under-rated game, and a fun primary battle theme. I need to play it again, but just didn't have the time to do a nostalgic run through it this summer. I might do a walkthrough topic on it if time permits later this year.

I would have to say the best soundtracks I have ever heard in a computer game are the first 4 games in the Tony Hawk's skateboarding franchise. I discovered so many songs that I love to this day from the early Hawk games, and I was introduced to many bands who I hadn't heard of before.

This is just a list of a few of the songs I remember (and still listen to) from the Hawk games:

Goldfinger- Superman
AFI- The Boy Who Destroyed The World
Motorhead- Ace Of Spades
Rage Against The Machine- Guerilla Radio
Bad Religion- You
Anthrax (Feat. Public Enemy)- Bring The Noize
Swingin' Utters-Five Lessons Learned
Xzibit- Paparazzi
Papa Roach- Blood Brothers
Alien Ant Farm- Wish
Suicidal Tendencies- Cyco Vision
P.O.D- Boom
N.W.A- Express Yourself
Red Hot Chili Peppers- Fight Like A Brave
The Ramones- Blitzkrieg Bop

There are definitely many more that I'm forgetting, but those are the one's that spring to mind. Obviously, I knew of bands like The Chili Peppers, Rage Against The Machine, P.O.D etc, but many of the smaller, lesser known bands I was first exposed to thanks to these games.

Superman by Goldfinger for Tony Hawk Pro Skater is without question the greatest song from a video game in history. Don't believe me, you gotta check this video out. ITS EPIC!!!!!!!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajiu00WggCA&list=UU7iSW9Lw1jq4pyMImYyDg7g

YES. An absolutely brilliant song. I remember when I first had the game, and I would insist on that song being played whenever I skated. Even now, 15 years later or so, I still LOVE it. It's just such a fun, catchy song that never fails to bring a smile to my face :)

I've listened to a few other Goldfinger songs since then "Spokesman", "Open Your Eyes" and a couple of others, and while I enjoyed them, they didn't compare to "Superman"....so so good!

Time to revive this thread.

"Snowman" from "Earthbound" (Smash Bros Version)

[YOUTUBE]Vrb2GMA_vGc[/YOUTUBE]

With it being so cold at the moment, listening to one of my favorite themes from a frozen town in a great game helps the situation be more enjoyable. This is the Smash Bros remix of the Snowman theme that was originally used in the town in Mother (Earthbound Zero) which was the namesake of the song. It is perhaps best known for its use in Earthbound on the SNES as the theme at the Snow Wood Boarding School event that first introduces Jeff. The Smash Bros remix is a well done one that fit great in the New Pork City stage in Smash Bros Brawl, especially the intro. A really good song to listen to, regardless of which version, when it's cold outside.

Super Mario 3D World - World 3 Theme

[YOUTUBE]1W-E4o2ClHo[/YOUTUBE]

I've been playing Super Mario 3D World and this is a track that really stuck out to me. It's a beautiful track with an enigmatic feel to it, reminding me a lot of the style of music seen in a lot of the Mario Galaxy games' tracks. So nice to listen to. Nothing better than to relax to a great track like this one. I could keep it on repeat for a significantly long time and not get tired of it.

Final Fantasy Legend - Boss Battle

[YOUTUBE]_Q-d2E8nH3o[/YOUTUBE]

Alright, going oldschool again! This time we look at the boss theme from the first Final Fantasy Legend game. This was an incredibly difficult game but one of the highlights was each time this song played. It may sound a bit dated compared to tracks of today, but back in the day.... this was epic. When a boss battle begins, and instead of the normal battle theme THIS song played? You KNEW you had encountered something EVIL who would challenge you like no other creature you had encountered in the world that particular boss controlled. Then to make matters worse, you had to fight them AGAIN during the final event and they were MUCH harder in the rematches!

Oh, the memories.

Final Fantasy Legend 2 - Boss Theme

[YOUTUBE]MFo3tcTIWd0[/YOUTUBE]

I couldn't do Final Fantasy Legend's boss theme without following it up with the boss music from its sequel! I love this song, it's my favorite track in the Final Fantasy Legend series. Much like its prequel, this game was really tough. Especially the bosses. I looked forward to every single boss battle though, they were epic and the theme fit its battles perfectly. You can feel your heroes' struggle to overcome as it plays. When listening to it now two decades later I recall the challenging battles against bosses like Apollo, Venus, Magnate, Ashura, and last but not least ODIN who was notorious for making people give up on this game forever. The few who were able to make it past Odin into the final world where Apollo was waiting, they all know what overcoming a challenge in a game is truly like. This song has aged a little better than the one from its prequel yet I admit it is outdated compared to today's boss battles. 24 years ago though, this was as good as it got for a handheld game boss battle. It was never topped during the Game Boy era.

So I'm currently replaying Earthbound Beginnings, and due to a lot of the music from that game having been used in the much more well known sequel I have been feeling nostalgic to some of the music from the SNES title lately. One of which is the song I'll share in this post.

Earthbound - Battle Against A Machine

[YOUTUBE]ZnVigkiiWzU[/YOUTUBE]

This is one of the best battle themes in the series and it plays during the battles against the series most famous enemies in this game, the Starmen. Disregarding Starman Junior who has the Otherworldly Foe theme in his fight. It's a great fit for fights against all of the aliens and robots that you face each time it plays. Catchy, intimidating, and very fun to listen to. Tons of memories of battles against various Starmen and robots come back when it plays. Ghost of Starman and Final Starman in particular, nothing in that game was more frightening to me than one of these two enemy types casting PSI Starstorm Omega on you.

Whoa boy, we sure like console games here at Wrestlezone!

I've only seen a few DOS games in this thread. Do you remember DOS?

There's an old DOS game called "Apocalypse Abyss" that possessed one of the most amazing soundtracks I've ever heard for a video game. Every background track within this relatively unknown game is the standard of amazing.

Then there was another obscure DOS adventure called "Mystic Towers" featuring Baron Baldric. Baron Baldric is an old man who farts a lot and occasionally uses magic to vanquish evil. For some odd reason the developers produced a theme for the intro that makes it sound like a gratuitous anime shoot-em-up game. Have a listen:

Last edited:
So with having gone back through FF6 for my walkthrough topic, thought I'd share a bit of trivia that most of you might not know about. It deals with the song that plays in Jidoor in the World Of Ruin, shown below in the form most are familiar with.

Final Fantasy 6 - The Magic House

[YOUTUBE]GHKbiuzPvY8[/YOUTUBE]

Great song, right? It fits well for a town full of rich people from the NPC's talking about the Opera House, to the Auction building, to the rich guy Owzer's mansion with all its paintings, and the quest that takes place in the basement of Owzer's house. I wish it played in Jidoor in the World of Balance as well. Ok. So here's the trivia. This song.... was NOT originally planned for Final Fantasy 6! Click the spoiler tag below for the REAL origin of this song! You won't believe it until you listen to the real track for yourself.

Final Fantasy 2 - Unreleased Dungeon Track 3

[YOUTUBE]po0iQkspISw[/YOUTUBE]

Crazy, huh? It never made the cut but it would have originally been in the game many (including myself) rank as the worst title in the series. It does not state where the track would have played.... My guess would be in the castle labyrinth monster lairs such as Kashuon, Phin, or The Arena since you already have the typical "cave" theme and the "Imperial Base" type of monster lairs' themes. If it would have been in a town I'd suggest Mysidia but since it was developed as a Dungeon Track I have to go with the castle labyrinths as a theme that would have played there. That makes the most sense.

I only just recently found this out and it takes A LOT to surprise me when it comes to the older Final Fantasy titles at this point, but this genuinely shocked me when I found out.

Super Contra (or simply Super C) was a game on the Nintendo Entertainment System, whose music I really loved and enjoyed listening to. It matched perfectly with the fast-paced and non-stop action of the game and gave a strong adrenaline rush.
The game was developed in the late 80's, the early part of the later half of the Nintendo era. The music was composed by Hidenori Maezawa, the same person behind the original Contra's music as well. I don't know whether he came up with the tunes himself or imported the Arcade ones, but he did a remarkable job fitting 8 stage tunes, a game ending tune, as well as some other tunes in the very limited memory of the NES.
I particularly liked the track "Creature from outer space," which was the tune for the Babalu destructoid mechanism and the earthquake part of Stage 3. "Hotter than hell" from the top-down Stage 6 was also awesome, and "Thunder Landing" from Stage 1 was intense and immediately put you in the mood for some action.
Here is a link from which you can download the said tracks, as well as other old school video game music:

Super Star Wars (SNES): The Empire Strikes Back

Well, nothing is truly original in the SNES Super Star Wars games, because for the most part, everything is just rehashes from scores and tracks used in the movies. Still, the music used in the SNES Super Star Wars games is a perfect fit for the cut scenes and each stage. This track is one of my favorites. It plays on the options menu/title screen, when you start up the game, and sometimes I just sit back and watch the auto demo, if I want to listen to more.

[YOUTUBE]qUeN8HrvxKU[/YOUTUBE]

46739-super-star-wars-the-empire-strikes-back-snes-screenshot-menu.jpg

Here's another one of my favorites, but you'll only hear it in certain parts during the Cloud City stages.

[YOUTUBE]KkDbagrzD18[/YOUTUBE]

Out of all the SNES Star Wars games (luckily my SNES still works, so I can play them if I feel like it every now and then), The Empire Strikes Back is my pick for the best game, with Return Of The Jedi as a close second. I started playing all three games, when I was still kid, and the games are a good nostalgia kick for fans of the films.

For me, the final lightsaber duel between Vader and Luke gives The Empire Strikes Back the edge over the other SNES games. It's challenging (took me a while to get the hang of it as a kid), and they did a good job of mirroring the events in the movie step by step.

The lightsaber duel between Luke and Vader in Return Of The Jedi is fun, but it's way too easy (you can set the difficulty level to Jedi, but you won't notice a big difference). Although, to be fair, I guess you could say a lot of that has to do with Luke being a stronger character, and he has a wider variety of special attacks and power ups to choose from. With all that said, fighting The Emperor and escaping the exploding Death Star is still a pain the ass.

Sometimes an obscure game comes out for a system that can only afford the potential soundtrack a series of "bleeps" and "bloops" as musical notes. A guy named Jonathan Dunn had a knack for turning annoying sounds into amazing pieces of music, and he was tasked with making the theme for a game based on the Robocop franchise for the original Gameboy.

The soundtrack captured the drama of being a cop on the dirty streets of Detroit, in a tone that better represents what was considered robotic back in the early 90's. The wailing in the background seems to represent a street musician's saxophone, and occasionally a guitarist playing a solo.

Last edited:
Biggest video game songs that have never left my head.....

From the best soundtrack ever put together for a video game, every one of them are catchy and gel with the character/scene...genius really....this one always pops back in my brain....

[YOUTUBE]nCjrnz-BxfA&index[/YOUTUBE]

This next one is pretty obvious choice for just about everyone who played it...

[YOUTUBE]NTa6Xbzfq1U[/YOUTUBE]

A piano theme that's way too catchy to not remember always.....

[YOUTUBE]ORWGZrFHh-w&list[/YOUTUBE]

The Yoshi version is also good, although the drums kind of overshadows it.

This one is actually a very strange one to have stuck in my head...but for unknown reasons, i'll never forget it....

[YOUTUBE]kQM0QECxhjc&index=5&lis[/YOUTUBE]

This exact part of the 25th Anniversary Legend of Zelda Orchestra CD is epic and always thought would be an excellent FACE music for Cesaro.....

[YOUTUBE]6Qp-ypYp6rQ?t[/YOUTUBE]

SORRY: I couldn't cut it off where I wanted to ---it's at the 34:16 part...it's amazing.

And finally, an epic, epic tune for such an old system, listen closely and think...this is an 8 bit effing game...they managed to make this music in the game....it's pretty awesome...

[YOUTUBE]sLwT0vzQ9pk[/YOUTUBE]

There was once a game called Warriors Orochi 3, which was yet another shameless mash-up of Koei's intellectual property as a means of presenting a fun "what if?" scenario surrounding fictionalized dynasty of the Han in China and of Nobunaga Oda's conquering of Japan meeting up in a fun Flintstones meet the Jetsons scenario. There's also random guest stars like
Ryu Hayabusa and Sophitia.

Though an encounter like this would likely result in a series of awkward head-scratching, all the zany goofiness of this idea wares off when this music hits:

Which helped accentuate this scene:

That one scene was difficult as FUCK to find by the way, as there are about a billion videos of this game out there saturating the internet. You have to be DAMN specific about your search to find that one.

Last edited:
A few more obscure DOS titles for the road.

Escape from Delirium was one of those hidden gems that delivered more as a piece of art than it did as a gameplay experience. The story was blah, but the music and visuals were breathtaking. Few examples of the game's music are available online, but the game itself can be found on abandonware sites and played through the dosbox emulator. Here's the music that plays when you enter a house in a South American village:

Keeping with the theme of beautifully disturbing games, there was an obscure game released in the late 90's that paid strong tribute to the burgeoning neo-noir cyberpunk themes of that era. The game was called Dreamweb, and listening to its soundtrack is like being higher than Tommy Chong at Woodstock. Have a listen to one of its many examples:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back