Video Game Music

There was this old game called Skyroads, which was a pretty basic game where you play as a little hover craft that has to hop over obstructions or to other platforms while constantly moving forward along an obstacle course.

It had a pretty damn enthralling soundtrack, here's the games very catchy intro:

Now, one might want to imagine how that would sound played on an electric piano. Lucky for those of us who would want to imagine as much, a young man named Casey Thayer posted a video on YouTube of himself using an electric piano to play various tracks from Skyroads to include the intro. And here he is:

Last edited:
Out of all Donkey Kong Country SNES games, Diddy's Kong Quest is the one enjoyed playing the most. It's one those games that constantly annoyed me as a kid, because I couldn't get past King K. Rool. And when I finally did for the first time, I stumbled around in the secret level or the Lost World, until I was too frustrated after hitting too many brick walls, so I said to hell with it.

Still, 2 is definitely one of my favorite childhood games. Played it over and over again throughout the years, and the soundtrack is top notch stuff. Nothing feels disposable throughout the game, and each track really works as a perfect tie-in for the atmospherics, the setups, and the landscapes on different levels. Some of my favorites:

[YOUTUBE]y25IKVRKpYk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]336OIKnPA54[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]VJ2dt5v_BzA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]8ir0d7bjMIk[/YOUTUBE]

Reactions: Lee
Come with me now, on a spirit journey through the far reaches of time and space as we seek answers to life's most compelling mysteries. Also; Earthworm Jim wanted to tag along and I didn't see a reason why that would distract us.

It's weird when a deliberately off-beat video game pulls out a music track that seems more like it would be a Dead Can Dance interlude or an Enigma outro. That video game was Earthworm Jim 2, and those who played the level "Lorenzen's Soil" (an obvious pun on the movie Lorenzo's Oil) were treated with one of those video game music tracks that prompt you to pause the game and just... listen for a while.

Here you go:

So, I never played Earthworm Jim 2 on the PS1. YouTube likes to do auto-plays of videos that they think are similar to what you just experienced, and sometimes they actually get it right in that effort.

I was spacing out to my latest submission to this thread, when YouTube connected me to the version of that same song as it's played on the PS1 version of Earthworm Jim 2. Umm, they went all out in making that song capture my soul.

Definitely worth listening to even if you've already listened to the original, a rare moment when a masterpiece is responsibly improved upon:

Last edited:
SNES X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse was my first X-Men game. I was looking forward to fighting Apocalypse, but it was kind of disappointing. Apocalypse is an easy boss to defeat, but on the flip side of that, Magneto was a real pain in the ass.

I always had a lot of fun playing as Psylocke and Gambit, but I hated playing as Beast, because he bored me. It's easy to pick up on the similarities between a lot of themes, but Wolverine had one of the best next to the theme used on Magneto's space station, and the theme for the bosses is another one of my favorites:

[YOUTUBE]JDuN0oolB5A[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]drZbAOZIrE8[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]jkGlRm2Bk6g[/YOUTUBE]

Sometimes it's amazing what an obscure DOS game can produce in terms of music when they're limited to ancient midi technology.

In 1993, Strategic Simulations released another part of a huge library of games based on the popular table-top game Dungeons and Dragons called Dark Sun: Shattered Lands. The music played while experiencing this game's menu and character creation isn't mind blowing, but if you really listen you can hear the small details that make this one a great example for this thread.

It starts at 40 seconds in, have a listen:

[

Last edited:
There's something about Shadowgate that I can't accurately describe;

The main title theme is so damn intriguing, it captures the state of mind where you're traveling into an unknown world of danger where your only relief is eerie calm. This game legitimately gave me nightmares as a kid, but I could not stop playing until I made it to the end. The puzzles were pretty stupid in hindsight, but the sense of triumph was electric when I killed the behemoth.

Last edited:
There was this old point and click adventure game by LucasArts called Full Throttle, and they had a great soundtrack which mostly consisted of tracks written by the band called The Gone Jackals. One song really stood out though, it becomes one of those moments where you just stop playing and listen to the entire song. The Gone Jackals seemed to add a joke track of sorts called "Increased Chances - Chitlins, Whiskey and Skirt", but it's an amazing track in that it very casually mocks the idea of a redneck living in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

Been a while since I last posted in here.

Lagoon - Master of Water

[YOUTUBE]kOk4-IdeOEw[/YOUTUBE]

The theme for the game's namesake, Lagoon Castle. It was a massive castle at the very end of the game, followed only by the cave that led to the final boss. It was also bigger than the other two castles you visited during the game (Philips and Siegfried) combined. I recall much frustration trying to navigate the place as a kid but the catchy excellent music helped.... Almost as if the developers were saying "We're sorry that this level is such a pain, here's an awesome song for you to listen to for motivation!". Memories include getting that stupid statue item, getting the red caped sprite along with the final armor, preparing to fight the boss named Battler, and the Silence Terrace although this song does not play in that room.

There was an obscure game that I played as a kid called "Time Lord", that I remember mostly for its music. The levels were pretty basic side-scrollers with some depth as you could walk up and down terrain, the music made the levels pretty damn immersive. It's also worth noting that the game's soundtrack was composed by the very famous David Wise.

Last edited:
This afternoon, whilst playing Forza Horizon, the free to play game on Xbox this month, I realised that a certain song will always remind me of that game. In the same way as we attach memories to events in our lives, I firmly believe that we attach memories to songs as well. So with that in mind, I want to ask you about songs that will forever remind you of a video game. Over the last 10-15 years, I have felt that the need for a good soundtrack is definitely increasing and more and more productions are putting money into making sure that they tick that box. However, the song I want to talk about goes a long way back. In fact, it actually reminds me of Smackdown Versus Raw on the PlayStation 2 many, many years ago.

[YT]TYov5S_Uwic[/MEDIA]

Breaking Benjamin - Polyamorous

Smackdown Versus Raw was the first time that I actually felt as though a great soundtrack with borrowed songs was used. Of course, gaming history has given a lot of great tunes including Super Mario Bros. and Sonic The Hedgehog. But this was the first time that I felt that a gaming soundtrack was on point and delivered what I wanted it to. Like a lot of you, I am a rock fan and, growing up in the Attitude Era, I have an appreciation for songs like the one playing above. Mostly though, I felt as though the soundtrack outshone the game in some ways. I recall Powerman 5000 and Zebrahead being a part of the soundtrack too, two bands who did a lot of music for the WWE. So the music involved was not only a welcome addition but actually a reason to play the game.

I have a tonne of other songs that I'd like to talk about but I'm interesting in seeing what you guys feel first.

This afternoon, whilst playing Forza Horizon, the free to play game on Xbox this month, I realised that a certain song will always remind me of that game. In the same way as we attach memories to events in our lives, I firmly believe that we attach memories to songs as well. So with that in mind, I want to ask you about songs that will forever remind you of a video game. Over the last 10-15 years, I have felt that the need for a good soundtrack is definitely increasing and more and more productions are putting money into making sure that they tick that box. However, the song I want to talk about goes a long way back. In fact, it actually reminds me of Smackdown Versus Raw on the PlayStation 2 many, many years ago.

[YT]TYov5S_Uwic[/MEDIA]

Breaking Benjamin - Polyamorous

Smackdown Versus Raw was the first time that I actually felt as though a great soundtrack with borrowed songs was used. Of course, gaming history has given a lot of great tunes including Super Mario Bros. and Sonic The Hedgehog. But this was the first time that I felt that a gaming soundtrack was on point and delivered what I wanted it to. Like a lot of you, I am a rock fan and, growing up in the Attitude Era, I have an appreciation for songs like the one playing above. Mostly though, I felt as though the soundtrack outshone the game in some ways. I recall Powerman 5000 and Zebrahead being a part of the soundtrack too, two bands who did a lot of music for the WWE. So the music involved was not only a welcome addition but actually a reason to play the game.

I have a tonne of other songs that I'd like to talk about but I'm interesting in seeing what you guys feel first.

I have to go with Blood Brothers from Papa Roach. It's on the soundtrack for Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, and god I loved that game. I had the PS1 version (played it on my PS2), and it's definitely one of the games I was obsessed with as a kid. A lot of fun, busting through each challenge, looking for secrets, and rushing to beat the clock. THPS2 had a great soundtrack, but Blood Brothers was my number one go-to song (Guerilla Radio was a close #2).

[YOUTUBE]a0Pok72d_sU[/YOUTUBE]

TJ Perkins theme must have unlocked some part of my brain that I've kept hidden since 1990, because lately I've been binging on old NES games like my life depends on it.

His theme most reminded me of this classic:

Last edited:
Rarely do video games make me emotional, there's usually too much distracting me from what I'm supposed to be focused on or I'm usually too frustrated with the game to care about any of the characters.

Portal was a very trippy experience, and what really got me was when at the end you're serenaded in a somewhat cynical way by the main villain Glados. It's odd because the song is actually very sweet and it had me choked up on behalf of a defeated artificial intelligence.

Have a listen:

That song is an odd contrast to the music played during the credits of Portal 2, which wasn't so subtle and would more-so be interpreted as a beautifully sung middle finger.

Last edited:
So there's this game called "Hotline Miami" which was made in 2012, and it's obviously heavily inspired by the movie Drive. You play as a character who rarely speaks, wears a signature jacket (and mask) and utilizes extreme violence to protect a damsel in distress.

The main theme to this game is very intoxicating, I could listen to it all day. If you're ever out for a drive, play this song and it'll sound like reality commissioned mother nature for a theme song.

Last edited:
Lots of noise these days. There was a game called Max Payne 3 that had a song on its awesome soundtrack that really captured my state of mind when the world that betrayed itself demands my fucks but I have none to give.

Last edited:
I tried the board the game, but it was something I just couldn't get into as a kid. I loved the movie and the game for SNES. The mysteries were easy to solve, but it was still a lot of fun, with the shots Col. Mustard, Miss Scarlett, Mrs. White, and others standing around in the conservatory, the ballroom, or the kitchen, and you're wondering who did it. And once you solve the mystery, they end the game with a shot of the cops arresting the perpetrator. The themes and the individual themes (Col. Mustard's theme is the best) were a perfect fit for the tone of the game and the characters, and I always got a chuckle out of the dramatic spike in the music, when they show you the murder weapon. A lot of good choices, but I have to go with the main theme:

[YOUTUBE]TT7SNm-F1LU[/YOUTUBE]

Another nostalgic pick, and it's basically a rehash from the show's theme. I had all things Power Rangers, but I never bought this game or the one based on the movie (rented them from Blockbuster more times than I can remember). Now they're probably ridiculously overpriced collector's items on Amazon or Ebay:

[YOUTUBE]TAQVE2e3u8o[/YOUTUBE]

And for good measure the title screen/intro for the SNES game based on the 1995 film, with no words and a few tweaks:

[YOUTUBE]BM5y1NHC2Ic[/YOUTUBE]

Going back before a time when gamers like me witnessed our interpretation of the Final Fantasy series jumping the shark, there was a game called Final Fantasy VI.

I'm sure we've all had our own experiences playing FFVI, but I found it so wickedly captivating that I can honestly say that it helped change my view of the world around me. In that game there was the idea that people will resist, in spite of every reasoned outlook on the future showing that resistance won't succeed. Through the story, you have to cope with the idea that you were playing for the wrong team at one point.

The main character, Terra, is symbolic of the idea of having courage in spite of overwhelming odds against you, and her theme is a very appropriate presentation of her aura.

This theme has been covered many times, so many that finding the original version above as its played in the game was very difficult. I was able to find one hidden gem however, that I absolutely love mainly because it isn't meant to overpower your senses. I prefer nuance to aesthetic, and here is a video of a young man performing a very human version of this masterpiece.

Last edited:
Haven't posted in here in a while. We are just a few days away from the next Zelda title so what better time then to take a look at the theme from the final temple of Twilight Princess, which got remade for the Wii U a year ago.

Hyrule Castle - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

[YOUTUBE]fO1bRg6GTDk[/YOUTUBE]

The track has three different variations that play as you progress in the castle. The first plays in the main floors, eventually the second will begin playing, and then finally the third. Each one progressively sounds less like the classic Hyrule Castle theme and more like Ganon's theme. It's very fitting of the environment. From the beginning in that huge chamber with the annoying chandelier puzzle the eerie sounding first variation goes so well with the silence of the castle. Then the creepiness of the upper floors takes us into the second the second variation. You're getting closer to Ganon so the song taking onto a more intense tone works. The further up you get in the castle the more evil the song becomes. Then at the end when that third variation hits.... dang. At that point you KNOW the big showdown is coming. So well done. Other than Lorule Castle from A Link Between Worlds this is arguably the best final temple theme of any Zelda game.

Take Up The Cross - Tales Of Phantasia (Tales Of Zestiria version)

[YOUTUBE]tpptscwks3A[/YOUTUBE]

I've shared the original and PSX versions of this song before in here, but I recently stumbled upon an awesome upgrade it got for its appearance in Tales Of Zestiria when you equip the Mint Costume on Lailah. I have not played Tales Of Zestiria but this song may be enough to convince me to if I had the consoles it was on. I love "Take Up The Cross". It's one of the best random encounter themes ever made and this is a worthy upgrade to it. I might even go as far as to say that this is the best version of the song out of the many versions of it that are out there. As beautiful as the PSX version and as catchy as the original. This version fits excellently in the background of any video game battle scenario imaginable.

My favourite song from any game is "Saria's Song" from the Legend of Zelda. I always go into the Lost Woods when I'm playing Ocarina of Time just to hear it. For some reason I loved it when I first heard it and much to my delight it shows up on almost every Zelda game.

Sorry always have a problem posting a Youtube video here, so if you've never heard the song, perhaps someone can post a Youtube video of it here for me.

My favourite song from any game is "Saria's Song" from the Legend of Zelda. I always go into the Lost Woods when I'm playing Ocarina of Time just to hear it. For some reason I loved it when I first heard it and much to my delight it shows up on almost every Zelda game.

Sorry always have a problem posting a Youtube video here, so if you've never heard the song, perhaps someone can post a Youtube video of it here for me.

Zelda Ocarina of Time did an awesome job of introducing actual songs that were just right in terms of minimalism and having great hooks. Usually the two concepts defeat each other.

My favorite version of their songs are performed by YouTubers who are themselves fans of minimalism, and Saria's Song has thankfully been performed by an entrepreneur of Ocarina's named Juliet Cruz.

Last edited:
It's basically two themes together. They use the first seven seconds for the wanted posters for the next boss before each stage, and you know you're headed for the big final showdown after Sir Richard Rose's (Cheerio old chap!) poster for $100,000,000 pops up. Sunset Riders is a Western game, so the theme is a perfect fit.

[YOUTUBE]5GAo1Q1XVoY[/YOUTUBE]

A number of good themes in Streets Of Rage. I have to go with the intro music as my top pick, because the city is supposed to be this dreary hellhole full of criminals and thugs, and the intro theme really captures the mood and the feel of the story and the game.

[YOUTUBE]2cCS78YFMEc[/YOUTUBE]

Ability Test - Tales Of Eternia

[YOUTUBE]bGfGllb-wJo[/YOUTUBE]

A month ago I shared the epic new version of Tales Of Phantasia's battle theme, "Take Up The Cross", which was used in Tales Of Zestiria. Turns out that was not the only remake of the song in another Tales game. This version (in the spoiler tag) was the first remake. While the name is called "Ability Test" it clearly is Take Up The Cross but in awesome sounding PSX form. It plays during the fight with Cless (the hero in Tales Of Phanstasia) who makes an appearance in Tales Of Eternia. I never played that game back in the day but now I kind of wish I did. Even just to get to this fight. Gosh this song is amazing. It's almost as good as the Zestiria version. I love it. It's got that epic feel that its younger counterpart from Zestiria does and much like that one, would fit well with ANY battle from any RPG. Whether it be against weak goblins and slimes or against an evil boss.

There's an old game called Wild Arms, that wasn't a very remarkable game for me except that I've caught myself humming the tune to its intro lately (I can't whistle to save my life).

It's an uplifting tune that plays well to the wild west theme of the game.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back