• John Cena

• Seth Rollins

• Kevin Owens

• Bayley

• AJ Styles

• Jay Lethal

• Roman Reigns

Results are only viewable after voting.
There are a number of people worthy of a mention, The Boss being the most notable absentee from the poll, but there are two who stand out:

Roman Reigns

Early in the year, Roman Reigns' career walked into a car park late at night, was brutally attacked by WWE's writers and left for dead. Some people still claim the writers were just trying to help but what looked liked a supporting hand to some looked like a rear naked choke to me. Reign's career, despite being ambushed again at regular intervals throughout the year, has made an unexpected recovery, and there's only one explanation: Roman Reigns is a really, really good wrestler.

Expecting us to believe The Big Show or Kane might go to the main event WrestleMania; having Reigns take the beating of a lifetime and show up the next night with no ill effects; giving Ambrose and Rollins new everything and letting Roman keep all of The Shield's trappings - just some of the dumb ideas that Reigns has had to bear this year.

While creative fumbled at every opportunity, Reigns exceeded expectations. Roman Reigns having a great match with Daniel Bryan? Not a crazy thought. Brock Lesnar? Sure. With The Big Show? Inconceivable. Yet it happened. Reigns was fed poison and shat gold. Continually. Name a pay-per-view and I'll name a world class Roman Reigns performance.

Roman Reigns now has the title and crowd reaction he deserves.

Bayley

Anybody who's sat down to watch NXT in the last year will probably have come across a vignette detailing Bayley's evolution - from harmless superfan who's just happy to be there to genuine competitor who's just not good enough to, yes, the champion. In front of over fifteen thousand people, in the same arena in which SummerSlam was held in the next night, Bayley and Sasha Banks had what could be fairly described as an all-time great match.

As opposed to many wrestlers - from New Japan Pro Wrestling to World Wrestling Entertainment - it seems that Bayley and Sasha Banks understand that a great wrestling match is more than just a sequence of moves and more than just spectacle. Yes, there were great moves and there was immense spectacle in Bayley and The Boss' meetings but they came as the crescendo, not the everything. The matches had steak and sizzle; there was a structure; there was a story; there was a purpose to everything they did. When The Boss dominated in the early going and stood over Bayley, telling her she didn't belong, that meant something. When Bayley responded with a straight kick to the mouth, and the crowd cheered her defiance, that meant something. The match that followed was dramatic, emotional, ingenious and wholly unique.

People were rightfully aggrieved that such a match played second fiddle to an underwhelming ladder match between Finn Balor and Kevin Owens. Bayley and Sasha Banks were rewarded with the main event of the next NXT special (i.e. not the penultimate match, which, note to Stephanie McMahon, you have no business calling the main event).

Unlike some seasoned veterans who should know better, it's clear that Bayley and Sasha Banks understand how to make a sequel. Hint: you don't do the same match again and just alter the ending slightly. Bayley and Banks' rematch, a thirty minute iron man match, was another masterpiece. What it wasn't was the same match again. It referenced their previous encounters - sparingly, when appropriate and effectively - but it was its own match. To have two incredible, consecutive matches and to avoid reusing any material in the second is remarkable. Bonus points go The Boss for making a small child cry.

Why Bayley is on this list of two and The Boss isn't, despite being more than deserving: a) Bayley was the protagonist, and therefore the fulcrum of the story; b) Bayley, despite lacking The Boss' easy charisma, is a much more unique talent; c) Bayley's excellent David-versus-Goliath battle with Nia Jax; d) the sheer potential Bayley has - the potential to restart a revolution.

In 2015, Bayley had the best match. Sorry - make that two of the very best matches. She had the most compelling story. She has potentially the most exciting future of any wrestler in recent history. People in London sang "Stand up if you love Bayley" and ten thousand people stood up. She is, quite comfortably, my wrestler of the year.

I think the fact that Rollins has held the wrestling business' top championship for the majority of the year makes him a front-runner. He turned some pretty garbage booking into a great title run.

He also stole the show in a match that involved John Cena and Brock Lesnar.

For me, it's all Seth Rollins. It can't be anyone else. From the beginning of the year up until that injury, Rollins was the best thing going on, in term of up and coming stars. Excellent performance at The Royal Rumble. Excellent performance at Wrestlemania. Became the WWE Champion, deservingly so. Then also became the United States Champion by beating Cena at Summerslam and then defeated Sting at the next PPV. That's kayfabe wise.

Non-keyfabe wise, Rollins was the best heel in the company (not counting part-timers), was the best in-ring active performer. A trully great wrestler. And also got better and better in the mic.

How THE FUCK am I the only person to vote John Cena? Are all of you serious?

Look man. I love me some Sasha Banks and Bayley as much as anyone.....

But John Cena was putting on, at minimum, matches that rated a B+, EVERY WEEK FOR MONTHS. His gimmick was literally "have a random person come out and have a great match with John Cena"......Not only did he do it, but each match (er, sans the go-home) was different, and with everyone all up and down the roster, working whatever style made his opponent look best.

And that's JUST the US open challenge every week for months on RAW, its not even counting his numerous MOTY contenders, namely The Triple Threat at RR, and whichever one of the Kevin Owens matches you want to pick.

The backbone of RAW. Great matches with the entire roster every single week. Multiple MOTY contenders. Its incredible im the only one who voted for him.

I'll take excellence as a performer over kayfabe achievements for this category, I think, although I see both criteria as equally valid.

Your favourite wrestler was worse than John Cena this year, so vote for him.
Kayfabe-wise, I think it's Rollins or Reigns, without giving it much thought.

Anyway, Cena.

How THE FUCK am I the only person to vote John Cena? Are all of you serious?

Because he is John Cena, with all the positives and negatives that come with that.

Great in the ring and the Open challenge made me want to watch for the inevitable good match but he remains a character I have little to no interest in hearing or seeing.

All his "You want some? Come get some" did not make me care.

Bayley did.

I might have wanted to see the Open Challenge but I needed to see Bayley/Banks I + II, Bayley vs Jax and even Bayley vs Eva Marie.

You're free to pick Seth Rollins, but it's a waste of a vote. Seth really didn't have great matches as champion, there was nothing really profound of his reign. Probably most importantly, business was not unreasonably great under Rollins. He was a servicable champion, who was helped by working with the guy that deserves your vote much more, John Cena.

Aside from Cena, did Rollins do anything really all that remarkable as champion?

So why Rollins, when you could vote Cena?

But that's not who I'm voting for, either. Cena was excellent, but nothing Cena did was all that revolutionary. Bayley and Sasha, to me, proved that women can work at the top of your card. Her reign has pulled out good to great matches with far inferior workers, and she's been the best babyface WWE has on either roster.

It has to be Bayley, for me

It's easily Seth Rollins.

He competed in the match of the year at Royal Rumble. He cashed in MITB to become WWE Champion at WrestleMania 31, the moment of the year.

He retained against Randy Orton, Roman Reigns, Dean Ambrose, Brock Lesnar, John Cena, Sting, and Kane.

He was also the first man to hold both the US and WWE Championship at the same time.

He's the best heel in wrestling. As soon as his music hits, 90% of the arena is booing. There's no competition.

Seth Rollins is in the lead?

Do you folks really not remember that his title reign was absolutely awful, and that people were ready to claw their own fucking eyes out begging for a face turn or for him to drop the belt by October?

Yeesh. I know we all appreciate his hard work and wish him, but the injury induced rose colored glasses are out right now

Rollins for me. His cash in and rise to number one heel was great. Title run wasn't the greatest, and some would argue that Cena's run with the US was better. But Cena has always been on top, Rollins managed to crawl his way up there.

Rollins for me. His cash in and rise to number one heel was great. Title run wasn't the greatest, and some would argue that Cena's run with the US was better. But Cena has always been on top, Rollins managed to crawl his way up there.

If you're really that desperate to vote someone new, why not someone who deserves it like Bayley?

It's easily Seth Rollins.

He competed in the match of the year at Royal Rumble. He cashed in MITB to become WWE Champion at WrestleMania 31, the moment of the year.

He retained against Randy Orton, Roman Reigns, Dean Ambrose, Brock Lesnar, John Cena, Sting, and Kane.

He was also the first man to hold both the US and WWE Championship at the same time.

He's the best heel in wrestling. As soon as his music hits, 90% of the arena is booing. There's no competition.

Almost all reasons to vote for him in a kayfabe sense, but from an actual quality and entertainment stand point, a large part of his title reign was instantly forgettable.

The only thing I would really watch again from his time as champion was his match with Neville and his trying to escape Brock the night after Wrestlemania.

Seth Rollins is in the lead?

Do you folks really not remember that his title reign was absolutely awful, and that people were ready to claw their own fucking eyes out begging for a face turn or for him to drop the belt by October?

Yeesh. I know we all appreciate his hard work and wish him, but the injury induced rose colored glasses are out right now

Kayfabe wise, Rollins is the wrestler of the year. I think that's what most people are basing their vote off of. Yeah Cena had fantastic matches week in and week out, but he was the US champ. Rollins was the World champ. Rollins was also the first guy to hold the US and WWE titles simultaneously. Not to mention, he was the first fresh heel to break through the ceiling in how many years? Were this the award for who had the best matches throughout the year, Cena would win hands down, but I don't take the word wrestler in this sense, literally.

Pus it's all subjective. I never had a problem with Rollins' title run... despite the shitty booking, I thought it was one of the better ones in recent memory.

I don't take the word wrestler in this sense, literally.

He was in the promo and angle of he year too.

Seth Rollins reign was universally panned by folks in the industry. I know some people's tastes may have favored it, im just trying to provide some tangible evidence besides my own tastes that would point to it being awful

He was in the promo and angle of he year too.

Seth Rollins reign was universally panned by folks in the industry. I know some people's tastes may have favored it, im just trying to provide some tangible evidence besides my own tastes that would point to it being awful

Can't argue with you. Cena's just head and shoulders above everyone else in terms of... well, a lot. In reality, he should win this every time considering he's nearly always been involved in the best angles/matches/promos of the past 6 years or so. Probably why people base their votes on kayfabe accomplishments.

Now I'm wondering when the last time Cena won this was...

Seth's probably had worse booking this year than Roman. My nostrils are still drenched in stink of the Authority and all of the formulaic Raws built around him. Dude had an awful year.

John Cena is John Cena. Yeah, this may have been his best year to date. But he John Cena. He's the Jesus Christ of wrestling. We don't need to acknowledge he's great. His name carries that weight.

But Bayley. My God. This child has reminded people of what suspending disbelief is. John Cena was amazing, but did you ever feel an emphatic connection watching his matches? No, you knew he was gonna win 90% of the time. Everyone on the list is noted for great performances but none were really a great character. Jay Lethal sure as fuck isn't one. Bayley had the whole package. Still has the whole package.

Plus she's like a girl and shit.

Seth Rollins was the best wrestler in the World in 2015.

Yes, he was booked horribly as champion. But that doesn't matter.... he was still the best wrestler by far and away every show he was on. You give him a babyface role and let him have an open challenge every week for the title... the matches he would have put on would have blown everything Cena did out of the water. Work for work this past year you can say Cena edged him out, but that's all because of booking. Cena was not the best. Rollins was, and it was apparent every time he stepped in that ring. Just look at the Rumble Triple Threat, or Rollins matches with Cena during the summer.... Rollins outshined him every time.

As far as Bayley, I don't know, NXT wrestlers don't work enough to really be considered Wrestler of the Year material. Bayley had a couple of phenomenal matches this year, and was booked very well, no doubt about it. But how often did we see her compared to every other nominees? I get that quantity doesn't equal quality, but it's the same reason why I would never have voted Brock Lesnar for Wrestler of the Year last year. This is just my reasoning though, I completely understand if someone feels entirely different.

Seth Rollins was the best wrestler in the World though before he got injured, and was so all throughout the year, despite terrible booking. He's won on almost every wrestling poll at other places for this year and rightfully so. He deserves to win it here too as far as I'm concerned.

Garbage booking? Seth Rollins has had the best World Champion booking I've seen in maybe my entire career as a wrestling fan. It was consistent in storytelling and allowed Seth Rollins to show off his immense talents.

Sorry, but I think it taking about 18 guys for him to win a match is a little excessive.

The fact that it happened for months on end was ludicrous. Rollins was able to show his immense talents despite the crappy booking he received. That's just my opinion.

And so I don't get infracted, I'll mention that Bayley really only had a good 4-5 months in 2015. That might get me some heat, but it's true. Up until her return in June, she wasn't doing very much compared to the other girls.

Sorry, but I think it taking about 18 guys for him to win a match is a little excessive.

The fact that it happened for months on end was ludicrous.

I actually deleted my post. I was basing my opinion of his title run off of about the first half of it. I didn't follow it in it's last few months so I figured maybe I was missing some crucial information.

Seth is immensely talented.

He was also immensely over-exposed this year. He quickly reached a point where his talent wasn't enough to overcome my apathy.

He'd have benefited from having his TV time cut by a least fifty percent. I just couldn't get past that and vote for him.

I nominated Prince Puma along with Bayley. Puma would have gotten my vote since LU is my favorite promotion going right now, but Bayley was a super close second. Her rise to the title was some of the most must watch wrestling in years, and her matches just continued to get better and better, culminating in match of the year candidates with Sasha.

Time off has also given us time to ignore that Seth was pretty bad on promos. Anyone else remember that promo on Kane about meeting the Pope, and not going to hell?

Seth has many good qualities; being WWE's 20 minute promo guy is not it

I nominated Prince Puma along with Bayley. Puma would have gotten my vote since LU is my favorite promotion going right now, but Bayley was a super close second. Her rise to the title was some of the most must watch wrestling in years, and her matches just continued to get better and better, culminating in match of the year candidates with Sasha.

Her title reign matches have been good, too. She was really good with Alexa, and she got watchable matches out of Eva Marie and Nia Jax (!).

Also, just to JMT's point...I can understand not going through the schedule WWE does. But if we applied those standards to everyone, no one from WCW, TNA, even Japan would earn any wrestler of he year honor's, from anywhere. Part of the reason WWE is so profitable is an unruly schedule that winds up chewing up and swallowing most.

All I'm saying is, i don't begrudge anyone for not doing the main roster's ridiculous schedule

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back