WWE Region, Manchester Subregion, First Round: (1) Hulk Hogan vs. (32) James Storm

Who wins this match?

• Hulk Hogan

• James Storm

Results are only viewable after voting.
I really didn't think this thread would be worth my time. I mean, what's there to say? Hulk Hogan goes over here because he's one of - if not the - greatest wrestler of all-time. And he's going up against a TNA midcarder. In the first round of a tournament. This isn't even close.

Let's talk about primes, shall we? Y'all know about Hogan's prime. 1980s, WrestleMania after WrestleMania, pop culture icon, changed the business, blah, blah, blah. What's James Storm's prime? Eight days as TNA World Heavyweight Champion.

Anyone who votes for Storm should be banned.

I would rather watch 1 James Storm match than 10 Hulk Hogan matches, but there is no chance in hell that the biggest name in wrestling history goes out in the first round here.

Hogan would win this, and win it quickly. Storm is very, very good and deserves a proper run with the TNA World Title but up against the man who put wrestling on the map and was the biggest star in the industry for about 2 decades, he loses within a couple of minutes.

The Hulkster would withstand a quick flurry of offense from The Cowby, then wag his finger in Storm's face, Hulk Up and then drop the leg.

Winner = Hulk Hogan

Any guy with a superkick finisher has a chance to win any match at any moment, just go back and look at Storm's World Title victory over Kurt; however, when the guy he's wrestling can take the shot and kick out anyway as well as no sell any other offense in Storm's arsenal its a moot point.

Let's look at like this- If TNA were to book Storm versus Hogan for some illogical reason right now, with an elderly Hogan and an in his prime Storm, we all know Hogan would be booked to go over still to this day. Which leaves no debates here.

Hogan wins, as if there was another choice.

My pet cat wouldn't even vote against Hogan in this and she's the stupidest living creature in existence.

It's the point in the tournament where "because it's Hulk Hogan" is still a valid argument, but for the sake of not spamming we're fleshing it out.

But if, for some inconceivable reason, Hulk would allow Storm to go over him, you'd think they'd do it on a larger platform than Manchester. I know TNA is a big draw in Manc but Hulk losing in an upset victory is PPV material.

Guys, my argument still hasn't been addressed. Hulk Hogan has always had a weakness against other good guys, he never sees it coming and it always costs him. Someone stated that the Warrior was in a better position than Storm would be, how? Because he was IC Champ? Honky (who Warrior defeated) didn't even make the 128. Try and blow it off because it's TNA but James beat Kurt Angle who held 6 World belts in his WWF tenure and finished ahead of Mr Angle (who he cleanly pinned again), Jeff Hardy and RVD who have all held World gold "up north" and that's before you count in TNA Grand Slammers AJ Styles and Samoa Joe.

I'm actually the opposite to many of you here, I adore Hogan from Hulkamania through Hollywood back to Hulkamania and even for a good portion of his stay in TNA. As a draw, he kills Storm and, on face value, his records absolutely decimates that of the Cowboy... but Hogan has a legitimate Achilles heel and until someone can provide me with 80s "Hulkamania" Hulk records of wins against fellow good guys then, in my eyes, the Cowboy has a legitimate chance... which means I'm the guy dumber than your cat Soda:lmao:

Lol ok imagine this tournament is actually happening. So Hogan is booked to face James Storm. A prime Hogan i.e the most over person in the history of the sport, the biggest ever draw. Vs someone recently established as top 5 of a semi-credible federation.

So first - HUGE rub for James Storm immediately just being booked in this match.
Second - Hogan journeys to England, absolutely sells out the show.
Third - Hogan jobs to James Storm. James Storm advances to face Rocca/Kiniski. Hogan is out, the biggest draw in the entire tournament. In a WWE ring in a show he's selling out.

WHY would that ever be feasible? Hogan has beaten the absolute LOT in his time - even if James Storm has offence he hasn't seen before, does it really matter? He doesn't have a thing that would put Hogan down, it's just a matter of time until hulk up - leg drop - three count.

Within or out of kayfabe, there is absolutely no way James Storm ever goes over here. Like, ever.

Guys, my argument still hasn't been addressed. Hulk Hogan has always had a weakness against other good guys, he never sees it coming and it always costs him. Someone stated that the Warrior was in a better position than Storm would be, how? Because he was IC Champ? Honky (who Warrior defeated) didn't even make the 128. Try and blow it off because it's TNA but James beat Kurt Angle who held 6 World belts in his WWF tenure and finished ahead of Mr Angle (who he cleanly pinned again), Jeff Hardy and RVD who have all held World gold "up north" and that's before you count in TNA Grand Slammers AJ Styles and Samoa Joe.

I'm actually the opposite to many of you here, I adore Hogan from Hulkamania through Hollywood back to Hulkamania and even for a good portion of his stay in TNA. As a draw, he kills Storm and, on face value, his records absolutely decimates that of the Cowboy... but Hogan has a legitimate Achilles heel and until someone can provide me with 80s "Hulkamania" Hulk records of wins against fellow good guys then, in my eyes, the Cowboy has a legitimate chance... which means I'm the guy dumber than your cat Soda:lmao:

But Storm wouldn't be a good guy here. Not a chance. Against a prime Hogan, in a country he rarely visits and when he does was SUPER over, Storm would be booed out the building before he finishes his first beer.

I know UK is pretty smarky - they aren't turning on Hogan here. For the sake of this tournament, AWA/NWA/WCW/WWF/WWE/ECW/TNA all exist at the same time, + memphis/world of sport etc. In the context of that, who is really gonna give a shit about James Storm, when he's fighting the number one babyface of all time?

Anyway, in answer to your question, it's really hard to find peak Hogan face Vs face matches. They just weren't booked that often, in fact I can't even find/think of another in WWF other than Warrior. During his tour of Japan he was super over and beat Inoki/Fujinami regularly. He also went 22-0 over Tito Santana, who has as much of a chance as James Storm here (that may of been as a heel, I find it hard to believe they had 22 face vs face matches). 3-0 over Snuka too.

Basically, find me a lot of cases of midcard babyfaces beating Hogan and fine. Sting is not a midcarder. Nor is/was Warrior - he was clearly in the top three in the federation by WM6 along with Savage. Inoki in Japan is certainly>>>Storm too.

Actually, when Hogan was at his prime, the WWF didn't have a major presence in the UK because WoS was still going right up to December '88. The WWF started having a premise in '89 but that was through a fledgling Sky station that a very small percentage of people actually had and when the federation was actually becoming a big deal, Hogan was on his way out to WCW. In comparison, TNA does have a sizable following in the UK now so the Cowboy is very well known among British grap fans. Count in the fact that WWF programming back in Hogan's prime was full of squash matches and rarely featured Hogan in action compared to Impact & the PPVs showing Storm in constant high profile matches and I think you might be surprised at how well received James would be.

Now... getting back to Hogan's record against faces? By definition both the Warrior and Sid were midcarders when they got the best of Hogan because they had not won the big one. Had Hogan shown them up (as he ended up doing to Sid ONCE he was a heel), they would have dropped straight back into the midtable.

Actually, when Hogan was at his prime, the WWF didn't have a major presence in the UK because WoS was still going right up to December '88. The WWF started having a premise in '89 but that was through a fledgling Sky station that a very small percentage of people actually had and when the federation was actually becoming a big deal, Hogan was on his way out to WCW. In comparison, TNA does have a sizable following in the UK now so the Cowboy is very well known among British grap fans. Count in the fact that WWF programming back in Hogan's prime was full of squash matches and rarely featured Hogan in action compared to Impact & the PPVs showing Storm in constant high profile matches and I think you might be surprised at how well received James would be.

Ok fair enough but I mean, Hogan is a MEGASTAR. Me and my entire family had zero exposure to wrestling, it was never on TV and i had zero interaction with it - I definitely owned a Hulk Hogan novelty Shampoo bottle and knew who he was. He was the one wrestler I'd know about until I got into the product and became a Rikishi/Rock mark in the late 90s. I mean, you seen Battle Royale at the Royal Albert Hall? That was 1991 I think and everyone was sooo over. Super hot crowd. Obviously the Wembley exposure in 1992 was huge too, so I think it's fair to say the UK was getting a chunk of exposure to WWF while Hogan was still main eventing Wrestlemania every year. Anyone that got into the product around 1991 wouldn't exactly have a problem getting hold of the previous Wrestlemania VHS's and becoming a Hogan mark in the same way I watched Shawn Michaels career back when I got into wrestling.

Now... getting back to Hogan's record against faces? By definition both the Warrior and Sid were midcarders when they got the best of Hogan because they had not won the big one. Had Hogan shown them up (as he ended up doing to Sid ONCE he was a heel), they would have dropped straight back into the midtable.

Lol what. There is NO CHANCE that Warrior drops back into midcard and stays there after Wrestlemania 6. I know what you're saying - if he challenged and lost, he's basically Bundy at Wrestlemania 2. But no, it's entirely different. He was getting more support than HOGAN near the peak of his popularity. There's a reason neither of us can find face vs face hogan matches - they were never ever booked. It was a huge deal to be given that push for Warrior and in no way, shape or form could he be considered a midcarder at that stage. I think that's ridiculous.

I mean, it's equally absurd for Sid too. So he main events Wrestlemania, loses to Hogan, so by your theory he continues existing in midcard? It's hard to tell what happened next as he failed a drugs test and quit the company. Within a few months he was upper midcard at WCW, feuding with Sting and teaming with Vader. Then he stabbed a guy repeatedly with a pair of scissors, further RUINING his career - and was still main eventing PPVs within a year!! He was WWF champion (twice) in the year after that. I mean, the guy absolutely screws himself over as hard as anyone ever has and still was thrown multiple WWF titles SO quickly once back in the WWF.

In no way was Warrior a midcarder while being the #1 face in the company in the build to WM6. and no chance Sid went back to midcard when he tried all he could to cockblock his career and still achieved perennial mainevent status.

I was hoping the arguments for James Storm would convince me he would win, Sadly they have not.

I just can't see Hogan going out in the first round of a tournament to crown the greatest wrestler of all-time. It's just not realistic.

I love Storm, He's one of my favorites in the biz these days but his damn luck cost him a first round win this year.

Lol what. There is NO CHANCE that Warrior drops back into midcard and stays there after Wrestlemania 6. I know what you're saying - if he challenged and lost, he's basically Bundy at Wrestlemania 2. But no, it's entirely different. He was getting more support than HOGAN near the peak of his popularity. There's a reason neither of us can find face vs face hogan matches - they were never ever booked. It was a huge deal to be given that push for Warrior and in no way, shape or form could he be considered a midcarder at that stage. I think that's ridiculous.

I mean, it's equally absurd for Sid too. So he main events Wrestlemania, loses to Hogan, so by your theory he continues existing in midcard? It's hard to tell what happened next as he failed a drugs test and quit the company. Within a few months he was upper midcard at WCW, feuding with Sting and teaming with Vader. Then he stabbed a guy repeatedly with a pair of scissors, further RUINING his career - and was still main eventing PPVs within a year!! He was WWF champion (twice) in the year after that. I mean, the guy absolutely screws himself over as hard as anyone ever has and still was thrown multiple WWF titles SO quickly once back in the WWF.

In no way was Warrior a midcarder while being the #1 face in the company in the build to WM6. and no chance Sid went back to midcard when he tried all he could to cockblock his career and still achieved perennial mainevent status.

It's not just Bundy, heat magnets like Piper, Rude and DiBiase never moved beyond the midcard after losing to Hogan - why would Warrior have been any different? By definition, until you win a headline match or at least have a series of headline matches, you are not a headliner. Warrior's first headline match was against Hogan so he was a midcarder until that stage and had he lost at Mania, he would drop back to the midcard. Warrior may have been hearing cheers to the detriment of Hogan but a loss would have silenced that very quick and hearing cheers doesn't necessarily amount to being a massive draw - do a search, Sly does an in-depth analysis of how Warrior's reign was a flop.

Anyway, this is moving away from my argument. Hogan has shown weakness against fellow good guys and someone who has a surprise victory for a World Title over a former 6 time World Champ in Hogan's old stomping ground has the pedigree to suggest that he could do the same against the Immortal One.

Andre the Giant. Ultimate Warrior. The Undertaker.

Those are the three men that hold pinfall victories over Hulk Hogan between 1984 and 1991, which is when I consider his real prime to be. James Storm is one of the rising stars in TNA, but he does not hold a candle to any of those three men in their own primes. No matter how much you might dislike Hogan, the undeniable fact is that if Hulkamania era Hogan were to face James Storm, he would be posing after the match while Real American played in the background.

It's not just Bundy, heat magnets like Piper, Rude and DiBiase never moved beyond the midcard after losing to Hogan - why would Warrior have been any different? By definition, until you win a headline match or at least have a series of headline matches, you are not a headliner. Warrior's first headline match was against Hogan so he was a midcarder until that stage and had he lost at Mania, he would drop back to the midcard. Warrior may have been hearing cheers to the detriment of Hogan but a loss would have silenced that very quick and hearing cheers doesn't necessarily amount to being a massive draw - do a search, Sly does an in-depth analysis of how Warrior's reign was a flop.

Anyway, this is moving away from my argument. Hogan has shown weakness against fellow good guys and someone who has a surprise victory for a World Title over a former 6 time World Champ in Hogan's old stomping ground has the pedigree to suggest that he could do the same against the Immortal One.

Fair enough, I guess we class midcarders/main eventers by different standards. Despite never being world champions, I'd definitely consider Roddy and DiBiase to be at main event level considering they were the #1 heel in the WWF for significant periods of their careers. Rude I can give you, but he never headlined Wrestlemania against Hogan.

Point accepted thought and I'll agree to disagree. I do agree that Warriors reign was a huge flop - link to the Sly thread? Sounds interesting. I put it down to his personal failures outside the ring and unprofessional conduct throughout his career as opposed to a connection problem with the WWF audience.

I have to agree with the Hogan supporters. A prime Hogan is the biggest draw in the business ever. He was absolutely unbeatable. I love James Storm, but a win over Hogan here is just not feasible at all.

I know IWC loves to hate Hogan.But how can James Storm get 16 % votes on the pole?He will never ever come half as close to what Hogan was.This should be and will be squash match for Hogan.After 4-5 minutes,a bodyslam and leg drop and storm is ended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back