WWE's 50 greatest superstars list.

This list is ridiculous & a slap in the face to Ric Flair & Hulk Hogan. I'm a huge HBK fan, & if this were a list of the greatest wrestlers, I'd definitely put him @ the top. But this is a list of the greatest superstars, & there's no way you cannot have Hulk Hogan @ the top of that list. He is by far the biggest star in the history of wrestling, & they have him @ 23? Behind Jerry Lawler, Terry Funk, Curt Hennig, & Harley Race? I mean, those guys were great talents, but how many national promotions did they carry? And Ric Flair @ 17? This list seems like nothing more than yet another opportunity for Vince McMahon to stick it to guys who are working for another promotion. My top 5 would be:

1. Hulk Hogan
2. Stone Cold Steve Austin
3. The Rock
4. Andre the Giant
5. Ric Flair

I really dont agree Mark. I enjoyed watching hogan too, but in all honesty he just copied Superstar Billy Graham to the T.

Superstar Billy Graham was a much better talker than Hogan. He was slightly more technical in the ring. Hogan was a farce, every match was exactly the same. You could count wrestling moves he knew on a single hand.

It was a good guy version of Superstar Billy Graham's persona.

Hogan gets props for drawing power, but it was Mcmahon's money and breaking all the territory rules that made wrestling grow. Hogan was just the prop used at the time. Actually in my opinion wrestling was never the same after the end of the 80's, the last great generation of wrestlers.

The current crop of wrestlers are a joke. Noone on TV right now can draw a dime. Its just McMahons money and excellent media guys behind the scene that make wrestling what it is today. The talent itself S U C K S.

This is probably the worst list I've ever seen in some aspects and the best in others.

1st off for the most part the superstars that made the list deserved to be there (yes, even John Cena) but the order has to be the worst I've ever seen.

I expected it right away and even though both Hogan and Flair should be in the top five, I knew they wouldn't be because of their involvement with TNA. It would have been nice if politics and current alignments were thrown out the door and they gave an honest list and not one that was obviously highly political (considering the top 10 all have/had a good relationship with the WWE).

All in all I like the superstars chosen for the list (for example I was really happy they acknowledged both Sammartino and Savage) the order is pretty bad, but then again its a WWE created list so its pretty much what I expected.

For me, the list would start out as:

1. Hogan
2. Ric Flair
3. Austin
4. Andre the Giant
5. Lou Thesz
6. John Cena
7. Undertaker
8. Bruno Sammartino
9. Triple H
10. Shawn Michaels
11. Sting
12. Bret Hart

Hogan should take the top spot for bringing the WWE into a new era in the 80's. He was very popular prior to that in the AWA, and his heel persona along with the NWO brought WCW, then seen as the distant number two wrestling promotion, to the number one spot for quite a while.

Flair is number two because whereas Hogan was the WWF in the 80's, Flair was TNA/WCW. Flair brought the wrestling part of pro wrestling with excellent matches, while at the same time brought the entertainment part with excellent promos. He was the WCW.

Austin gets three because he helped bring the WWF/E from the verge of bankruptcy to the main stream. Vince obviously had a huge hand in that as well, but it is Austin who will be remembered for decent matches, excellent promos, and being the guy who revolutionized pro wrestling in the late 90's.

Andre the Giant was THE wrestler in the 70's. His size and presence brought immediate credibility. His drawing power was obvious when he faced Hogan at Wrestlemania III. It is a shame that most people will never know much about Andre and that decent footage of his matches will never really surface save for the late portions of his career when his career and his body were both winding down. However, one need read virtually any wrestling autobiography to know of the legacy this man had.

Lou Thesz was pro wrestling when he was around. He loved it and was an excellent wrestler who would never have lost...aside perhaps when facing Andre. Lou reportedly looked the part, suit and tie, and represented pro wrestling as a professional sport rather than entertainment as it is now being represented.

John Cena has been the WWE's torch bearer since he got the strap in 2005. In mid to late 2004 he was already becoming popular and now is the WWE's image. The fact he held the world title for over a year during an era of month to three month title reigns speaks volumes. Furthermore, like it or now, he is the face of pro wrestling for the past decade.

Undertaker has been around for two decades in the WWE and has managed to reinvent himself successful during each of the auras. He has faced all the top stars and held numerous titles. Undertaker may not have been on the level as Austin or Hogan in that he brought pro wrestling to a whole new level, but he has been a consistent force to be reckoned with throughout the years and where many other stars faded away because they couldn't change with the times, managed to give new dimensions to his character while not betraying its roots.

Bruno was the face of pro wrestling for the WWE in the 60's and 70's, with perhaps the exclusion of Andre. His star power immediately brought fans to the arenas. He was a wrestler that fans, especially in the north-eastern states, could identify with. he was Vince McMahon Sr's go-to man, with again perhaps the exclusion of Andre.

Triple H is a variation of this generation's Ric Flair. However, that does not mean he is this generation's Ric Flair. Unfortunately, this generation's Ric Flair probably is in the form of several wrestlers. Nevertheless, Triple H was dominant the past decade, picking up numerous world titles and facing many of the top WWE, and eventually former WCW stars in matches. He was part of several huge stables including DX, Evolution, and the Helmsly-Mcmahon alliance. In addition, he is married into the McMahon family meaning he will have an influence in pro wrestling for years to come. The reason though he is where he is at is through he was dominant, he didn't bring wrestling to a new level like Hogan or Austin did, be the mainstay of the company like Ric Flair, or be in it as long as the Undertaker and successful. This may change though as ten or twenty years down the line, who knows what decisions Triple H may make that will forever change the landscape. Give another decade and given this man's accomplishments in the ring and outside of it (but influencing it), he could take the number one spot.

Shawn does not deserve the number one spot. Shawn had a wonderful career, had many excellent, match-of-the-year matches, and was one of the founding fathers of the "attitude" era. He was the next man in line after Bret to carry the WWE's torch. Unfortunately, his "12 year old boy's dream" clashed quickly against fans who were much more interested in men like Austin. It made his first world title reign, while decent in terms of wrestling, fairly insignificant in term of changing the landscape or leading into the future. Shawn shouldn't feel bad though; this continued for a couple of more years until Austin won the title. Beyond that, though Shawn helped start the attitude era, he wasn't part of the biggest parts of it. Nor was he part of the WCW / WWE feud. By the time he came back, pro wrestling was on a down trend. Shawn did what he could, he had excellent matches, putting over talent when he needed to. Heck, even injured, he could have a great match (see him vs Triple H at the first Cyber Tuesday). Shawn was a mainstay, no doubt about it, but not quite on the level as the Undertaker.

I don't get why Rey Mysterio is ranked so high. The guy botches his own finisher all of the time, so why is he considered so good, again? I always felt that if it weren't for Dean Malenko, Mysterio wouldn't have even been nearly as popular in WCW, and even in ECW he lead the, "You f'ed up," chant pretty much nightly. I don't think Mysterio sucks, or anything, but let's face it, he's incredibly overrated.
I also don't get how you can rank Ric Flair only #17 behind JOHN CENA, but I don't want to go on a rant about how overrated I think Cena is, too. I'm sure we've all heard enough of those. But Flair at #17? The man cut the best promos and wrestled some of the best matches, during his hay-day; maybe because he wasn't a WWE product? I don't know, but I know that he's at least a top ten of all-time.

All the older guys like thesz and kolwalsky should be at the top those are the guys that started the wwe aka wwwf. hogan and cena should be at the bottom of the list. batista shouldnt be on the list. Hell fucking brock lesner should be in the top ten with kurt angle at number one. shawn micheals shoutld be at number five. jake the snake should be higher than he is. All my comments are based off of a wrestlers pure abillity.

My only wrestling experience comes from a high school wrestling stint and therefore I have no inkling or clue of how the sports entertainment style of pro wrestling works. But one thing I am SURE of as a fan is that anyone who steps into that world to learn the art has to at least grasp the fundamentals and execute them well. I even apply this to wrestlers I can't stand watching and trust me there are plenty out there I hold that distinction on, but I still respect their ability to be doing something as grueling as pro wrestling is, obviously you are already someone who I can tell doesn't appreciate that concept, your user name on this forum says that already.

Guys like Hogan and Cena I am sure had to successfully do just that in order to be where they are today. If they weren't they'd have never made it to the level of stardom that they had today. Just because they are not specializing in mat wrestling does not make them any less worthy of being called workers and/or wrestlers. They're competing in an artform that's entertainment first and nothing less, it's not a sport where you use all these fancy moves to your advantage to put a contest into your favor. These folks already know what's going down before they go into their match. It sounds like you are having a hard time grasping that concept and figuring that one out bossman.

Plus I am sure ANY one of those wrestlers on that top 50 list as flawed as I find it could wipe a mat with you any day of the week, even the ones that are in a post-mortem state could probably still pull it off. By basing a top 50 on pure wrestling ability shows you are sadly narrow minded, if it's your own top 50 where you're holding your own opinion that's fine but to try to create an unbiased top 50 that most objective minded people can agree on you have to let your personal opinion step aside.

For instance, I am a huge Bret Hart fan, but at the same time I realistically know that Bret's placement is just a little too high as much as I hate to say that. It's just a fact dude, Bret was great but he was the top of the heap in WWF when they were at their less than best, he in no way can share that same superstar status like Hogan and Austin have had.

I can tell you truly know next to nothing about wrestling history and who the top stars truly are, because on top of all your other idiotic words that you've butchered and misused, you also can't get your wrestlers straight. Lou Thesz was NEVER in the WWWF/WWF/WWE.

The Wrestling Observer is reporting that WWE is set to release a "Top 50 Superstars of All-Time" DVD and the following list of names has been revealed for the disc:
It says the following list is on the disc, not this is the order in which the superstars are ranked. Obviously nobody in the world would put rey mysterio over hogan or flair. and to those whining about sting and goldberg be left off, it seems the list is only including the ww/f superstars, and not superstars of all companies. If they were opening it up then Yoshihiro Asai, The ultimate dragon, deserves a pretty high spot on there.
I am surprised that The Ultimate Warrior and Yokozuna were left off completely though, especially in favor or Jeff Hardy or Batista. But it's just a list people, not a ranking of any sort.

I'd change Ortons place he just seems to excluded for a guy they wanna capitalize on in the future , Cena #16 really ? WWE has to smell their own rotting balls for that one , in terms of great wrestlers or entertainers Cena does not deserve a place in the top 20 maybe 21 20 or something but beating Flair and so many others come on !

The Wrestling Observer is reporting that WWE is set to release a "Top 50 Superstars of All-Time" DVD and the following list of names has been revealed for the disc:
It says the following list is on the disc, not this is the order in which the superstars are ranked. Obviously nobody in the world would put rey mysterio over hogan or flair. and to those whining about sting and goldberg be left off, it seems the list is only including the ww/f superstars, and not superstars of all companies. If they were opening it up then Yoshihiro Asai, The ultimate dragon, deserves a pretty high spot on there.
I am surprised that The Ultimate Warrior and Yokozuna were left off completely though, especially in favor or Jeff Hardy or Batista. But it's just a list people, not a ranking of any sort.

Heh, I was just about to post this exact same thing. There's nothing that says this is the ranking, just the list of 50.

That being said, I'm surprised about Batista and (sorry folks) Randy Orton on there. Randy Orton is a huge face right now and people seem to think he's just great but before that he hasn't really been that great. He's slow, boring, and speaks like it's a struggle to come up with the next word in every sentence. In the ring he's pretty much the same way.

Just a bullshit list that any member of this forum could make a better one of in less than fifteen minutes. If it was mine would start from scratch.

Nick Bockwinkel! what the fuck? Bad enough he gets in the 'WWE' hall of fame but to be put on this vid when correct me if I'm wrong he never wrestled for the WWF and if he did it was before my time.

Just looking at this list I seriously doubt that it is in any kind of order. They are usually pretty good with ranks so I doubt they would get things this wrong. Hulk Hogan definitely does deserve a top 5 rank, as does Ric Flair, regardless of who they work for now WWE would honor them and place them where they belong I believe.

Wether he likes it or not, Rock>HHH and it's not even close. Rock accomplished alot in a very short period of time. He became an icon in 6yrs and that's something doesn't happen. Beside, while rock was in the company i never heared anyone mentioning HHH as the top guy. You can argue about titles and all that stuff, but i have a Q: How many times was HHH the champion in 2002? That's right he was like 4 times champion, and you know why? I'll leave the answer to you.

Yeah, I never said Rock was greater than HHH. I said HHH would most certainly believe, after all the time he has put in, that he belongs higher on that list than The Rock does. But it doesn't matter.

Some of you are actually still buying into this list being legit, and I can't understand why. It's NOT! It's just a random list of guys who are going to be on the DVD. This may have been exactly how WWE put the list out, but that doesn't mean it's in any kind of order. I'm basically repeating what I said before, but this just cannot be an actually WWE list, in order, of it's greatest Superstars.

And also, let's not forget WWE's ability to forget the past and focus on the future. Do you honestly think John Cena would end up that low on this kind of list? Right now, at this point in time? No way. He would most definitely be in their top ten. Just more proof that this list is not in any particular order. It's just not.

When I read this list that has Edge and Rey Mysterio higher than Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair, it lost all credibility for me. How could WWE not have Hogan and Flair in the top 10 if not the top 5? Mysterio is in the top 10, are you kidding me?

Honestly though there is no reason to get upset about it since its a WWE DVD. This is the top WWE "superstars" list. It just blows my mind that Hogan isn't even in the top 20. There wouldn't be a WWE without him, and I'm not a huge Hogan fan. I'm not sure if this is the actual list in order because I saw one list where Cena was in the top 5 if not the number one slot. Also, Santino was on the list. Either way, both lists are ridiculous.

It's good to know that a wrestler who held the title across two reigns for over 11 years in total, including the longest single WWE Championship reign in men's professional wrestling history, is in the mid-20's.

BRUNO SAMMARTINO should be in the top 10, if not the top 5. Hell, this man was the champion for nearly a decade straight -- that is pretty much amazing. How there can be over 20 people who were better than him is ludicrous.

This has to be the WORST listing I have ever seen in my entire life! How in the world can they explain Rey Mysterio being in front of Triple H, Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair & Dusty Rhodes? How? I understand that Vince McMahon carries gripes, but c'mon, John Cena is better in his prime than Ric Flair in his prime? Wow...I have completely been insulted by this list!

Lol only the IWC would shit their pants about something like this. Its so obvious this list isn't in any order. Like many have said its just a list of people who are on the dvd. Nothing more nothing less. It doesn't matter what the hell WWE would do with a "Top" list of anything, everyone would still bitch and cry about it. Yes Hogan is number 1 for the purpose that he made pro wrestling what it is, yes Austin is number 2 for he saved wwe(f) from going down the shit hole. Those are easily the guarantee'd spots, but after that its almost impossible to make the perfect list because all of us would bitch about it one way or another. Whatever dumbass i read that thinks Cena should be nowhere near a top list doesn't know shit about wrestling. Hes easily a top 10 for sure. If this was somehow the real top 50 list of course I have bitches and concerns, but it doesn't matter cause this IS NOT IN ORDER IN ANY WAY. I swear you people just have to find something to bitch about everyday.

I would just move Ric Flair and Hogan up the list a bit, but otherwise it stays the same. And for all you ******s out there who said that Hogan and Flair should be top 10 if not top 5, how would it look if the WWE said that there top 2 superstars of all time were on there main rivals show!

i think the benefit HBK and Harley race give to their positions is their influence on future generations. not sure what algorithm went into making this list because a lot of the rankings seem wonky at best, but who knows with the "E"

Let's be real here. There are 3 guys that are interchangeable as the top three Superstars ever. Hogan, Flair and Andre. Hogan and Flair represented the top 2 companies in the world through all of the '80's and the beginning of the 90's
Hogan, along with Hall and Nash, revitalized the wrestling industry in '96. Flair has more wrestling talent at 61 than 3/4 of the WWE roster and works better on the mic than anyone other than Jericho or possibly Punk. As far as Andre, he had total dominance from 1973 until Wrestlemania 3. Andre was what Kane and Big Show should be... Unstoppable.

I like Hbk, Hart, Piper, Austin, Perfect, Taker, Rock and most eveybody on the list, but the top 5 is no place for most of them.

Razor Ramon should be on that list. Ramon was the first four time Intercontinental Champion, a participant in the legendary Wrestlemania X Ladder Match, and among WWE's most popular stars in the 90s. It is absurd for WWE to not include Ramon.

Hulk Hogan, in his last run with WWE was getting bigger pops than DX.

Shawn shouldn't be #1, he didn't draw well in his first title run, and he only became legendary after he came back from his back injury.

Eddie was good but not better than Triple H. Terry Funk? A JOKE.

This whole list is bullshit. Moolah over Orton? Then wheres Trish?
you said one thing that i thought of as well when i saw moolah i was like hell yes she was legendary but when i didn't see trish i was thinking what the heck but hey hogan being at 23 doesn't really bother me because if triple h is 12 then they could put Hogan where ever they want to and thats the bottom line cause thesage said so!

There are a lot of things to nit-pick about this, what makes it the toughest is we have no idea what criteria they use to determine the top fifty... general opinion on here is dictating that Hogan be #1, I would agree if contribution to wrestling was part of the criteria, but if it's just who's best at the craft I have absolutely no problem with HBK on top, but I would have a beef with Jericho all the way back at 25.

I'd really like to see how they compiled this list
correct man Jericho at 25 is such a drag no doubt jericho is my boy through and through like i said i could care less about hogan he only entertained me as a child but when then i started to heels and hogan didn't cut it and when i look at it now hes ring work just sucked. But its a good thing cena aint at 1 cause i know you guys would have flipped out lol wwe should have done that just to spit the IWC. lol, its funny when u think about it really.

The fact that Kane and the Big Show are on that list is a joke... They are pretty much there because of their tenure.

Hall & Nash were a big deal, even as Razor Ramon & Diesel. Another glaring omission is Vader.

Jake Roberts being on that list is pretty bad too, considering the only WWF/E gold he has ever won is the Million Dollar Title. Tito Santana had the Intercontinental title for a pretty long reign, not to mention is a Hall of Fame member.

To be honest, WWE shouldn't even do something like this because it just stirs controversy and makes people angry.
i you hit the spot there man they know people will be pissed lol it makes them become center of attention on the IWC which is a plus for them.

First of all, this is WWE's list of their top 50 stars of all-time, meaning in their company. It's not for guys who made their names and had their best years in some other organization like WCW. That's why Flair is so low. Hogan not being #1 makes this whole thing a joke. He was, is, and always will be the biggest star in WWE history, and that is the bottom line.

I would just move Ric Flair and Hogan up the list a bit, but otherwise it stays the same. And for all you ******s out there who said that Hogan and Flair should be top 10 if not top 5, how would it look if the WWE said that there top 2 superstars of all time were on there main rivals show!
Then don't put the list out now. WWE thinks their fans are stupid and don't remember what happened more than a year ago.

I disagree with the the whole list. I am not a Cena fan by all means but he should be in the top five. I'm ok with Shawn number one but number four was Brett Hart? Come on, The Rock was way better than Brett Hart. Ric Flair should have been number two.

The list irritates me so badly. My eight year old cousin could have done better.

The top ten should have looked like this.

10 Brett Hart
9 Eddie Gurrerroe
8 Triple H
7 Hulk Hogan - Love him or hate him, he did wonders for WWE
6 Undertaker
5 John Cena
4 Stone Cold
3 The Rock
2 Shawn Michaels
1 Ric Flair

I know they wouldn't make Flair number one with him being in TNA but if they are going to make a list, they need to put some more thought into it.
Ric Flair was the best on the mic in the 80's and the best in the ring in my opinion. If it wasn't for Ric Flair guys like Shawn Michaels and The Rock wouldn't have did what they did.

Top 50 "Superstars"... so I get it, people who made big impacts for WWWF/E and any other incarnation they had, so Sting should obviously not be on the list, now if the list IS in order all I can say is... bitter much Vince? list is a joke if that's the case, and a bad one at that, Hogan, without a shadow of a doubt to ANYone being honest with themselves, was THE Superstar who made that company, but if not in any order, still some GLARING omissions, no Warrior? INSANE, just like him, no Demolition? STILL the longest reigning Tag Champs in WWE history, no Big John? and since the women are dubbed "Divas" there is no god damned reason for names like Moolah to be on there, Jerry Lawler has done shit in WWE but announce so he shouldn't even be on a Superstars list, and others but thas enough, I get why some of the new names are on, to sell to the kids even if they are shit, they're what's there right now so... money money money, and IF the list is in order Vince is a bitch bitch bitch

Hulk Hogan... 23rd!?

How?

Baring in mind that this list is, apparently. The greatest superstars of all time and not the greatest wrestlers of all time. Now, if it was the latter option, then I could definitely understand that Hogan was that far down the list. However, Hogan is thee wrestling superstars and everyone else who has come after him is only trying to achieve that level of success. One could argue that only Stone Cold Steve Austin has ever gotten to that level of fame and notoriety.

So, with that in mind, I fail to see how Hulk Hogan could be anywhere close to 23rd.

If this was a true superstars list, then Hulk Hogan and Stone Cold would top the list all week long. However, when it comes to the list, there are some other issues that immediately jump out of the page to me. For example, I don't think that Shawn Michaels is the greatest superstar in the history of the WWE. He is close to that but there are others who are better than he is. I would say that superstars like The Rock and The Undertaker are better superstars than Michaels.

But hey, this list was made by one entity and has no more credibility than if I or you made one. This sort of thing is comepletely different from person to person, so I am not going to lose sleep over this list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back