BattleZone Tournament Questions & Discussion Thread

The Doctor

Great and Devious
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hello!

Welcome to the fourth annual BattleZone Tournament. JGlass and I took a few years off, but we're back, and we got a great tourney lined up for all of you.

In this thread, you can ask any questions you might have or just talk about the goings-on in here. Remember that this is non-spam, but we do have a spam thread in the GSD for discussion, which is here.

Feel free to speculate, discuss, and dissect, and if you have a question feel free to ask and either JGlass or myself will be more than happy to help.

Just to be clear because I can't remember & frankly some new folks may not be aware of....

Anything in a fighters arsenal is included for use as long as it is on hand or frequently used, correct? Like Senzu beans are in, but the Batmobile is out? Obviously nobody will have time to go make a potion or construct something.

Just to be clear because I can't remember & frankly some new folks may not be aware of....

Anything in a fighters arsenal is included for use as long as it is on hand or frequently used, correct? Like Senzu beans are in, but the Batmobile is out? Obviously nobody will have time to go make a potion or construct something.

There's really no clear-cut guidelines for what can and can't be used, but we ask the posters in the tournament to think fairly and reasonably.

To use Batman and the Batmobile for example: It would be reasonable to assume that Batman could call in the Batmobile remotely during the fight. It would be unfair to have Batman call in every single version of the Batmobile so that he has an army of Batmobiles and Buggs Bunny only has his wits and his carrot.

Same could be said for Iron Man. Those who have seen Iron Man 3 know that he has an arsenal of automated suits that can do battle alongside him, but that's not really in the spirit of this tournament.

As with most rules, it basically boils down to common sense and respecting the spirit of the game. Play fair, don't inject your argument with steroids just so you can win.

Quick question: how does someone like Neo work? Is he going to have his Matrix abilities in all of his fights or are we to assume that he's not in the Matrix?

Also, no Dragon Ball characters?

Quick question: how does someone like Neo work? Is he going to have his Matrix abilities in all of his fights or are we to assume that he's not in the Matrix?

Thank fuck.

As was the case last time Neo was in, it can be argued that he is not plugged into the Matrix but it's worth exploring all arguments. As for DBZ, yes there is. All the character profiles have yet to be finished. They should be done hopefully by tomorrow at the latest.

Yeah, just assume that he's plugged into the Matrix or has access to those abilities. We are supposed to be treating these characters as if they at their peak.

Also I am assuming that there is no prep time for these fights, and that they are random encounters, correct?

Also I am assuming that there is no prep time for these fights, and that they are random encounters, correct?

Correct, same rules as usual. No prep time, no home field advantage. Neutral area. All competitors know about each other is their name and any information publicly available.

Yeah, just assume that he's plugged into the Matrix or has access to those abilities. We are supposed to be treating these characters as if they at their peak.

That's not necessarily true. I'd argue that the idea is to treat the characters as they are most often portrayed. Otherwise you could argue that, say, Magneto has the Phoenix Force in him, or is jacked up on Mutant Growth Hormone.

So Neo does not have his abilities? Also, Kratos? Are we using him as the God of War? Does he have that shield and sword that can kill gods?

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but will there be two separate set of brackets for Humans/Supers like the previous time?

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but will there be two separate set of brackets for Humans/Supers like the previous time?

For the first time, we decided to make it a mashup. 64-competitor free-for-all. One bracket. Thought it'd contribute some pleasant mayhem.

On Link is it the Link from a specific title such as Ocarina of Time, or would he have access to items from multiple titles like he has in Smash Bros? Just looking for verification on that for purposes of potential points of discussion.

That's not necessarily true. I'd argue that the idea is to treat the characters as they are most often portrayed. Otherwise you could argue that, say, Magneto has the Phoenix Force in him, or is jacked up on Mutant Growth Hormone.

Well yeah, I figured we take the characters best showings at their most consistent portrayal.

On Link is it the Link from a specific title such as Ocarina of Time, or would he have access to items from multiple titles like he has in Smash Bros? Just looking for verification on that for purposes of potential points of discussion.

Amalgamation, like Smash Bros. Samus and Mario are similar.

I always like these kinds of things, and I'm a big fan of the r/whowouldwin subreddit, but you really have to just have fun with it and not ride your one guy to victory by being the douchebag who picks the most OP character and spams his world-ending abilities in every fight.

Like, I love Hulk the comic book and movie character, but if you start getting into his Ultimate stuff and some of the one-off angles, you're looking at a monster who can punch holes in time and space, and it just gets ridiculous. There's no fun or spirit of competition in just throwing down trump cards every round.

So Neo does not have his abilities? Also, Kratos? Are we using him as the God of War? Does he have that shield and sword that can kill gods?

He might, if he's plugged into the Matrix.

As for Kratos, I really don't know enough about him to know how often he carries around his god killing sword and shield. Assuming he has those items for more than like, a short period of time in the franchise, I don't see why he shouldn't have them.

So we'll literally argue that he's plugged in and the other person will argue that he's not? That'll be a circle argument.

Also, is there a limit to Trunks' power or can we use the highest level that he's reached?

For the first time, we decided to make it a mashup. 64-competitor free-for-all. One bracket. Thought it'd contribute some pleasant mayhem.

In that case can we kick one of these sure fire first round fodders like Green Arrow for someone more interesting, like The Hulk?

So we'll literally argue that he's plugged in and the other person will argue that he's not? That'll be a circle argument.

Not if the argument is informed.

Also, is there a limit to Trunks' power or can we use the highest level that he's reached?

The guideline around this is to be reasonable. We include DBZ characters because we understand that it's a popular franchise with beloved characters, but we also know that these characters have a tendency to be ridiculously powerful to the point where they could easily ruin the contest.

So be reasonable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back