Houston Region, Third Round: Embarassment: (4) Chris Jericho vs. (5) John Cena

Who Wins This Match

• Chris Jericho

• John Cena

Results are only viewable after voting.
Not really close. In one on one matches, Cena has won 12 times. Jericho has won 1 time. That is a smaller numbers, wouldn't you say so? I would. Also, Cena doesn't lose matches to the likes of JTG and R-Truth. What is the stipulation here again? It doesn't matter, unless it is whoever gets pinned wins, in which case it would go to Jericho.

Last I checked neither of these men have ever used the others finisher to win a match so even playing field as far as im concerned. Also when Cena beat Jericho he wasn't in his prime. Jericho has faced far stiffer rougher opponents in Japan. The thing hurting Jericho here is how weak Cena's moves are. I mean in reality Cena's moves shouldn't put anyone down so how can Jericho win with them. Jericho is by far better and would win any other match other than this bullshit gimmick match designed to get Cena farther.

Last I checked neither of these men have ever used the others finisher to win a match so even playing field as far as im concerned.
It barely ever happens. I dont see your point here.
Also when Cena beat Jericho he wasn't in his prime
On which occasion are you talking about. Jericho's prime has been in this decade and you're an idiot if you think otherwise. Cena has dominated Jericho throughout his career.
Jericho has faced far stiffer rougher opponents in Japan.
Irrelevant.
The thing hurting Jericho here is how weak Cena's moves are. I mean in reality Cena's moves shouldn't put anyone down so how can Jericho win with them.
I really dont know what you are talking about here. Reality in a kayfabe wrestling tournament? Idiotic.
Jericho is by far better and would win any other match other than this bullshit gimmick match designed to get Cena farther.
:lmao::lol:

You're a bit of a tit aren't you?

Quoting everything I vehemently disagree with since I last posted would take, I dunno, several minutes. I don't have that sort of time. That in mind, here's a list of points I'd like to reiterate:

1. Chris Jericho has a grand total of one win in singles competition against John Cena - in a breathlessly close match in 2002, which nobody in their right mind would consider Cena's prime.
  2. John Cena has so many single wins against Chris Jericho that I literally couldn't be bothered to count them all. Like I said, busy man.
  3. A rookie John Cena defeated a Chris Jericho that'd only just lost the Undisputed Championship months before.
  4. Cena isn't, arguably, a triple crown winner and Jericho is because Cena has the horrible affliction of being a career main eventer while, although his supporters would never admit it, Jericho has been a career midcarder who's been in the odd main event.
  5. Managers? Cena's beaten Jericho in a match in which Eric Bischoff was the fucking referee.
  6. John Cena eats stables for breakfast.
  7. Chris Jericho eats John Cena's nuts for breakfast. Tastes like Nutella, only hairier. I'm told.
  8. WCW Chris Jericho's biggest achievement was cutting surprisingly good promos - it was definitely not his prime.
  9. John Cena doesn't lose. Well, unless he has to go through an elimination chamber beforehand.
  10. John Cena especially doesn't lose against Chris Jericho, emphasised by points 1 and 2.
  11. Cena can't apply a Boston Crab on Jericho? Fuck off.
  12. Even Cena's "five moves of doom" contain more athletic moves than the Codebreaker, so don't give me that one.

I'm sure there are more but we've established that I'm a busy man. Frankly, the first two points are more than enough. Basically, I'd question if Jericho could beat Cena in an alternative dimension where he's seventy feet tall, breathes fire and is composed entirely of anti-Cena molecules. He sure as shit can't beat him in this world and with this gimmick.

Now I voted for Jericho as he's my personal favourite wrestler, but he shouldn't win this...nor should he come anywhere near to winning this. This is exactly the type of match Jericho would lose to Cena. Jericho, in his prime, was mainly a heel. Cena is a face. Jericho would talk trash endlessly, he would then be shut up by the face, and to add that final humiliation, he would lose to his own move. It seems logical to me and I could see Jericho submitting to the Walls (which is essentially a Boston Crab if we're using the latter version). Cena walks out of this the winner while Jericho lies on the cold mat, tears in his eyes, screaming in pain.

Are people seriously using the unbelievably lame and false excuse that Jericho wasn’t in his prime when Cena beat him? You people are too much. So many people here praise Jericho as a wrestling God to this day but now the best you can do to get Jericho to the next round is to say he was past his prime in 2002. Worst argument ever. Doesn't that contradict everything you've preached about him for the past several years? When exactly was Jericho’s prime? During the three months he held the undisputed title? That’s not much of a prime for the best in the world for what he does. Cena would have beat Jericho back then anyway. Every one of Cena’s wins over Jericho occurred during Jericho’s prime. Some even took place before Cena’s prime. There is absolutely no way to objectively justify a win for Jericho here. You may as well just come on here and say you voted for Jericho because I like him better. At least that would be honest.

Edit: Funkay did just what I asked for as I was posting. While I obvioulsy disagree with his vote for Jericho, at least he was honest and said the only reason he voted that way was because he likes Jericho better.

Are people seriously using the unbelievably lame and false excuse that Jericho wasn’t in his prime when Cena beat him? You people are too much. So many people here praise Jericho as a wrestling God to this day but now the best you can do to get Jericho to the next round is to say he was past his prime in 2002. Worst argument ever. Doesn't that contradict everything you've preached about him for the past several years? When exactly was Jericho’s prime? During the three months he held the undisputed title? That’s not much of a prime for the best in the world for what he does. Cena would have beat Jericho back then anyway. Every one of Cena’s wins over Jericho occurred during Jericho’s prime. Some even took place before Cena’s prime. There is absolutely no way to objectively justify a win for Jericho here. You may as well just come on here and say you voted for Jericho because I like him better. At least that would be honest.

Edit: Funkay did just what I asked for as I was posting. While I obvioulsy disagree with his vote for Jericho, at least he was honest and said the only reason he voted that way was because he likes Jericho better.

If pro wrestling was this simple Jericho wouldn't have gone over Rock and Stone Cold, at least based on the logic you're using here Brain.

Sure, Cena probably wins this match, can't really get around that; but the thing is, it's probable, not set in stone. There are certainly ways around Cena winning here, this is pro wrestling after all, where even the brightest stars fall.

As far a Jerichos prime, well, he's obviously had multiple primes; because he's so good he can reinvent himself and hang with the best. Jericho could return 5 years from now and still return to the main event picture and people would no doubt talk about how he's again in his prime. Jericho winning the Undisputed Championship is probably where you cap his original prime, ultimately it doesn't get any better than going over Austin/Rock no matter how he won those matches. (Lets also not forget he won both those matches using his opponents finisher, something that everyone just seems brush off). During what I would consider Jericho's prime, he was beating Triple H on Raw for the WWF Championship, though the title victory was overturned I still look at it as a victory.

Point being, the man has multiple primes, because he's so good he can fit in with anyone, he can put on a match with anyone, and he can make anyone look good.

...and while Cena is most likely going to be booked the winner, it's certainly not set in stone. This is professional wrestling here, twists and turns are to be expected, and Jericho has the skill set, and the track record to pull this off.

Everyone want's to talk about the one on one record between the two, Excuse me, but when has that been the end all be all for anything sports related, real or fake. The fact the Jericho has a win over Cena, after Jericho's main prime is more than enough to validate a win for Jericho. Cena was pushed sky high because of the lack of competition, Jericho was pushed during the peak of pro wrestling competition. When the WWF has the best of the best they decided to push Jericho, over Rock, Austin, Trips, Taker and everyone else at the time.

If we want to take into account the little things, like Mic Work, Actual Wrestling Ability, The ability to put on an amazing match and basically EVERYTHING ELSE besides win/loss record then Jericho is the clear cut favorite here. Y2j at his peak on the mic was one of the best, pretty much behind The Rock and none other.

Everyone seems to be stuck on the Win/Loss record, yeah, Cena has the advantage in Win/Loss Record, do you guys have anything else? As Shattered has pointed out on a number of occasions all those losses where past the prime of Jericho, even Jericho's win against Cena is past Jericho's prime, which goes to show that Jericho has a victory against Cena when he was already past his prime. Just image if Cena was around when Jericho was in his prime, the win/loss record would be a lot different.

Ruling Jericho out because of a Win/Loss record that may as well be thrown out the window, as none of those wins Cena has against Jericho came in Jericho's main prime, his second prime, maybe; but certainly not the actual prime of his career.

Anyone who says Jericho doesn't have a chance has become too familiar with the current booking style of the WWE, in that Cena is always booked to win, well Cena was never booked to go over Jericho in his prime, so you can toss that win/loss record right out the window.

If pro wrestling was this simple Jericho wouldn't have gone over Rock and Stone Cold, at least based on the logic you're using here Brain.

Sure, Cena probably wins this match, can't really get around that; but the thing is, it's probable, not set in stone. There are certainly ways around Cena winning here, this is pro wrestling after all, where even the brightest stars fall.

That's true, but in this case we don't have the benefit of storylines or future booking predictions. It's simply a matchup against two stars and Cena is much more likely to win than Jericho. The bold part is really the key. The poll simply asks who would win the match.

As far a Jerichos prime, well, he's obviously had multiple primes; because he's so good he can reinvent himself and hang with the best. Jericho could return 5 years from now and still return to the main event picture and people would no doubt talk about how he's again in his prime. Jericho winning the Undisputed Championship is probably where you cap his original prime, ultimately it doesn't get any better than going over Austin/Rock no matter how he won those matches. (Lets also not forget he won both those matches using his opponents finisher, something that everyone just seems brush off). During what I would consider Jericho's prime, he was beating Triple H on Raw for the WWF Championship, though the title victory was overturned I still look at it as a victory.

Point being, the man has multiple primes, because he's so good he can fit in with anyone, he can put on a match with anyone, and he can make anyone look good.

I don't think this multiple prime argument helps Jericho. I could look at this as Jericho being inconsistent and not able to remain on top for a long stretch of time. For six years now Cena has been on the top of the mountian without interruption.

...and while Cena is most likely going to be booked the winner, it's certainly not set in stone. This is professional wrestling here, twists and turns are to be expected, and Jericho has the skill set, and the track record to pull this off.

It may not be set in stone, but we are supposed to judge who would more likely win this match. Twice now you've said that Cena is the more likely winner.

Everyone want's to talk about the one on one record between the two, Excuse me, but when has that been the end all be all for anything sports related, real or fake. The fact the Jericho has a win over Cena, after Jericho's main prime is more than enough to validate a win for Jericho. Cena was pushed sky high because of the lack of competition, Jericho was pushed during the peak of pro wrestling competition. When the WWF has the best of the best they decided to push Jericho, over Rock, Austin, Trips, Taker and everyone else at the time.

When we're predicting a winner of a hypothetical match I think past matches that actually went down between the two is the strongest argument there is. You say Cena was pushed to the sky because of lack of competition, but Jericho was actually his competition. There was also Triple H, HBK, Angle, Edge, Orton, and Batista.

If we want to take into account the little things, like Mic Work, Actual Wrestling Ability, The ability to put on an amazing match and basically EVERYTHING ELSE besides win/loss record then Jericho is the clear cut favorite here. Y2j at his peak on the mic was one of the best, pretty much behind The Rock and none other.

You say everything else beside win/loss record, but that is the most important thing. The poll asks who would win. Besides Jericho could be just as cheesy on the mic as Cena. I don't think Jericho is so far ahead of Cena when it comes to mic work.

Everyone seems to be stuck on the Win/Loss record, yeah, Cena has the advantage in Win/Loss Record, do you guys have anything else? As Shattered has pointed out on a number of occasions all those losses where past the prime of Jericho, even Jericho's win against Cena is past Jericho's prime, which goes to show that Jericho has a victory against Cena when he was already past his prime. Just image if Cena was around when Jericho was in his prime, the win/loss record would be a lot different.

Ruling Jericho out because of a Win/Loss record that may as well be thrown out the window, as none of those wins Cena has against Jericho came in Jericho's main prime, his second prime, maybe; but certainly not the actual prime of his career.

At what point was Jericho past his prime? Vengenace 2002? SummerSlam 2005? Survivor Series 2008? All that was past his prime? I don't think so. You think Jericho's prime was in 2000. I'd say he hadn't even entered his prime at that point. Jericho's prime probably began in 2001 and I would say he is still in his prime.

Anyone who says Jericho doesn't have a chance has become too familiar with the current booking style of the WWE, in that Cena is always booked to win, well Cena was never booked to go over Jericho in his prime, so you can toss that win/loss record right out the window

I'm voting for the guy who would be booked to win and I think most of us can agree that would be Cena. Even if Cena didn't beat Jericho while Jericho was in his prime (which he has multiple times) do you think the Jericho of 2001 would beat the Cena of 2007? I just don't see it.

I don't think this multiple prime argument helps Jericho. I could look at this as Jericho being inconsistent and not able to remain on top for a long stretch of time. For six years now Cena has been on the top of the mountian without interruption.

You could but you could also (correctly) look at it as Jericho competed in an era with more talented people. Cena's era is so lackluster that Jericho took over two years off and came back as a 37 year old yet he was almost instantly back in the main event (winning three more major titles). If it is so impressive that Cena beat him some during this time then it should be telling that the powers that be thought Jericho was better than the people Cena was on top of. The competition isn't nearly comparable.

It may not be set in stone, but we are supposed to judge who would more likely win this match. Twice now you've said that Cena is the more likely winner.

Then why does it say this in the OP?

As for voting, vote for who you think would win this match based on the criteria you choose. Some suggestions would be (not limited to):in ring ability, overall skill, their level of influence at the highest point in their career, ability to connect with the crowd, experience in major matches or simply personal preference etc.

CM Punk just beat Orton by a substantial margain. Obviously entertainment factor and wrestling ability is considered by most people and in this case no one gave a shit about how someone was booked in recent years. People need to quit pretending that is the main criteria in this tournament.

When we're predicting a winner of a hypothetical match I think past matches that actually went down between the two is the strongest argument there is. You say Cena was pushed to the sky because of lack of competition, but Jericho was actually his competition. There was also Triple H, HBK, Angle, Edge, Orton, and Batista.

So Rock obviously beats Hogan? No. You need context along with these prior matches. Everyone is ignoring context here.

You say everything else beside win/loss record, but that is the most important thing. The poll asks who would win. Besides Jericho could be just as cheesy on the mic as Cena. I don't think Jericho is so far ahead of Cena when it comes to mic work.

Yet you did just say he was ahead which means you think he is better. Win/loss has never been the most important thing in this tournament, just look at the past winners.

I'm voting for the guy who would be booked to win and I think most of us can agree that would be Cena. Even if Cena didn't beat Jericho while Jericho was in his prime (which he has multiple times) do you think the Jericho of 2001 would beat the Cena of 2007? I just don't see it.

At least you correctly identify the question here. Too many are not approaching this question from that viewpoint. Maybe you do not see it but I sure do. Even if it is close all the further intangibles related to wrestling ability etc. tilt towards Jericho. Let us look at how Cena led of your 2007 prime year. He lost to K-Fed. Sounds pretty embarrassing to me. He lost to Carlito that year as well as Edge, HBK and Orton. The last three all have a lot in common with Jericho.

Jericho is known to pick up wins against those guys and guys like HBK. That said, those guys aren't Cena. There's no comparison here. You can make any hypotheticals you want about Jericho's success against other main eventers, but his history with Cena is so well documented that there's really no reason to subscribe to your little fantasy land.

Cena was pushed sky high because of the lack of competition
Yet look at the sheer number of men who came and went in the main event during Cena's time. That's a list that includes Jericho, who was a flash in the pan during that period where there was supposedly no competition. Cena was trusted to be that constant. Not Jericho.

Jericho was pushed during the peak of pro wrestling competition. When the WWF has the best of the best they decided to push Jericho, over Rock, Austin, Trips, Taker and everyone else at the time.
And almost immediately, the higher ups realized what a mistake they'd made.

What prime are you speaking of? WCW cruiserweight Jericho wouldn't beat Cena. Neither would overachieving midcarder Jericho. And if you think Undisputed Champion Jericho is better than the Jericho Cena defeated at Survivor Series 2008, you have some serious rethinking to do.

What prime are you referring to?

What prime?

Anyone who says Jericho doesn't have a chance has become too familiar with the current booking style of the WWE, in that Cena is always booked to win, well Cena was never booked to go over Jericho in his prime, so you can toss that win/loss record right out the window.
What prime?

I am torn. I want to give an edge to Jericho for veteran experience and resourcefulness, but Jericho has a subpar record against Cena to date.

Convince me.

My vote is going to Chris Jericho, and this is why.

John Cena isn't used to winning off using his opponent's finishing moves. Infact, Cena isn't used to winning off anything other than one of two ways. The moves he can't win with. Now, lets keep in mind unless there was a rule stated that I was unaware of - the two individuals in 'said' match can still use their finishing moves, they simply can't win with them.

The moment Cena tries to pull off a Codebreaker, Jericho is going to understand his own move and know how to counter it. What's the perfect counter for a guy trying to throw his knees/legs into your chest? You grab them! What's the perfect follow through move after you've just grabbed an opponent's legs? The Walls of Jericho.

Once Cena has went through the ego-bust of failing to hit the Codebreaker, followed by the punishment of the Walls, Jericho can then go directly from the Walls (Cena's already on his stomach) to the STFU. Cena's back will already be in pain from the Walls, and continuing that punishment in a hold that Cena has to know hurts (otherwise, why would he have picked it as a finisher?) he'll have no choice but to quit sooner or later.

Yes, Cena has a lot - and I mean A LOT - of endurance. So getting him to tap out is arguably going to be harder than pinning his shoulders to the mat. That's why I'm going to submit argument B.
----------

Just like before, Cena isn't the type of guy who knows how to pull off other individuals finishing moves, and he certainly isn't going to know how to properly attack someone with the fullest from them. The Walls of Jericho is a basic Boston Crab with a higher arch. Almost anyone can do that, and if Cena sticks to not trying anything other than that - He has the best chance to win there. However, Cena isn't simple. He loves challenges and he loves to show off in the biggest way possible. He'll want to hit the Codebreaker, at least once.

When Jericho has tried the Codebreaker on Cena, there have been moments in which Cena has countered it with strength and pulled Jericho up into an AA. There is no logic to thinking Jericho couldn't end up doing the exact same thing. And most of the time when Cena's hit his move on Jericho, that's been the match. Once again, when the roles are reversed there is no reason to believe the end result won't still be the AA being hit for the win.

I firmly feel that Jericho could win this match.

You could but you could also (correctly) look at it as Jericho competed in an era with more talented people. Cena's era is so lackluster that Jericho took over two years off and came back as a 37 year old yet he was almost instantly back in the main event (winning three more major titles). If it is so impressive that Cena beat him some during this time then it should be telling that the powers that be thought Jericho was better than the people Cena was on top of. The competition isn't nearly comparable.

But not better than Cena himself otherwise Jericho would have beaten him too. Is 37 some kind of number that we automatically associate with past one's prime? Ric Flair turned 37 in 1986, Randy Savage in 1989, Hulk Hogan in 1990, and Bret Hart in 1994. Those guys were all in their primes and did well for years after. 37 means nothing here.

Then why does it say this in the OP?

The poll asks who would win the match:shrug:

CM Punk just beat Orton by a substantial margain. Obviously entertainment factor and wrestling ability is considered by most people and in this case no one gave a shit about how someone was booked in recent years. People need to quit pretending that is the main criteria in this tournament.

I voted for Orton, but that match doesn't really have anything to do with this match does it?

So Rock obviously beats Hogan? No. You need context along with these prior matches. Everyone is ignoring context here.

52 is a lot bigger number than 37. That was Hogan's age when he lost to Rock. He was clearly not in his prime, but you already knew that so I don't see why you brought it up. Jericho was in his prime during every match with Cena.

Yet you did just say he was ahead which means you think he is better. Win/loss has never been the most important thing in this tournament, just look at the past winners.

If the poll asked who I would prefer to see in a comedy club, or who would win a debate, I might vote Jericho. Then again maybe not. Doesn't matter though because the poll asks who would win the match. Based on the physical evidence I have actually seen over the years I'm going with Cena.

At least you correctly identify the question here. Too many are not approaching this question from that viewpoint. Maybe you do not see it but I sure do. Even if it is close all the further intangibles related to wrestling ability etc. tilt towards Jericho. Let us look at how Cena led of your 2007 prime year. He lost to K-Fed. Sounds pretty embarrassing to me. He lost to Carlito that year as well as Edge, HBK and Orton. The last three all have a lot in common with Jericho.

You're bringing up K Fed? Really? That just reeks of desperation. Do you want the laundry list of guys Jericho has lost to? I'll spare you from that and just bring up one guy that Jericho has lost to many times over the years. John Cena.

Now Will, that's an interesting argument. And by "interesting", I obviously mean "amazingly convoluted." Because if you actually look at what is obvious, i.e. the facts, evidence precedents, etc., it's plain as paper that Cena is the winner here. To get to Cena winning, you walk out the front door. To get to Jericho winning, your desired result, you have go down the stairs, out the back door, down the back passage, through the secret gate, across London Bridge, steal a Ferrari, drive it to Heathrow Airport and arrive in Soviet Russia where, presumably, Chris Jericho beats John Cena.

I mean, my argument's already been laid out and you can find it throughout this thread by just scrolling up. If you were planning on voting for Chris Jericho, I suppose you'd read that instruction - you know, "scroll up" - get confused, do a backflip, run into a wall, turn around, nose gushing with blood, jump through your window and into oncoming traffic. You're now dead. Sorry about that.

But shit, I'll argue your scenario anyway. Or rather, scenarios, because you were kind enough to provide us with two which were scalpel-specific:

Scenario A: You eventually admit that this one wouldn't actually work, but hey, whatever. You said that Cena would go for the Codebreaker and Jericho - despite, I might add, having the Codebreaker hit on him by opponents such as Edge - would have suddenly gained the ability to counter it into the Walls of Jericho for the first time in his life. After wearing Cena down - and Cena not getting up or reversing or doing anything he normally does after he gets beat down, because this is Soviet Russia - he locks in the STFU and, well, Cena would not tap out. Not in Soviet Russia. Not in outer space. Not on a boat. Not with a goat.

I looked up how many times John Cena has tapped out since 2004 - or even before then. You can count them on one hand. Scratch that, you can cut off both your hands and still be good. It's zero. While looking that up, I came across an instant, before their I Quit match, that Batista hit Cena with two spinebusters and a Batista Bomb before putting him in the STFU. Of course, he tapped out, right? For any of this ludicrously specific scenario to make sense, he tapped out, yeah? Yeah, well, sorry. Even with what I can only guess was mush for a spine, Cena would not tap out to Batista who, need I remind you, is much bigger and stronger than Chris Jericho.

Scenario B: Firsly, "Cena isn't the type to know how to pull off other people's finishing moves" made me guffaw. I imagined a ludicrous scenario in my head - not unlike you - where Cena wasn't a veteran of over ten years and numerous times world champion. He was arguing with the ref that he'd won the match:

"Come on, ref! That was a Codebreaker! Fair and square!"
"John, what are the talking about? You just did a 450 splash into a hurricanrana."
"That's not a Codebreaker? Shit, man, I just don't know how to do other people's moves, you know?"

And then, secondly, that the Walls of Jericho is too easy to pull off - i.e. it's too easy for Cena to win the match - is up there with "Edge has lost so many times that he's due a win" as a shitty argument. You're arguing that John Cena would have too easy a time with Jericho and would intentionally sabotage himself. This is pants-on-head crazy even if we do discount the fact that Cena will go for shortcuts - i.e. choking Umaga with the ropes, taping Batista to the ringpost, knocking Big Show out with a chain, putting Big Show's legs in the ropes, etc. etc.

Essentially, if you're voting Jericho on anything but the basis "I prefer him to Cena" then, just like Booker T, you've tried to do 2+2 and come up with Thomas Jefferson.

Suckah.

This has to be Cena's match, as Jericho's track record has shown he has never beaten Cena 1-on-1 straight up, so by having Cena trap him in the Walls of Jericho to beat him again should have no problems. We're not talking about how Jericho can't beat Cena, we're talking about how Jericho won't beat Cena. Jericho applying STF? Nah, Cena doesn't submit rarely... AA? Nah, he's super tough to keep down from that... Cena can do an elevated Boston Crab, and as strong (his character) as he is, Jericho cannot counter out of it.

My vote: John Cena

I went with Chris Jericho in this one. Frankly, my main reason for doing so is because he is one of my favorite wrestlers of all time. Not to say that I am a Cena hater, because that is hardly the case, but I would vote for Jericho over almost anyone in the tournament.

Jericho is a much more versatile wrestler than Cena. I see it as being far more likely that Jericho could use of of Cena's finishers against him, rather than the other way around. Not intended to be a Cena bash, but simply put, his move set is far more limited than is Jericho's. I see this one being a long and drawn out affair, but in the end, Jericho hits Cena with the Attitude Adjustment, and it is on to round four for him.

Not gonna lie I voted Y2J because he's my favourite as well.

It's not like Jericho COULDN'T beat Cena in this one, it's WOULD he.

Maybe we'll never know

I like Jericho, I really do. He's done as much as one can do in their careers. He has the veteran experience of having worked in territories, Japan, ECW, WCW, and the WWE(F). Jericho could never return to wrestling and he's a sure-fire Hall of Famer. Jericho has the edge on Cena in terms of experience and the fact that he's worked in and thrived in so many different tournaments. But there's one thing Jericho hasn't done since 2003, and that's beat John Cena in a single's match.

One thing we can automatically throw out the window is Jericho defeating Cena with the STFU. Cena simply doesn't submit in matches, he hasn't once since turning face in 2004 and forward.That's 7 years of not tapping out once. He won his first ever submission match, and is undefeated in "I Quit" matches as well. Even if Jericho could get the STF on Cena, Cena simply won't tap out.

As for the FU, it's a simple firemans carry that most wrestlers can execute. The problem is, half the time Cena goes to hit it, people elbow their way out of it initially bfore he can hit it. Seeing how it is Cena's move, he'ld be even more successful then the average wrestler in getting out of his own move. Even if Jericho managed to hit it, I hve aa hard time seeing it keeping Cena down.

Jericho'scodebreaker is an effective move in that its someting he can simply hit out of nowhere. Cena'a agility hs improved over the years that he's hitting dropkicks now, so him htting the codebreaker on Jericho certainly isn't out of the question. I could see Jericho missing the lionsault, as he usually does, and Cena turning quickly and hitting an overpowering codebreaker.

When Cena does hit one finisher, it's often the set-up for his submission manuever. In this case, it would be a set-up for him to use the Walls. He's bigger and stronger then Jericho, so I think after a devastating codebreaker, him turning Jericho in the Walls wouldn't be as difficult for him as it is for Jericho to do against Cena. And unlike Cena, Jericho does tap out, and I don't see how things would be much different here. He's submited to Cena many-a-time, this would be no different.

These two have excellent chemistry together, and always produce good to great matches, but Cena wins this. His win loss record against Jericho speaks for itself, and the fact that he doesn't submit and Jericho does only adds to to his advantage. A victory by Jericho would be quite the fluke here, and I don't see that happening here. Cena wins this at the 23 minute mark when he elbows out of the FU, hits the quick codebreaker, and locks Jericho in the Walls, who struggles for a minute before submitting.

And with that, ladies and gentlemen, the dragon has been slain. The internet dragon. You know, I don't normally lend much credence to the view that internet wrestling fans are any different to regular wrestling fans. I mean, for one thing, it seems to imply that there's a large section of wrestling fans that are such backward hicks that they don't even have an internet connection. However, the fact that Chris Jericho managed to garner only thirteen less votes than the man who is essentially his kryptonite might make me reconsider if there is such a disconnect between being a functioning member of society and being a functioning member of a wrestling forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back