Kurt Angle vs Chris Benoit the feud that will be forgotten about your thoughts?

quink987

Pre-Show Stalwart
Kurt Angle vs Chris Benoit is one of the greatest feuds of pure wrestling the WWE has ever had. These 2 have fought since the year 2000 all the way up to 2004 they have been tag team champions together and feuded in proberly the best Royal Rumble match in 2003 lets look at the highlights of their feud...

1)Steel Cage match were both men performed unbelivable stunts from jumping off the cage.
2)the triple threat match at Wrestlemania 16 with Chris Jericho
3)the 30 min Submission match at Backlash 2001
4)the 3 stages of hell match at Judgement day 2001
5)winning the tag titles in 2002
6)being in involved in the greatest tag matches at No Mercy 2002 and Survivor Seris 2002
7)the great Royal Rumble 2003 match which Ivs watched loads of times

so to be fair both men have great influences in each others WWE career so my question is if Benoit didnt do what he did would this be regarded as one of the greatest feuds in WWE

I don't know about the greatest, but it would definitely never be forgotten. It can;t be the greatest because I believe they only had the one match for the title at the Rumble in 2003, so it won;t be able to pass the likes of Hart/Michaels, Rock/Austin, ect.

However, I do think that the WWE is really missing something when it comes to this fued.

It launched benoit to a main event spot and got him wildly over with the crowd. it showed that he can and WILL put on the best matches every night and with the top guys. I often reference this fued when discussing Daniel Bryan with a buddy of mine.

This is what they need to do with DB. Right now he's over but not where he needs to be to become World Champ. Put him in a fued with somebody who can go with him for 20 minutes and put on great matches . Not sure who that person on the roster is right now though. Possibly Christian or maybe Jericho if he comes back. Punk definitely but they are on different shows and Punk is Champ so that has to wait.

Off topic a bit but this reminded me of DB.

But no, Angle/Benoit is not the greatest of all time but it is going to be slightly looked past because of what Benoit did, definitely.

Also who can forget the TV matches they had whilst being a part of the Smackdown 6 and their match at Unforgiven. Also missing their classic WMX7 match on the list there ;)

I can't say anything negative about their stuff during 2002-03 and whatever else I have seen them in from earlier was top notch. If there was no politics involved in lists of selection, then I would say for all-round quality it would be between the top 10 and top 15 feuds over the whole of WWE history. I mean they didn't have a totally memorable angle or amazing promo moment (of course given Beniot's limited mic work). But the in-ring stuff was always top-notch.

I gotta say that it was one of the better rivalries of the early 2000's. Angle and Benoit went back and forth since Wrestlemania 16 and the matches got better with the majority of the preceding bouts. Hands down their magnum opus at Royal Rumble '03 tore the house down; the actual rumble match pale in comparison. The build up to the match was great, and it was one on one with no interference from Haas and Benjamin. I highly doubt that any fan of WWE during this period will forget this feud.

The promos, build up and backstage segments were also freaking hilarious. Kurt was always doing something gay like slapping benoits ass and benoit would be like WTF angry face?! LOL. Kurt always cracked me up with his gay jokes.

I think this was the greatest pure wrestling feuds of all time. No one can doubt these two were the greatest in ring performers of our time. They were technical wrestlers who could mix in other styles. I truly believe their match at the Royal Rumble was the greatest wrestling match of all time. As far as greatest feuds, I would put it somewhere in my top 25.

Man this is a great thread. Anytime these competed in a match it was legendary. The 3 stages of hell match at Judgment Day is definitely one of my favourite matches, not to mention that whole ppv was awesome, especially the first blood match between Stone Cold and Undertaker and the chain match between Triple H and Kane worked perfectly. It's understandable that what Chris Benoit did was totally unforgivable, but we live and forget. Benoit had great matches, especially with Kurt Angle, I don't see why they couldn't at least show his matches, a DVD would be awesome, but that seems unlikely. It's a shame. One of my favourite Benoit matches was the ladder match between him and Jericho at Royal Rumble 2001 for the olympic gold medals, absolutely brilliant!

The promos, build up and backstage segments were also freaking hilarious. Kurt was always doing something gay like slapping benoits ass and benoit would be like WTF angry face?! LOL. Kurt always cracked me up with his gay jokes.

Those looks where pretty funny, you always thought Benoit could just strangle him to death at any moment. :)

this was one of my favorite feuds, both of them were at there prime and so technically sound in the ring, and they both brought out the best in one another, they worked great together as opponents and tag teams there backstage promos were funny as hell. if kept as a tag team they would have held the belts for a long time, but wwe don't like tag teams too much.

i will always stand behind this statement benoit was a top 5 in ring performer

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back