The Briscoes Reportedly Done With ROH

The Dragon Saga

Whale in a Teardrop
I think this belongs outside the General ROH Spam thread and while they feature parts of whats happening on upcoming shows in ROH they acknowledge tapings before they air so its not a spoiler:

Source: PWInsider

We have been told by several people within Ring of Honor that The Briscoes could be done with the company following "Best In The World" weekend in Baltimore, Maryland. Nothing is confirmed but we're being told that after the show and their main event match for the ROH World Championship, Mark and Jay got into a shoot fight backstage, which resulted in Mark being absent from yesterdays TV taping.

ROH officials felt that Jay featuring at the event being the World Champion was more important than Mark and had Nigel McGuinness inform the crowd that due to an injury Mark wouldn't feature on the show. During the taping Jay Briscoe faced Matt Hardy for the ROH World Championship, after the match SCUM beat Jay down which is said to have been an extremely heavy beatdown and the atmosphere after it in the arena would be comparable to when Shawn Michaels collapsed during his match with Owen Hart on Raw in 1995, even featuring Jay being carried from the ring.

Nobody has been able to clarify what has resulted in the outcome but it's believed that either head booker Hunter "Delirious" Johnson or Sinclair Broadcasting executive Joe Koff suspended Jay Briscoe or told him to go home for the foreseeable future, not willing to put up with the antics of The Briscoes. Jay Briscoe is currently ROH World Champion and the decision was made that instead of stripping him of the title he would be forced to vacate it, ala Rob Van Dam as TNA World Heavyweight Champion in 2010.

This is yet another knock for Ring of Honor over the weekend, really disrupting what has been a great 2013 for the company. Everything has been positive until this weekend, their weekly TV show has been compared to WWE's NXT, their production quality has risen significantly and their PPV's are delivering, fans and fellow wrestlers such as Kevin Steen and Davey Richards attribute this to the removal of Jim Cornette last year.

What is worse for ROH is not only have they discontinued iPPV's but August is a big month for the company with them holding two big shows, one in Maple Leaf Gardens which some believe will be the biggest ROH show in history and two weeks later Manhattan Mayhem V live event from the Hammerstein Ballroom in New York City. With The Briscoes seemingly gone (for now) that is one of their biggest draws absent from the shows, so a lot of pressure falls on top guys like Kevin Steen, Adam Cole, Jay Lethal and The American Wolves to bring in crowds, one which will collectively go above 5,000 people in two weeks between Toronto and Manhattan Mayhem V.

It'll be interesting to see if they try to cash-in on Davey Richards rumored impending departure from the company at the end of August and do a farewell tour likened to that of Bryan Danielson in 2009. That would be one way of drawing crowds.

2013 has been very good to Ring of Honor this year and for a while there they really had the most consistent product of the top three, but this really hits them hard. And if your expecting The Briscoes to pop up on WWE or TNA television, don't hold your breath because they are still contracted to ROH.

So basically, in short, The Briscoes got into a fight with themselves at BITW after they main evented the show, Mark was sent home, Jay was let to continue so he could defend the ROH World Championship and then he was told to go home too, so both Briscoes are kind of "suspended" in a way with no date on when they'll return or if they'll return at all.

I was really enjoying ROH this year again after a miserable 2011 and a decent 2012, but this weekend has really knocked the wind from the sails.

Talking to someone on twitter that was at the TV taping & they said Mark was there involved, on top of that the whole Briscoe family was partying in the parking lot after the show. They heard the Briscoes are taking the summer off, which makes sense since they both work on a farm, & Jay's wife looked liked she was about to pop & give birth any day now. I'm hoping this is the case & these reports are just a bunch of bullshit, & they're just working us.

Well they do say that they're being told by people within ROH, those people could be could be saying these things in attempt to make the work feel look more legit. They also say that nothing is confirmed, then later go on to say that "nobody has been able to clarify what has resulted in the outcome".

It also just feels odd to me that after an iPPV with the tagline "Nobody fights like family" that they would send home the two brothers they had fighting each other in the ME for fighting each other.

If this is true and the briscoes are done with ROH, then this is a big blow for the company. The Briscoes have been a big part of ROH since the begining and are two of the bigger draws in the company. Since Jay won the world title, a lot of focus has been placed on both briscoes and to lose them know would be a massive loss for ROH and would once again set the company back.

I sincerely hope so. No company, wrestling or otherwise, should have such an angry homophobic prick as their representative. He's a ********.

I sincerely hope so. No company, wrestling or otherwise, should have such an angry homophobic prick as their representative. He's a ********.

Considering its reported their now going to WWE, that angry homophobic prick your referring to could be on Raw and Smackdown within the next six months.

Thing is if both Briscoes are out, you'd think they'd have Matt Hardy win the championship. I know a lot of fans hate the thought of Hardy as champ, but the whole SCUM storyline has been big this year for ROH. But this would be a big blow to them if this is true.

Yes, because wrestling has never had a prick, homophobes, assholes, ********s, act. You're a fucking tool if you think Jay is the first person to say shit like this.

Both of the brothers are great workers, maybe not the brightest crayons in the box. But two great workers who have paid their dues.

If he wants to be a homophobic prick as you put it. Who the fuck cares, it's his life. He's entitled to his own opinion. I don't agree with it, but yes lets burn someone at the stake for a statement they made on social media.

I'd rather that they go to TNA where they would at least get treated a little better and don't have to worry about being politically correct like they would in the WWE plus they would be used allot better I can already see a feud between dem boys and James Storm and Gunner.

Yes, because wrestling has never had a prick, homophobes, assholes, ********s, act. You're a fucking tool if you think Jay is the first person to say shit like this.

Both of the brothers are great workers, maybe not the brightest crayons in the box. But two great workers who have paid their dues.

If he wants to be a homophobic prick as you put it. Who the fuck cares, it's his life. He's entitled to his own opinion. I don't agree with it, but yes lets burn someone at the stake for a statement they made on social media.

I love the attitude of a lot of ROH fans. Yes, let's gloss over inappropriate behaviour by saying "who the fuck cares, move on". Had John Cena made the very same remarks I sincerely doubt people here would be using the same argument.

I'm not naive enough to think this guy is the only homphobe in wrestling, and there's nothing wrong with having an opinion, what IS wrong is when you vocalise that opinion in a hateful way.

Is saying you're against interracial marriage acceptable? Not to a lot of people. However, a hateful cunt can hold that opinion if he/she wants. If they say they'd "shoot" anyone teaching interracial marriage was okay....is that okay in your book?

For me, Briscoe's comments are personal. I care. I'm gay. He's said stuff on twitter about queers and **** being around New York and stating "#whatthefuck". That doesn't annoy me, I encounter thaat quite regularly in a small Irish town believe it or not. I couldn't give a flying fuck about that.

What I do care about is the ignorant fucking comment. I'm highly fucking offended by it to be honest. If I regularly watched ROH I would be stopping out of protest. This isn't like Jericho calling a fan a "***" in passing, that's just a quick insult he could think of. Yanno if he'd said "it's my opinion that gay marriage isn't right, I don't agree with it" because of religious or other reasons....then yeah, that's an opinion. That's not offensive, I wouldn't have batted an eyelid. What he did say was VERY fucking offensive to me.

I'm not going to get on my soapbox but so many gay kids get such a shit fucking time. You don't realise how hard it can be on some of them unless you've walked a mile in their shoes. If even one or two of them watch ROH and see that comment, made by THE representative of a company, you don't know how deeply that can affect some people.

If it was some lower midcarder on the ROH roster it wouldn't be that bad. The champion SHOULD have had media training and SHOULD be media savvy. Like it or not they represent your brand. In ANY company, wrestling or otherwise, you cannot have someone on your team making comments like that.

Many straight blokes don't realise just how big wrestling is amongst the gay community (big muscley men, I know, how shocking). As a champion don't fucking alienate a sizable chunk of your audience.

You can go "it's only a social media comment" all you want. Yes, for you it's just a comment. For me, it's a condemnation of equall rights. A condemnation that he doesn't view me and others like me as warranting the same rights as he enjoys. To the degree that he'd "shoot" someone teaching otherwise. Whether being serious with the last part or not it's simply not fucking acceptable. Have an opinion, fine, but THAT is not voicing an opinion. That's being a ********.

I'm repeating myself at this stage but I'll sum it all up:

You can defend him as a "talented worker" all you want. The face of the #3 promotion in North America should be wise enough to the media to avoid this. If, for example, a cast member of the Walking Dead made the same comment do you think they'd still be working on that show? No. You can't have uneducated, violent, homophobic ********s representing your company. It just doesn't fucking work.

To you, it may be an opinion. For me, it's a very personal insult. There's nothing reconcilable about it, it's out and out ignorant. I'm not an easy gay man to offend, I make more gay jokes than all of my straight male friends do. I'm far from sensitive about it. This SERIOUSLY offends me. So yeah, call me a "tool", call me a jackass, call me whatever the fuck you want but I find it VERY fucking offensive what he said and I hope it's a factor in him leaving ROH.

I'm well aware there's a lot of homophobic people in the wrestling world. They're just smart enough to keep their opinions to themselves.

Oh, and I have serious doubts about him going to WWE any time soon DragonSaga. These comments aren't that old and due to the nature of them, and WWE running the B A Star campaign, GLAAD would go apeshit. When GLAAD had problems with the WWE a few years ago a LOT of things changed. Companies take notice of it, they can affect advertising in a huge way. I think, though I may be wrong, that WWE adopted its anti-bullying stance and B A Star after a run-in with GLAAD.

Are they stupid enough to sign a developmental talent that has the potential to seriously affect business? I don't think so. Even if a TNA talent had made those comments, let alone WWE, there would have been a media shit storm and a release. I don't think WWE will risk the negative publicity of signing Jay Briscoe. The Be A Star campaign, alone, is enough to make that signing completely unlikely.

I'm willing to be proved wrong and maybe I will be. However, a quick e-mail from anyone to ANY major media outlet after the signing would unleash a shit storm on the WWE. The major media may not be plugged into the wrestling world and it may slip under their radar for a short time. However, with the anti-bullying campaigns and same sex marriage being a very timely, topical debate you can be assured that if they heard ANY major company (wrestling or otherwise) hiring somebody who made those comments they would be all over that shit.

You can go "it's only a social media comment" but, in this day and age, if you work or want to work in the public eye then, for your own sake, you should watch what you fucking say. Especially if you want any major organisation to even consider signing you.

Are the Briscoe Brothers talented? Yeah, they are. Are they talented for the WWE to risk a media shit storm? I have sincere doubts about that to be honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back