WCW: Boston Sub-Regional

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
Don't feel too comfortable looking ahead, discuss the Boston Sub Regional of the WCW Region headlined by John Cena.

The First Three Rounds Take Place In: Boston, MA
4. John Cena
61. "The American Dragon" Brian Danielson

29. Verne Gagne
36. "Big Stevie Cool" Stevie Richars

13. Goldberg
52. Claudio Castagnoli

20. "The Franchise" Shane Douglas
45. Paul London

5. "The Crippler" Chris Benoit
60. Ludvig Borga

28. Mr. Kennedy
37. Mike "The Miz" Mizanin

12. "Big Sexy" Kevin Nash
53. "Black Machismo" Jay Lethal

21. "The King of Old School" Steve Corino
44. "The Gladiator" Mike Awesome

Round 2:
Round 2 Matchups.
#4. John Cena vs. #29 Verne Gagne
13. Goldberg vs. 20. "The Franchise" Shane Douglas

5. Chris Benoit vs. 28. Mr. Kennedy
12. Kevin Nash vs. 44. Mike Awesome

Right here is by far the most interesting of the sub regions so far. Nash at his best was just as good as any big man. That powerbomb is flat out lethal if he gets you in it, and he could certainly do that. Benoit's submissions and ruthlessness have been discussed to no end. We know what he can do when he gets motivated to do it. Cena is the X factor here, as when he's on his game he's as good if not better than either of these two. I could see any of these three winning. Not sure who I'll go with here.

Thouh I think that John has a bit of an edge here, another Canadian has taken him out in his hometown before. Chris Benoit, through out the past, has that chance now. If Cena thinks he can use the STF to take out Benoit, he hasn't felt the snapping pain of the Crossface. Though Cena would disabled Nash's legs easily with it. Benoit would pick Nash apart, like a chicken if they fought each other. Nash will need some backstage help with this, or needs that chance to hit the big bomb to get a win against these guys.

This is a really tough one. Kevin Nash being the underdog just reall shows how this region is the best so far and the most intresting. John Cena is probably the favourite here. He is WWE's biggest wrestler right now and has had the longest reign of the WWE title in the last 20 years. Chris Benoit showed us in the late 90's what he could do and when he jumped to WWE he got the WHC and was one of the top faces. Kevin Nash was a force to watch out for in the early and somewhat late 90's. He hasn't done much since then tho. I expect a Cena win here.

When John Cena is on his game he is nearly impossible to beat..that is a fact. He's proven time and time again he can beat technically sound wrestlers like HBK and HHH and Edge and Orton, and that he can beat guys bigger than him like Khali and UmaNga. Cena seems to thrive in the big match envirnment and when his back is up against the wall. He is an F U...not Attitude Adjuster, away from a victory. Him and Benoit could be a controversially filled encounter with posters for obvious reasons. I just cant see Benoit finishing of Cena in the big match envirnment. For much of his career, Benoit was a mid to upper level carder where as Cena has been Main Eventing for quite a few years bnow. When the pressure is on I'll take John Cena in this sub region.

Alright, I'm just going to assume that Cena makes finals, so I'm more concerned with who he would face.

Benoit vs Nash is likely going to happen. When it does, I agree that it would be a close matchup of power vs technical prowess. Benoit could pick Nash apart at his best, but I would never count out that powerbomb. If he hits that on Benoit, with the history of the bad back and neck, it is over. I'd coin flip here.

Now, assuming Benoit wins, I see a close matchup with Cena. I'd have to really think about this one before deciding. Assuming Nash wins, I'd have to go with Cena. Cena, especially in his hometown, would somehow kick out of the powerbomb. I can't say Nash would kick out of the FU/A2, or escape the STF. Cena wins if that is the case.

Most likely this will go down to Cena v. Benoit and I will have to take Benoit slightly. Most won't vote for Benoit because of what he did and that's a shame. The main reason I take Benoit is the endurance factor. Benoit was always well conditioned and depending on the wrestlers they face I believe Benoit can endure longer than Cena. If it's a gimmick match, it's very close. Cena and Benoit have both won TLC matches and they can both go in an Iron Man Match but for now I'm still taking Benoit.

This region is WIDE open. Cena never wrestled in WCW; both NAsh and Benoit thrived there. Also, Cena doesn't always find home turf to be advantageous. (Summerslam 2006) Cena could very well be upset by Benoit OR Nash. This may very well be decided by the earlier matches in the tournament.

Interesting. Very interesting indeed. I'm in agreement with popular consensus that Nash is the quote-unquote "underdog". He was arguably better in WCW as Big Sexy, than he was as Big Daddy Cool in WWE. If fans of the Wolfpac and nWo come out and support him, he could pull off a surprise upset of Cena, and could beat a superb technical wrestler like Benoit. He won't go out early, but he may not make it far.

Cena is the only one facing a crowd he's never faced before, and that could work against him, whether it's his hometown or not. He's built for great matches with Nash or Benoit. I think he'd beat Nash, and then coast through the gimmick matches, but I don't think he'd have it so easy against Benoit in his prime. If he tries to lock in the STFU, it only makes it easier for the rabid wolverine to slip him into the Crossface. If he were smart, he'd stay out of arm's reach from Benoit, but find a way to muscle past him.

Benoit is my choice for this bracket, so far. If he gets a bad match-up early, he could be done before he faces Nash or Cena. If he faces Nash, he's at a distinct disadvantage in size and strength, so it'll come down to ring savvy. Benoit wins in a landslide that could wipe out Asia. The crossface may not be a factor, but he could just as easily pull off the Texas Cloverleaf or the Sharpshooter for a tapout, or he could simply out-wrestle him, and win it with the headbutt. A match-up with Cena is tougher. In his prime, he can out-wrestle Cena, but he won't out-brawl him, and doesn't want to keep a fast paced match going. He'd have to work in some "rest" moves, and wear Cena down just enough to lock on the crossface in the center of the ring.

Everyone knows Cena would go over Benoit, as hard as the Benoit marks campaign it looks like he's going to be hitting the showers early. He has v. little chance of getting through Cena, and Nash is pretty much a coin toss for him. Then with Taker, Yokozuna, Funk, Hogan, and Sting. I would say Benoit has zero chance of making it even past the last 8 of the WCW region.

I'm gonna stand by my belief that Benoit should come out on top here, especially over Nash...
Against Cena, it'll be much tougher.
But looking at the rest of the WCW region, I agree that he won't get very far...

Benoit and Cena both have a good chance of winning this, depending on who votes. I want Benoit to come through here, I've always enjoyed his work, a lot more than I do Cena's. It depends on who will be voting. Will there be a lot of Cena haters on the boards during this match? Or will "Benoit is a murderer" be more prevalent? Cena's fan base has increased rapidly, but there is still a huge number of people who hate Benoit.

Benoit and Cena both have a good chance of winning this, depending on who votes. I want Benoit to come through here, I've always enjoyed his work, a lot more than I do Cena's. It depends on who will be voting. Will there be a lot of Cena haters on the boards during this match? Or will "Benoit is a murderer" be more prevalent? Cena's fan base has increased rapidly, but there is still a huge number of people who hate Benoit.

Cena is a better wrestler, a bigger draw, and just as versitile as Benoit. Cena should go over Benoit. Benoit can be creditied by one of the few people able to get over at all with no charisma,or mic skills, based almost soley on his wrestling. However while he had some great matches, I feel Cena has already exceeded him for great matches, and feuds. Cena's matches with HBK alone top anything Benoit ever did.

Cena is a better wrestler, a bigger draw, and just as versitile as Benoit. Cena should go over Benoit. Benoit can be creditied by one of the few people able to get over at all with no charisma,or mic skills, based almost soley on his wrestling. However while he had some great matches, I feel Cena has already exceeded him for great matches, and feuds. Cena's matches with HBK alone top anything Benoit ever did.

But Cena is so boring. I'm not voting on "Well I looked at my table of biggest draws in a certain period and saw that John Cena outdrew Benoit at *insert dates here*". Cena has Slyfox for that. I'm voting on who I find more entertaining and who I want to win this tournament. In that way, Benoit > Cena. And that's the only way I care about.

Kudos for using HBK though.

But Cena is so boring. I'm not voting on "Well I looked at my table of biggest draws in a certain period and saw that John Cena outdrew Benoit at *insert dates here*". Cena has Slyfox for that. I'm voting on who I find more entertaining and who I want to win this tournament. In that way, Benoit > Cena. And that's the only way I care about.

Kudos for using HBK though.

So Cena/HBK, Cena/Edge, and Cena/Jericho was boring to you?

They were all great feuds and greatly entertaining, and all drew. Why that is important is because while your more than entitled to your preferences on what you find entertaining. The fact that the majority of people find Cena entertaining, should be a major factor in your decision of who is more entertaining, if that is the most important thing to base your vote on. Personally I believe there are other things that need to be looked at other than how entertaining a wrestler is, however I feel that Cena is not only more entertaining, and has had better matches in his career than Benoit ever had - but is an all round better wrestler.

So Cena/HBK, Cena/Edge, and Cena/Jericho was boring to you?

Cena/HBK and Cena/Jericho weren't. But you missed out one of Cena's best matches/feuds which was shockingly with Batista. Cena has had some great ones yeah, but in general I'd prefer to watch a Benoit match.

They were all great feuds and greatly entertaining, and all drew. Why that is important is because while your more than entitled to your preferences on what you find entertaining. The fact that the majority of people find Cena entertaining, should be a major factor in your decision of who is more entertaining, if that is the most important thing to base your vote on.

I don't want to make my vote on what everyone else thinks. If that's how the tournament works we may as well just give the tournament to Cena/Austin/Hogan. There are supposed to be upsets, people are supposed to vote on who they want to win.

Personally I believe there are other things that need to be looked at other than how entertaining a wrestler is, however I feel that Cena is not only more entertaining, and has had better matches in his career than Benoit ever had - but is an all round better wrestler.

You can vote for Cena then :).

I can name at least five Benoit matches that were at least better than HBK/Cena. Benoit v. Angle twice, Benoit v. Austin, and the Triple Threat Match at WM 20 for starters. If Benoit didn't do what he did, I guarantee he would go over Cena here. I don't find Cena's matches to be boring, but I think he will fall to the Crippler Crossface even though he's never submitted.

Well the fact that 'Benoit is a murderer so I am not going to vote for him' is against the rules makes me think that this one is Benoits.

Whilst I respect Cena and his work for WWE, I just don't like him, sorry guys. Being WCW would go against him in this round, Benoit and Nash were WCW for a while.

Nash could be a dark horse here, he's a big man, but a good big man in hs prime, as is always the case, I hope people vote for wrestlers in their prime, and not what they're like now.

Close call this one.

Becca, this isn't supposed to be about who is more interesting. This is, or so I've believed, who would win in a match. While Benoit was a great wrestler and I loved his work, he's not going to beat John Cena. Have you ever seen John Cena tap out? I'm sure he has, but I can't remember. Benoit could have him in the crossface all that he wants, but John Cena will not tap out. The same could be said for Benoit and the STF. But, Benoit would not kick out of the Attitude Adjuster. No one gets up after that.

I can name at least five Benoit matches that were at least better than HBK/Cena. Benoit v. Angle twice, Benoit v. Austin, and the Triple Threat Match at WM 20 for starters. If Benoit didn't do what he did, I guarantee he would go over Cena here. I don't find Cena's matches to be boring, but I think he will fall to the Crippler Crossface even though he's never submitted.

Benoit/Angle- Mid card feud, little hype, a few good spots, none of there matches were classics though. And they all lacked the excitement, and none of them are as memorable, or go down as historic like Cena/HBK did.

Benoit/Austin- This was a good match but it's still not as good or as memorable as Cena/HBK. Austin does most of the connecting with the fans, while Benoit sells well but doesn't do anything spectacular to impress. And once again the match isnt that memorable or historic.

That Triple Threat match is the jewel in Benoit's entire career while Cena can say he had countless matches on this level, Benoit only really has match which was anywhere near as historic or epic as the many Cena has had. The match had great build up and delivered, and was made historical because of Benoit finally reaching the top. However if I'm comparing this to Cena/HBK, I choose Cena/HBK any day of the week. Their matches are true wrestling masterclasses, they work so well together. To wrestle a singles match for an hour on multiple occasions, and have the crowd enthrawled with every second takes a special skill which Benoit and 95% of wrestlers don't have.

Besides as has already been mentioned, Benoit would never ever go over Cena in any circumstances. Cena has made a career adapting to every opponent he has met regardless of style. Angle, Edge, HBK, Jericho, Batista, HHH he survived them all. Cena came out on top over all of them, how is Benoit any different?

Benoit/Angle- Mid card feud, little hype, a few good spots, none of there matches were classics though. And they all lacked the excitement, and none of them are as memorable, or go down as historic like Cena/HBK did.

Benoit/Austin- This was a good match but it's still not as good or as memorable as Cena/HBK. Austin does most of the connecting with the fans, while Benoit sells well but doesn't do anything spectacular to impress. And once again the match isnt that memorable or historic.

That Triple Threat match is the jewel in Benoit's entire career while Cena can say he had countless matches on this level, Benoit only really has match which was anywhere near as historic or epic as the many Cena has had. The match had great build up and delivered, and was made historical because of Benoit finally reaching the top. However if I'm comparing this to Cena/HBK, I choose Cena/HBK any day of the week. Their matches are true wrestling masterclasses, they work so well together. To wrestle a singles match for an hour on multiple occasions, and have the crowd enthrawled with every second takes a special skill which Benoit and 95% of wrestlers don't have.

Besides as has already been mentioned, Benoit would never ever go over Cena in any circumstances. Cena has made a career adapting to every opponent he has met regardless of style. Angle, Edge, HBK, Jericho, Batista, HHH he survived them all. Cena came out on top over all of them, how is Benoit any different?

So are you saying that if matches aren't memorable or historic, they're not great. If so that's an illogical way of thinking. The Benoit/Angle feud was for the WWE Title and involved two great wreslters who put on extraordinary matches. Thank Randy Orton for that HBK/Cena match or that match would have never happened.

You say Cena can adapt to every opponent....So can Jericho, Edge, HHH, Taker, and countless others. Benoit has the endurance to go with anybody for long periods of time like Cena and has two submission finishers in his arsenal so Benoit can hang with anybody regardless of style and size.

One of the most interesting brackets just got more interesting. Goldberg was nothing short of a god in his heyday. The STFU is absolutely worthless here. All of a sudden Cena is in real trouble. Goldberg may be almost a joke now, but when he hit his stride he was tough to stop. Cena can take a lot, but I don't think he can take a spear and jackhammer, at least not in WCW. I'll go with Goldberg here in an upset.

Benoit went from being my favorite here, to being my darkhorse.

Goldbverg is a monster addition, and can take anything Cena can dish out. I don't think Cena can take a Goldberg Spear. It's nothing like Edge's. There's so much added force, and it just drives you into the mat. The Jackhammer is just icing on the cake. If this were WWE, then maybe Cena gets the close call win, but this is the company that made Goldberg the beast he is.

Goldberg is my favorite, while Cena moves up to my 2nd choice. He should lose, but if he wins, I can't argue him beating Goldberg, but not Benoit.

If this was in a WWE ring I would pick Cena, but since it isn't, I will have to go with Goldberg, This would be a new environment for Cena even behind the hometown folks. Cena could win because of his never die attitude but I think Goldberg would be a little too much. I wouldn't call Cena losing an upset, he would lose because Goldberg was damn near unstoppable inside a WCW ring. Goldberg wins, but by a close margin.

John Cena has never backed down from a challenge, and has usually come out on top every tough match he's ever had. Goldberg, during his prime and without the "real life" stories, was everything you'd want in an unstoppable monster.

Goldberg's matches didn't last very long, at all, and that's normally because regardless who he faced.. he had the shear raw power to end the match quickly. Never thought a mere suplex could be used as effectively as Bill used it, but it was.

I think John Cena will still overcome the power of Goldberg. I mean, Cena's overcame the power of Big Show, and the Great Khali. And if you decide to use the "thinking" ability Goldberg used, well Cena's also defeated Triple H., which more than doubles any "thought" Goldberg ever had.

Chris Benoit is out of his league. He can out wrestle Goldberg, but can't handle the power difference. Meanwhile, he can out wrestle Cena, but likely would fall to the crowd and overall environment.

Finally, Kevin Nash is surely fucked. He's tall, not very fast, and his power will be matched. He's, if anything, a jobber right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back