Verne Gagne vs. Stevie Richards

• Old School

• Stevie Cool

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
The following match takes place in the WCW Region under WCW Rules in Boston, MA. The ring and the entrance ramp are the same height.

#29 Verne Gagne
verne-gagne.jpg

vs.

#36 "Big Stevie Cool" Stevie Richards
sr.jpg

Gagne all the way. Richards never really accomplished anything other than being with the hottest diva of all time in Victoria. This simply isn't anything with Gagne being a legitimate bad ass that would destroy Stevie all the way here. One sided and all I'm wondering is why is Gagne so low seeded?

Most people know nothing about Gange. I won't speak his praises here, as I'm sure Gelgarin or Tdigle will. But, I will tell you that Stevie Richards is shit and doesn't deserve such high seeding. He's lucky to even be in the tournament. Like klunder said, he did absolutely nothing. All I remember of him is running around with The Blue Meanie and getting squashed by everyone. Gange in a walk.

Richards is in this tournament as a joke, ahead of more deserving people such as Drew Carey. Ok, that bit I lied about. He has no chance here though. I remember Richards as the weak link of RTC, yep weaker than Ivory. Gagne will plough through him into the next round. Sorry Lee.

Stevie snuck into this tournament through the back door, and I can't see how he will win this. Gagne was a big time player in the 50s and 60s and was an excellent submission artist. The only thing that works in Stevie's favour is that he is about the same size as Jericho, Stevie's singular big name win, and that most of his victories were against bigger opponents, where Stevie is smaller than him.

That being said, it simply has to be Gagne all the way here. I only hope his recent homicide offence doesn't play against him in a Benoit-effect.

Gagne was a great submission wrestler and he will make quick work of Richards in this one. Richards was okay but Gagne was better.

richardsecw.jpg

At least have a picture of Stevie, rather than a tripod logo. If ever there's a wrestler I have the upmost respect for it's Stevie Richards, he has busted his ass off with little to no recognition, even after a broken neck (something Austin didn't really manage) and to do what? His job, he's versatile in that he can be a great heel or a great face, he's hilarious or very serious, just want you need in a wrestler, his ring work was brilliant in his prime, but he still pushes through. Even last year he suffered a collapsed lung and was wrestling within a week.

A swift Stevie kick will give him what I feel will be his only vote in this match.

This may end up as a bigger squash than Cena v. Danielson. I liked Stevie as a member of Raven's posse in ECW, and I didn't think he was half-bad as a member of the bWo. But, there's no denying that he isn't a tenth of what Gagne was. This will be ugly, and with any luck for Stevie's already broken body, it'll be quick.

He's had his face shattered at the hands of Chris Masters, and Gagne would make Masters look like a jobber. I'm not sure what he would use to win, but the Stevie Kick won't even have a chance.

I'm really not fond of Gagne at all here, on the other hand I loved Stevie Richards especially in RTC. However, I'm not sure as to whether Richards would be able to go over him here. Neither are great, before anyone tries telling me they are. I'm tempted to vote for Richards just because I'm sure he won't get as much credit as he deserves. Meh, someone persuade me.

I'm really not fond of Gagne at all here, on the other hand I loved Stevie Richards especially in RTC. However, I'm not sure as to whether Richards would be able to go over him here. Neither are great, before anyone tries telling me they are. I'm tempted to vote for Richards just because I'm sure he won't get as much credit as he deserves. Meh, someone persuade me.

Obviously I agree with you that Richards is one under rated guy, people remember him for getting (another) neck injury during RTC and essentially becoming a jobber for life, but that was not his peak. Plus Becca, his finisher is an homage to your boyo ;)

:zzzz:

I can at least rest comfortably that I won't have to go on my Anti-Gagne and anti-AWA rant until next round when it is needed. I despise Verne Gagne and his disillusionment of what he thinks and thought the business should be, yet decided to keep a world title belt around his waste as long as possible, but he has no problems with Stevie Richards.

Stevie WAS an amazing talent. I remember watching the guy breakout in ECW in 1997. He put on hellacious showings, particularly at Barely Legal??? I believe it was. He came from obscurity in Raven's Flock to be the leader of the BWO in one of the greatest parody roles of all time. The problem with Richards, he jumped to WCW as soon as Raven went. Richard's should have stayed in the land of extreme, carved a name for himself as someone besides the guy that holds Raven's drinks, and then entertain offers from WCW. Instead, Richards left prematurely, got injured which ended any talks of him being "The Next Shawn Michaels", and fell back to obscurity, which is stayed in the rest of his career. Outside of being the mouthpiece of RTC, he has been irrelevant this decade.

Wake me up when this one is over. Gagne in a mondo squash and snoozefest. Like KB said the only thing Stevie has for him is that he was with Victoria. Gagne no doubt about it.

Gagne wins this because at one stage he was one of the best in the business, the only problem is that he booked himself as champion for as long as he did. Stevie would have been great at one stage but Gagne was a world champ so it is fairly easy to see the difference. Combine in the fact that Gagne would be at home in the old school region that is WCW.

Hmm, great arguments put forth here, and if Lee reminds me to vote later, Ill hold off on this one.

Gagne gets a lot of credits for dominating AWA, but it doesn't hurt when you write the thing. Stevie actually had to build himself up through ECW, and pull through the horrible injuries in the big boy promotions.

I actually also enjoyed Right To Censor, more than I enjoyed anything from Verne. I am left open here.

I love Stevie Richards, but I am unfortunately going to have to go with Verne Gagne. When in WCW, Stevie Richards was nothing more than a jobber. And, given the respect people have for Gagne, if he had been in WCW during this time (and in his prime), I'm pretty sure Stevie Richards would have been the one and only piece of meat that they would have thrown to Gagne before subsequently jobbing him out to one of The Outsiders (then, he probably would have thrown a fit and left the company).

I can't wait until Gagne faces someone that, kayfabe, has an ounce of credibility, so he can get trounced in an e-squash match. This man was nothing but boring, and someone needs to take him out Ultimate Warrior style. I wish Stevie would have become a credible mid-carder, but, alas, he never amounted to anything more than a ham-and-egger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back