WWE Money In The Bank 2013 - General Discussion & Aftermath

I fear Bryan will be stuck in a feud with Axel though and that Vince doesn't have the trust in him as a top tier guy

I had put that fear out of my head until last night. Now it's back with a vengeance and will continue until I see how Raw goes this evening. As long as Bryan doesn't enter a feud with Axel all will be fine. But if that's what tonight's show sets up, it clearly means (to me at least) that Vince/HHH/WWE have shut down Daniel's push.

Fingers crossed that that doesn't happen tonight.

Let me do a little review on this year's MITB PPV:

Blue MITB Ladder Match - Exciting, past paced and a lot of good spots. This is how a MITB match should be. The unique thing about this match aside from all of them being heels is there are alliances. Colter's faction, Rhodes Scholars, The Shield and even The Usos made it more chaotic. Fans were chanting "This is awesome" all throughout. Easily the match of the night.

The Miz vs. Curtis Axel - Easily predictable. Curtis Axel needs a clean win over someone like Miz to further establish himself. Average performance.

Diva's Championship Match - Kaitlyn playing the "injury angle" on this match. Pretty descent match though.

Jericho vs. (C)Ryback - One of the filler matches. I didn't expect Cryback to win in that fashion. Jericho seems to be the stepping stone for everyone lately since his return. Almost an average-rated match.

World Heavyweight Championship Match - Great applause from the crowd for Ziggler. But once again, Ziggler was held back for his world title opportunity maybe to prolong this feud until Summerslam. Above-average performance for the two.

Mark Henry vs. John Cena - Typical Cena match, gets beat up about 3/4 of the matchup then wins. Zzzzz.. When Cena hooked that STF I already went out to pee because I knew that time, Henry will be fed to super Cena. 0/10

All-Stars MITB - the exact opposite of the earlier match. Slow paced, frustrating, most of the time sloppy, and a couple of botched moves. RVD is not what he used to be. It looked like he aged a lot. Look at how Christian swing that small ladder. Seems like lazy, not giving any effort to it. It looked like these "all stars" didn't prepare for this event as they should have. They became too complacent just because of all the big names involved on this matchup. Below-average performance.

I loved the MITB show, best of the year IMO.

The opener was arguably the MOTN, just some fantastic work from hungry young athletes. Ambrose was out of his damn mind and we saw the first flourishes of a face Cody. Sandow's win was dastardly as it should be, he let everyone else do the work and then stole the victory. I knew a Rhodes/Sandow feud was brewing but I didn't expect them to do it with the briefcase in the middle.

Axel vs Miz was a decent match and I liked the Figure 4 spot. Axel winning clean with Heyman banished from ringside was the way to go.

AJ vs Kaitlyn was good, it's difficult working as a heel against someone so much bigger and limited, but AJ's a very clever worker and carried the match. The finish would make even Bret Hart smile.

Y2J got arguably the best match so far out of Ryback, I see people complaining about the finish but surely by now it's clear they aren't booking him as a monster, they are subverting the natural character a guy like Ryback would use.

Dolph in that vest? It takes balls of steel! High quality match between the two, huge support for Ziggler and the ending with AJ makes sense.

Cena vs Henry was solid, they even got a couple of false finishes in that caught the crowd.

The WWE title MITB Ladder match was very good but more stagy than the WHC version, it was clear that each guy got sections of the match as opposed to mixing it up. Bryan had the hottest offense, RVD looked a bit labored going through his signature spots, Sheamus took the nastiest bumps and there were some great exchanges between Punk and Orton and Punk and Sheamus...The way the crowd erupted when Punk and Bryan squared off was awesome.

As for the finish, I knew there'd be anger amongst the IWC but I thought it worked. Bryan is gonna face Cena anyway and got screwed. Heyman turned on Punk and it will kick the angle with Lesnar into a higher gear, and the RKO off the ladder looked great. Orton winning adds another name into the title mix and preps the chance for a heel turn, plus Orton has been excellent the last 2 months.

All in all great stuff!

Money In The Bank Hits and Misses:

The Usos vs. The Shield: Surprise number one of the night, not for the result, but for the length and the quality of the match. The crowd was red-hot both in Philly and at the sports bar I was watching at for this match, and while the 60 second ad placements were annoying, this was easily the best pre-show match WWE has put on. It's a shame the Usos haven't been taken seriously for so long, or else the already convincing nearfalls down the stretch would have been even more-so convincing. The spear works as a finisher for Reigns due to his size and the genuine impact he hits it with, and the last five minutes of this were outstanding. ***

World Heavyweight Championship MITB match: Want a way to make two stars and pull out a genuine surprise? Look no further. The surprise is Sandow winning, although there has been some foreshadowing, I suppose, with the talk on TV of there being tension in the Rhodes Scholars. Cody was the other star, both countering finishers into multiple CrossRhodes, but the visual of him climbing, with his face bloody, showing the impact of the match. Everyone in this match was impressive, and while I'm surprised they went away from Ambrose winning with Shield help, and Sandow is a riskier proposition. But Rhodes vs Sandow could be a good feud, and if built well, I believe Sandow has the goods to be a World Champion. Exciting match, well-executed by all involved. ***3/4.

AJ Lee vs. Kaitlyn: I still don't understand the other Divas reportedly not wanting to work with AJ, as she can make seemingly anyone look good in the ring. Further, a heel champion retains their title clean, and the smaller of the pairing at that. No fluke, no mistake by Kaitlyn, AJ simply outwrestled her, smartly worked the arm, and won with a submission move. Kaitlyn looks strong for holding on as long as she did, but AJ looked absolutely maniacal in applying it. Not as strong as their Payback match, but still a good effort that built well after a slow beginning. **

Dolph Ziggler vs. Alberto Del Rio: Another match that picked up as it went along, and showed that you don't need a finishing maneuver to get a strong, believable near-fall. The ending of the match was absolutely terrible, and perhaps AJ can clear that up with a promo tonight. But prior to that, the ring-work between the two men was outstanding, with both men clicking in their new roles. Ziggler isn't the 'slapping hands' babyface, thank goodness, and Del Rio is a solid heel who can wrestle. He just can't win cleanly, once again. Ziggler kicking out of the same superkick that beat him last month was great, in particular, and this match could have gone another 5-10 minutes without overstaying its welcome, but perhaps it didn't because of the bad finish. Hopefully, this isn't the end of the feud, as the better course would have been to give Del Rio a clean win if they wanted to move on. ***1/4.

Mark Henry vs. John Cena:Cena continues to improve his arsenal, this time, using a tilt-a-whirl DDT on Mark Henry. Anyways, as he has strongly been hinting at, if this was Mark Henry's swan song, it was a great way to go. He looked like a monster by rag-dolling Cena around, and it was only Cena taking advantage of his speed rather then overpowering Henry that allowed him to pick up the win. Again, strong near-falls from both men, and another match that could have gone longer and still been well-received. I disliked Henry tapping so quickly when Cena re-applied the STF, but that's only a minor complaint here. Both championship matches delivered, with this being the better of the two. ***3/4.

WWE Championship MITB ladder match: I'm fine with Orton winning, because Cena stilll needs a challenger for Summerslam, and with the way he's been beating people cleanly, Daniel Bryan is the logical choice, contract or no. My only hope is that he isn't dropped into a feud with Curtis Axel for interfering, and if so, it's for Bryan to beat him on Raw and move on.

The storytelling in this match was stronger then the one in the first MITB match, while the pacing was slower. It was a little ridiculous for the match to break down for many parts into one-on-one contests, but the last ten minutes were outstanding. Heyman turning on Punk, however predictable, was the right move, and RVD got an insane pop and hit a big spot with the splash onto Christian. The two moves that lead to the ending, Sheamus going through the ladder, and Orton RKO'ing RVD, were outstanding, and this opens some great possibilities for the Randy Orton character should he hold the briefcase for some time. Just a step below the WHC ladder match, but a satisfying main event. ***1/2.

Overall Show: With two strong ladder matches, two mostly strong World Title matches and nothing truly awful, other then the Maddox/Vickie segment, this was a good PPV. Sandow is a curious choice to win the MITB briefcase, but I'll take a 'wait and see' approach. Cody Rhodes was an absolute star in the match itself. Randy Orton isn't the wrong call to win the WWE Championship ladder match, as he's put plenty of people over and this could revamp his character. Further, they haven't done Cena/Orton since 2009, so if they go that way, it won't be stale. Ziggler and Del Rio, outside of the ending and being slightly too short, was very good, while Henry and Cena had an outstanding WWE Championship match. It's a great way to go out if that's the direction he chooses. The pre-show match was a very good tag match, and AJ/Kaitlyn had another strong effort. Neither Ryback/Jericho or Axel/Miz were terrible, per se, but there was nothing that good about them either. Overall, a good show. B.

Money In The Bank Misses:​

Brad Maddox segment: Save it for Raw. Seriously, who thought this was a good idea for PPV, especially for over ten minutes? That time couldn't have been better used adding to the Cena/Henry or Ziggler/Del Rio matches? Worse, it's embarrassing Vickie Guerrero once again, which while I'm sure she's a good sport about and agrees with, it's simply wrong. And I like and think the Brad Maddox character is a good one.

The Miz vs. Curtis Axel: I suppose having Heyman kicked out early was the right move, as the crowd was behind him, and therefore, Axel, but the match was nothing outside of that. Miz looked heelish in having Heyman kicked for doing nothing, and while it was nice to see Axel win clean w the faceplant neckbreaker, it was a boring match. *1/2.

Chris Jericho vs. Ryback:Some may have liked the match, but it wasn't for me. Part of it is I've been conditioned so much to not care about Ryback, and the other is in how he won the match. He's a monster, yet he wins with a roll-up? It's a bad finish to a match where I'm sure Jericho would have put him over far stronger had he been booked to. Good in spots, bad in spots, and a bad finish equal a miss. **1/4.

So Ryback finally wins a ppv match and he ends up getting a fluky win on a much smaller opponent. Amazing what has happened to Ryback. He was so over during the lead up to HIAC last year. His heel run has been very disappointing. Only Ryder has fallen harder.

I thought it was a good PPV. The two ladder matches were brilliant with winners I wasn't predicting. The pre-show match was incredible. Shame it wasn't on the actual card because it was very good. Ryback/Jericho had a stupid ending. Ryback needs to look strong and they didn't deliver. The match itself was average. Axel/Miz was solid but could have been better, these two are capable of putting on very good matches so I was slightly disappointed.

AJ/Kaitlyn wasn't as good as the first match but still good compared to womens matches of recent years. Del Rio/Ziggler was a great match with a unique finish. These two have good chemistry. Henry/Cena was as expected.

Overall, there were some good matches mixed in with some very enjoyable matches. It delivered surprises, incredible spots, progression of stortylines and just general entertainment. I was very pleased overall. B

I liked the ppv. I had a few issues, but it was a good overall ppv.

Problem 1:
The Usos vs the Shield was more than good enough. Why wasn't it on the main event. It deserved to be and so did these four competitors.

Problem 2:
I know they had to include Orton, Bryan, Sheamus, Punk, RVD, Christian on the ppv. My problem is I associate the MITB with people who aren't already in the main event but becoming main event worthy. I would have preferred Bryan, RVD or Christian win but I have to admit Orton has been pretty solid since his return, so I can live with his winning it-barley.

I liked the Smackdown MITB match the most from the ppv. Most of the guys in that match were never in the main event picture (it had Swagger who won it before), but it elevated a performer who was good but looking to be raised to the main event. I was thinking it would be Ambrose but am glad it was Sandow. He'll be an interesting champion if he is successful.

Henry and Cena was ok,
Jericho vs Ryback was ok Ryback needed a win but it needed a more impactful ending.
AJ vs Kaitlyn was good although AJ really is the story of the division right now.
Del Rio vs Ziggler was very good, wanted to see Ziggler win but the ending was tolerable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back