Bullshit About Movies, Release Dates, and Box Office (PLEASE READ FIRST POST)

I meant that I didn't read anything else, and felt like boosting my post count. I do that from time to time.

Sweden is where the true horror gems are. They're so good, you barely know they're horror.

As far as REC is concerned, I'm not sure if it's better. I hear it has a better story, but that it also gives too much away. In Quarantine, they show news articles about what happened, but don't actually let the tape play, telling you everything,

I'm still going to see it, just because I'm a movie geek like that, but don't have any hopes or dreams for it.

[Rec] is FAR superior to Quarantine NSL, far. I've seen both and I like both but Quarantine isn't even half as creepy as [Rec] is, I highly recommend you watch it. Easily better than Quarantine, and whoever told you that it "gives too much away" doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about because it's actually the exact opposite, it's the American remake that explains everything at the end, not the other way around.

[Rec] is FAR superior to Quarantine NSL, far. I've seen both and I like both but Quarantine isn't even half as creepy as [Rec] is, I highly recommend you watch it. Easily better than Quarantine, and whoever told you that it "gives too much away" doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about because it's actually the exact opposite, it's the American remake that explains everything at the end, not the other way around.

The American remake doesn't play that tape they find in the attic. The Spanish one plays the whole tape, explaining the experiments, and why they're creating the disease. I liked the American version because it just hints at it, which makes it a bit creepier.

The American remake doesn't play that tape they find in the attic. The Spanish one plays the whole tape, explaining the experiments, and why they're creating the disease. I liked the American version because it just hints at it, which makes it a bit creepier.

Uhh, no. The American remake tells you exactly what happens NSL with the articles on the walls, the whole thing is apart of some doom cult that wants to bring about the Armageddon and are trying to start it with the virus.

Whereas in [Rec], the explanation they give for the virus is never fully confirmed and it's left for the viewer to decide whether the virus was man-made or truly was as a result of demonic possession.

Again, Rec > Quarantine, by far. You haven't even seen Rec so how can you even comment on this?

Uhh, no. The American remake tells you exactly what happens NSL with the articles on the walls, the whole thing is apart of some doom cult that wants to bring about the Armageddon and are trying to start it with the virus.

Whereas in [Rec], the explanation they give for the virus is never fully confirmed and it's left for the viewer to decide whether the virus was man-made or truly was as a result of demonic possession.

I'm just telling you what I've read/seen on numerous sites, and heard from a lot of people. Quarantine tells you with the articles, but nothing is ever said out loud "This is why we're making the virus". In the original, it states a reason, and the thought behind that reason is left to the viewer.

Again, Rec > Quarantine, by far. You haven't even seen Rec so how can you even comment on this?

I never said REC was good or bad. Just what I had heard, and looking for a recommendation. I'm going to watch it with an open mind. Something I won't be able to do for Let Me In...

I watched Punisher: War Zone last night, and thoroughly enjoyed watching it. As a movie, it was awful. There was little backstory, the script was maybe 5 pages long, and Punisher was more brutal than I think I ever remember him being. But, it was fun. I'll watch it again.

I just finished watching A Serious Man and I have to say, it was very good. In my opinion, it was one of the better movies of 2009 and probably my personal favorite Coen's brothers movie since The Big Lebowski. It had all the components of a true Coen's movie, lots of drama mixed with lots of black humor and it was done very well. It was comical in such a depressing way. Watching this mans life fall apart was intense yet funny because of how bad each event was from the last.

Michael Stuhlbarg was brilliant in the lead role. One of the finest male acting roles of the year and certainly worthy of the nomination he received. It makes me happy to see the Coens brothers back to doing what they are truly good at, especially considering I was not a huge fan of Burn After Reading. I think their brilliance really shines through when they make lesser mainstream films that doesn't have a star studded cast.

A Serious Man is worth a watch, though I can understand if one would not like it. I would give it a 9/10.

I'm in the mood for a semi-cheesy 80s horror film tonight; I'd greatly appreciate any recommendations. Obviously, not many horror films got wide theatrical releases in the 80s, so it doesn't have to be anything mainstream (e.g., the Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, and Halloween franchises). Also, if someone can recommend something in the vein of Fright Night or Night of the Creeps, there will be about two or three green reps in it for you if I haven't seen it already. If I have seen it already, but decide to watch it again, there will be one green rep coming your way.

I'm in the mood for a semi-cheesy 80s horror film tonight; I'd greatly appreciate any recommendations. Obviously, not many horror films got wide theatrical releases in the 80s, so it doesn't have to be anything mainstream (e.g., the Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, and Halloween franchises). Also, if someone can recommend something in the vein of Fright Night or Night of the Creeps, there will be about two or three green reps in it for you if I haven't seen it already. If I have seen it already, but decide to watch it again, there will be one green rep coming your way.

Similar to Night of the Creeps you say? Damnit TDigs you give me new reasons to love you every day. I absolutely love that movie, could watch it for the rest of my life and never get tired of it's cheesy awesomeness. It helps that Tom Atkins is the biggest bad ass motherfucker ever. I still sometimes answer the phone with "Thrill me!" because of that movie.

Anyways, let me think, cheesy 80s movies similar to Night of the Creeps. Here are some off the top of my head: Ghoulies (if you haven't seen it, do so immediately, fucking hilarious), Night of the Comet, The Monster Squad, Troll 1 or 2....hmmm....have you seen Night of the Demons? Of course you have, why am I even asking. I don't know man, I'd say any of the movies I just mentioned are good bets if you're looking for something similar to Night of the Creeps.

Also, random, but the first Tales From the Crypt film "Demon Knight" is another really fun cheesy horror flick, but that came out in the mid-90s. It's got the same kind of "humans vs. monsters in a house" kind of set up as the ending of Night of the Creeps though, fun flick.

Here is a list of the brand-new DVDs being released this upcoming February in America. I will do a follow up post tomorrow with my recommendations and a list of any older films and television shows that I think you should check out when they are released on DVD for the first time next month. If there are any particular films on here that you're buying or that you'd recommend another poster to buy or rent, don't hesitate to chime in (just remember to give reasons for your buying or a recommending a certain DVD)!

2 February 2010

Adam
Amelia
Black Dynamite
Love Happens
More Than a Game
New York, I Love You
The House of the Devil
Zombieland

9 February 2010

A Serious Man
Couples Retreat
Dare
Eleven Minutes
Free Style
Good Hair
Hurricane Season
I Hate Valentine's Day
Peter and Vandy
Serious Moonlight
The Song of Sparrows
The Step Father
The Time Traveler's Wife

16 February 2010

Coco Before Chanel
From Mexico with Love
Hunger
Law Abiding Citizen
Revanche
The Private Lives of Pippa Lee
Women in Trouble

23 February 2010

$9.99
Brief Interviews with Hideous Men
Crude
Dead Snow
Everybody's Fine
Examined Life
Motherhood
The Damned United
The Informant!
The September Issue
The Vicious Kind

Black Dynamite? Excellent. I really have to give that a rent.

I watched a fanmade movie called The Hero of Time the other day. It wasn't very good. I'll have to post my review in the review thread. Short version: Not very good, especially to a Zelda fan, but worth giving it a watch so you can cringe at fake British accents. Oh, and the awesome fight at the end.

2 February 2010
Black Dynamite
Zombieland

Picking these two up for sure. Definitely two of the funnest films released last year.

9 February 2010
A Serious Man

I might just pick this one up. I think the Coen Bros are two of the most overrated filmmakers of all time, but still... that doesn't keep me from checking their shit out and seeing if it ever lives up to the hype.

Absolutely cannot wait to pick this up. Been wanting to watch this since the trailer was released. It stars one of my favorite young actors in Zach Gilford, and just looks different than any "Teen Romance" ever released.

[YOUTUBE]iHJMuoKMu_s[/YOUTUBE]

23 February 2010
The Informant!

...And of course I'm getting this, as I do pretty much every Matt Damon film. The guy is simply one of the best actors alive.

Here is a list of the brand-new DVDs being released this upcoming February in America. I will do a follow up post tomorrow with my recommendations and a list of any older films and television shows that I think you should check out when they are released on DVD for the first time next month. If there are any particular films on here that you're buying or that you'd recommend another poster to buy or rent, don't hesitate to chime in (just remember to give reasons for your buying or a recommending a certain DVD)!

2 February 2010

Adam
Amelia
Black Dynamite
Love Happens
More Than a Game
New York, I Love You
The House of the Devil
Zombieland

9 February 2010

A Serious Man
Couples Retreat
Dare
Eleven Minutes
Free Style
Good Hair
Hurricane Season
I Hate Valentine's Day
Peter and Vandy
Serious Moonlight
The Song of Sparrows
The Step Father
The Time Traveler's Wife

16 February 2010

Coco Before Chanel
From Mexico with Love
Hunger
Law Abiding Citizen
Revanche
The Private Lives of Pippa Lee
Women in Trouble

23 February 2010

$9.99
Brief Interviews with Hideous Men
Crude
Dead Snow
Everybody's Fine
Examined Life
Motherhood
The Damned United
The Informant!
The September Issue
The Vicious Kind

tdigle Recommends

The House of the Devil - If you are a lover of horror films, there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't go and buy this film on the day it's released. Essentially, it's about a university student hard up for cash who takes a babysitting job on short notice; of course, she doesn't know that the family she's babysitting for happens to be part of a Satanic cult looking for some hot, young poon to serve up to the horned one. Besides starring the ridiculously awesome Tom Noonan (Manhunter FTW!) and some hottie playing the college hottie, this horror film has everything you could possibly ask for: effectively used gore; suspense out the yin-yang; a walkman; pizza; and The Fixx's "One Thing Leads To Another."

tdigle DOES NOT Recommend

Dead Snow - If you want to watch something from one of the Nordic countries, stick to Bergman. As this film so effectively proves, the peeps freezing their asses off in Northern Europe can't do comedy for shit. Furthermore, there's only minimal gore, nudity, and sex, so there's literally no point in watching this film, which, I think, is about rich-ass Norwegian med students spending a weekend skiing near a treasure hold guarded by Nazi zombies.

I finally got around to watching "Yes Man" the other day with Jim Carrey. If nobody knows what it's about, here's my brief explanation; He's a dude who always makes up excuses and doesnt really have a life, he says no to most anything, parties, going out, concerts, etc. He's divorced and his ex-wife is in another relationship but he can't get over her. He meets a old friend who tells him to go to this seminar/convention type deal where they tell you to say 'yes' to everything. It's a funny movie that has Jim's character saying yes to relations with his elderly neighbor, bungee jumping, a jogging photography class and such other wacky things. Jim Carrey never really fails to entertain me, and I found this movie pretty damn funny. On a side note, is Funny People any good?

Source: http://boxoffice.com/numbers/

1. Avatar - $30 Million / Total Gross: $594.472387 Million

2. Edge of Darkness - $17.12 Million / Total Gross: $17.12 Million

3. When In Rome - $12.065 Million / Total Gross: $12.065 Million

4. The Tooth Fairy - $10 Million / Total Gross: $26.106278 Million

5. The Book of Eli - $8.77 Million / Total Gross: $74.373 Million

6. Legion - $6.8 Million / Total Gross: $28.646 Million

7. The Lovely Bones - $4.735 Million / Total Gross: $38.014 Million

8. Sherlock Holmes - $4.51 Million / Total Gross: $197.596 Million

9. Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel - $4 Million / Total Gross: $209.297861 Million

10. It's Complicated - $3.7204 Million / Total Gross: $104.02722 Million

Comments

Well, it looks like Avatar is definitely on the way to beating Titanic's domestic haul; I'd give it about 2 or 3 more weeks. If this were 10 years ago, then Edge of Darkness would have almost surely knocked Avatar out of the American Box Office's top spot. Unfortunately, antisemitism, drunk driving, and aging have taken their toll on Mel Gibson's box office prowess (I'm pretty sure leaving his wife for a younger woman didn't help matters much, either). Also, I would like to briefly talk about When In Rome: some box office prognosticators see this as a strong opening for Kristen Bell's first romcom vehicle. Unlike them, I see it as people getting sick of watching films where the female protagonist's only problem is not being able to find true love (read: a rich, Adonis-like, great lay who can read her mind). If this were just three years ago, I think this film could have pulled in about $20 to $25 million during its opening weekend.

If this were 10 years ago, then Edge of Darkness would have almost surely knocked Avatar out of the American Box Office's top spot. Unfortunately, antisemitism, drunk driving, and aging have taken their toll on Mel Gibson's box office prowess (I'm pretty sure leaving his wife for a younger woman didn't help matters much, either). Also, I would like to briefly talk about When In Rome: some box office prognosticators see this as a strong opening for Kristen Bell's first romcom vehicle. Unlike them, I see it as people getting sick of watching films where the female protagonist's only problem is not being able to find true love (read: a rich, Adonis-like, great lay who can read her mind). If this were just three years ago, I think this film could have pulled in about $20 to $25 million during its opening weekend.

Lol... I think you're 100% correct in both instances. Well put.

Anyway, over the weekend I decided to finally watch The Matrix trilogy.

Now, I had saw the first Matrix film when it first came out, and liked it, but never saw it again. I always meant to check out the sequels, but just never got around to it for some reason. Well, about a year ago I think, lol, I came across a 2-DVD Set of all three movies, plus some animated shit I will never watch, for only $5. I decided to pick it up, but never got around to watching until this weekend. Why? Don't know, but I'm glad I did.... because the first Matrix is fucking AWESOME.

Like I said... I liked it back in the day, but I guess I was too young to completely understand the story. But man oh man, what a fucking movie. Blew me away. The sequels, however, did not. In fact, I thought they were terrible. Loving the first movie as much as I did, I'm really disappointed how the other two turned out. They're all action, with no substance, and as weird as it sounds, but also completely unrealistic. Sure, you can claim the first one is unrealistic as well, but at the same time... if you ask me, you can actually believe in the first one; you can't fucking believe in those sequels. They're just trash. Some good action scenes, no doubt, and Monica Bellucci was fine as hell as always, but outside of that... they were complete trash.

Regardless, still glad I was able to check out The Matrix again. Great, great, great movie.

I just got home from seeing Crazy Heart and goddamn is that a good movie. If Jeff Bridges does not win Best Male Actor at the Oscars I will seriously fucking riot. Bridges was so damn good in this movie. There was so much emotion in his performance that if you knew nothing about Bridges one may actually believe he is a country singer. Also, Robert Duvall and Colin Farrel both turned in very good performances as well. Duvall I expect that from but Farrel I did not know what to expect. Maggie Gylanhaal was also pretty good.

The acting was very good, the editing was top notch and the soundtrack was fantastic. As someone who does not listen to a lot of country this soundtrack was great. I actually just downloaded it on iTunes because I like it so much. Fantastic film and performance by Jeff Bridges, he really does deserve an Oscar for this role, hopefully the Academy agrees.

...And of course I'm getting this, as I do pretty much every Matt Damon film. The guy is simply one of the best actors alive.

I actually saw The Informant! in theaters. Damon did great, and it had its funny moments, but it was confusing as fuck for me. I'm not sure if I liked it.

Has anyone seen The Book of Eli? I just got home from seeing it and it may have been the best movie I've seen in a long time. Denzel Washington and Mila Kunis were both great and the plot had the perfect amount of action and twists. It kept me thinking and interested the whole time (which is saying a lot) and as soon as it was over, my girlfriend and I both turned to each other and said "that was great." I highly recommend it.

Um yea, so they are showing the commercial for the new Robin Hood movie, that I posted about so excitedly, and you cremudgions responded to with complete fucking indifference. I hate all of you. It looks epic.

SAY THINGS ABOUT THAT MOVIE RIGHT FUCKING NOW DAMMIT

SAY THINGS ABOUT THAT MOVIE RIGHT FUCKING NOW DAMMIT

It looks like a pretentious Russel Crowe/Ridley Scott film and it doesn't sound nowhere near as intresting as the original version they were rumoured to be doing. Robin Hood, bad guy, Sheriff Of Nottingham, just misunderstood.

If they're trying to not make it look exactly like Gladiator, they're doing a pretty poor job. And I never really enjoyed Gladiator in the first place. Never got the love for it. It's about as good as Kingdom of Heaven, which isn't a compliment.

Scott should just hurry up and make Blade Runner 2. It's twenty years later and aging ex-blade runner Rick Deckard thought that he could just retire quietly. Little did he know that his past was about to catch up with him. Cue Requiem for a Dream music. See, writing movies is easy.

I don't think robots age, Ridley should get back to work on another Alien film, Sci-Fi is his forte, anything else is not, 'specially if it's set in the olden days. Although his Alien film should be a sequel and not a prequel, how the fuck do you reboot a franchise with a prequel?

I don't think robots age,

They do if it turns out he was never a replicant in the first place. Which it does. Weird that.

Ridley should get back to work on another Alien film, Sci-Fi is his forte, anything else is not, 'specially if it's set in the olden days.

Fucking tell me about it.

Although his Alien film should be a sequel and not a prequel, how the fuck do you reboot a franchise with a prequel?

I suppose you could retcon everything. Apparently the film's focused on that whole "space jockey" shit from Alien - so it looks likely.

Source: http://boxoffice.com/numbers/

1. Dear John - $32.4 Million / Total Gross: $32.4 Million

2. Avatar - $23.6 Million / Total Gross: $630.093323 Million

3. From Paris with Love - $8.12 Million / Total Gross: $8.12 Million

4. Edge of Darkness - $7.005 Million / Total Gross: $29.097 Million

5. The Tooth Fairy - $6.5 Million / Total Gross: $34.332973 Million

6. When In Rome - $5.504 Million / Total Gross: $20.899 Million

7. The Book of Eli - $4.835 Million / Total Gross: $82.163 Million

8. Legion - $3.4 Million / Total Gross: $34.678283 Million

9. Sherlock Holmes - $2.63 Million / Total Gross: $201.579 Million

10. The Blind Side - $2.6 Million / Total Gross: $241.626 Million

Comments

Avatar finally got knocked out of the top spot by a Nicholas Sparks adaptation. If Avatar were a man, then this would surely hurt his pride, but he could at least rejoice in the fact that he's now the top grossing film of all time. Besides the both surprising and unsurprising opening of Dear John (surprising that this would be the film to knock off Avatar, unsurprising because women and teenagers of both sexes eat this kind of shit up), John Travolta's new film, From Paris with Love, opened up with less than stellar numbers. However, Travolta fans need not worry, as he's the cockroach of Hollywood: this man's made so many comebacks that I'm sure his career could still bounce back after a nuclear winter.

Well, Valentine's Day weekend is up next, and there's three films of note opening up: Valentine's Day, The Wolfman, and Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief. Personally, I find this quite amusing, as these films respectively appeal to the following demographics: sad, single women who can't get dates for Valentine's Day; men who would rather play video games than hear a woman talk; and jaded, married couples taking their Ritalin-dosed brats to the movies before they go back home, watch Dateline, and call it a night without so much as a kiss.

Taken together, these three types of people could be considered America's romantically challenged. Isn't it ironic that the most romantic weekend of the year should call them out to the theaters?

plus some animated shit I will never watch

You really should give The Animatrix a try. As an anime fan, I really enjoyed it. If you're not, I suggest giving a watch with an open mind. They give some expansion on the universe and the shorts are really...well, interesting would be the word.

Plus, it got more favorable reviews than either of The Matrix sequels. Much more favorable reviews.

You really should give The Animatrix a try. As an anime fan, I really enjoyed it. If you're not, I suggest giving a watch with an open mind. They give some expansion on the universe and the shorts are really...well, interesting would be the word.

Plus, it got more favorable reviews than either of The Matrix sequels. Much more favorable reviews.

The only anime film or show I ever watched and actually liked was the Street Fighter 2 movie, but that's it.

However, I would have given the Animatrix a shot had the sequels not sucked so much ass. But, the sequels blew any chance of that happening, and honestly... I don't see how the cartoon could hold any relevance to the story. I mean, what else of the story was there to tell after the shitty sequels?

The Animatrix is actually set between The Matrix and the shitty sequels, and is lightyears better than the sequels.

Shame you don't like anime. There are some great shows out there, like Death Note for those who like mysteries and Monster for something very deep and mature.

How is Kung Fu Hustle? I acquired it the other day. I know tdigle told me to download a different movie when I asked him, but I'd rather like opinions on this one. Killjoy says it's good as do a few others...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back