General Discussion Thread *video games tourney*

Nevertheless, I think that match in particular is going to be extremely intrigueing. I fully expect myself to be very vocal during the match and I am sure that I may be able to sway a couple of people to vote for X hopefully. In my opinion, it was an all round better game.

KingdomHearts_TCG_Darkness.JPG

If there was one game that captures my love of RPGs the most it would have to be this one. From its perfect blend of mixing the elements of Disney with Final Fantasy to its action-packed gameplay and difficult boss battles. This game in my opinion is the best RPG ever. While i also love FFVII, it's just a close second to KM.

You all fail. Best ever RPG is Pokemon. 100000000000000000000000 children around the world can't be wrong.

Everyone who was a kid when this came out loved it, it was so addictive, and that's down to gameplay that appeals to all ages - sure, the kids enjoyed it, but there's a depth that lends itself to "serious" gaming as shown by the various ridiculous calculations across the millions of Pokemon fansites. It is surely the most famous and most loved RPG of all time, and probably one of, if not probably the top money making franchise Nintendo, one of the oldest, most respected games companies, has EVER had. Best RPG ever.

Reactions: Lee
After seeing the match ups on the fixture list, I've realized that two of the three games I've decided to pull for are somewhat screwed in their first go around.

Castlevania:SotN is a shoe in for it's round one.
Okami is royally screwed going up against GTA3
and finally Street Fighter 2 is in for a long and difficult battle with Kingdom Hearts.

Here's to hoping some people will read posts before deciding to vote.

After seeing the match ups on the fixture list, I've realized that two of the three games I've decided to pull for are somewhat screwed in their first go around.

Castlevania:SotN is a shoe in for it's round one.
Okami is royally screwed going up against GTA3

and finally Street Fighter 2 is in for a long and difficult battle with Kingdom Hearts.

Here's to hoping some people will read posts before deciding to vote.

I wouldn't be so sure on that one, there's one thing I've learnt in tournaments and there is no such thing as a shoe in.

Street fighter 2 v Kingdom hearts will be an epic battle, we'll see how it goes

I wouldn't be so sure on that one, there's one thing I've learnt in tournaments and there is no such thing as a shoe in.

Street fighter 2 v Kingdom hearts will be an epic battle, we'll see how it goes

True, there isn't but Okami v GTA3 already feels one sided to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to post as much as I can for Okami because I feel that it surpasses GTA3. But with Clover having been shut down and the fact that Okami came out for PS2 around the time that the 360 was coming on strong, I have a feeling that it's gonna get a lot of those "never played it so..." statements.

I for one hope that I am dead wrong in that statement.

Yes Street Fighter 2 v Kingdom Hearts is going to be a first tier battle for the ages, at least it should be.

Reactions: Lee
Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing what you have to say falcon and i think it should be one of the top battles in the tournament.

Just a reminder this is a non spam thread :thumbsup:

But back on track, I think it's possible for Okami to beat GTA3, look at the moment Chrono Trigger is beating COD4, this is a game that not many have heard of that was only released in the UK for the first time a few months ago, beating one of the most successful FPS' since Goldeneye, that shows that there's no such thing as a shoe in. To add to your clover/PS2 comment , you have to remember it was re-released for the Wii and published by Capcom, I regard it as one of the most beautiful games in existence (up there with Ico, shadow of the collusus and hotel dusk)

I'll put it this way, if Street Fighter 2 does happen to go out in it's opening round, at least it was to a worthy game. That being said, everything else will be saved for the thread. Just hope that little brother to the north of me keeps their heads cool so I can still post while I'm at work.

Just a reminder this is a non spam thread :thumbsup:

But back on track, I think it's possible for Okami to beat GTA3, look at the moment Chrono Trigger is beating COD4, this is a game that not many have heard of that was only released in the UK for the first time a few months ago, beating one of the most successful FPS' since Goldeneye, that shows that there's no such thing as a shoe in. To add to your clover/PS2 comment , you have to remember it was re-released for the Wii and published by Capcom, I regard it as one of the most beautiful games in existence (up there with Ico, shadow of the collusus and hotel dusk)

Maybe so about Chrono Trigger, but you have to remember too that it was out on the SNES as well in the states. So it's been around a lot longer, plus a trend I'm seeing in these forums is that most of the people around are more or less RPG gaming fans. However I will state that I was highly unimpressed with COD4, there was a lot of stuff that they should have included to make the game more realistic to me.

I do remember that it was re-released for the Wii, and if I remember correctly Clover was just merely an offshoot of Capcom anyway, Viewtiful Joe anyone? I personally found using the Wii Remote for Okami a bit fustrating but that's probably because I'd played the game on PS2 first and was so used to the controls there that I gave it little chance on the Wii. It is a glorious game that kept me sane while the bombs were being dropped on my base in Iraq. But that's enough about it, I've gotta have some ammo for the thread ya know.

I'll be really torn when GTA 3 vs Okami rolls around, The same arguments can be used for both games, Even though they are in completely different genres.

Am I right in thinking that you are breaking up round one into bite size chunks, Lee?

Yup round one is in bite size chunks, then we move onto the second round which in turn will be in bitesize chunks.

Well that's the first lot of the first round over with and my word....a few suprises;
Our number 9 seed went out to Bioshock, I think because a lot of people haven't even heard of syndicate!

The huge shocker was Call Of Duty 4 ( who I actually had as a dark horse to win this) has gone out in the first round to Square's Chrono Trigger. Amazing stuff :)

Plus the expected wins for mario Kart, Zelda and Civilization as well as castlevania advancing.

Thank god Civilization II went over Bust a Move. It would have been a travesty if it had gone the other way around. Put away the nostalgia, and Bust a Move is pretty shit. Nothing in comparison to the absolutely MASSIVE amount of detail in Civilization II.

And I think you're underrating how knowledgable some of our gaming fans on here are Lee, I'm not that shocked Chrono went over COD4. It rightfully deserved to, and with the support of cool cats like you, myself and Ty you know we earned some votes for it :D

Yea it's not surprising. Chrono can rank up there with many top games in the tourny. Looking forward to the next section of matchups.

As I stated in the Bar room, Chrono Trigger might become this tournaments Edge, now everyone says it´s a good game until it goes over all the other games because of the hype xDD

I am glad Starcraft is still in the game by technical error and gets another chance.

I think I would have lost it if an overrated piece of shit like Mortal Kombat 1 truly beat one of, if not the greatest Real time strategies of all time. Seriously, thats plain embarrassing. Im going to be backing Starcraft alot in this tourny, now who is it going against first... Ultima Online? Not bad :p

On another note, Im glad Chrono Trigger went over, they are both good in their own ways, but to me, Chrono is a bit underrated while COD is a bit overrated.

Starcraft is for sure an important game, I prefer Warcraft 3 but in terms of longevity and fan backing, the ridiculous popularity it has in Korea, where it is pretty much a "sport", is undeniable.

When is Leisure Suit Larry vs. Sonic coming up? Also, do you know what you're putting me through here? Making me choose between my video game hero and my game of choice as a kid? I'm going to have to go with Larry Laffer in the end, but know that no one has faced a harder choice thus far in the tournament.

Hey Lee, quick question, which Metal Gear Solid game (or games) are in the tournament? I'm sure the original is, but what about the sequels?

And god damnit...Manhunt should've been in this tournament. The most disturbing and grotesque game ever, and so very fun. You'll never have so much fun finding new ways to graphically murder people.

Its such a shame that Final Fantasy X and VIII drew each other in the first round. I think whoever loses could have gone a long way towards the final had it not drawn its own. I almost didn't vote but couldn't not for VIII. Also whats the deal with people liking Mario Kart 64, its one hell of a boring game and way too easy on all difficultys unless your playing on multiplayer. Seriously you can do all the races in less than an hour its mind boggeling. Ah well I prefere the DS version myself much more challenging.

Hey Lee, quick question, which Metal Gear Solid game (or games) are in the tournament? I'm sure the original is, but what about the sequels?

And god damnit...Manhunt should've been in this tournament. The most disturbing and grotesque game ever, and so very fun. You'll never have so much fun finding new ways to graphically murder people.

I think just MGS got in, seeding # 12 and has an open round against tales of symphonia. I know 2, 3 and 4 were all in my ultimate list, (I ended up with about 300!) but their points wern't high enough to make it to the top 100 unfortunately.

Just curious Lee, I looked over the fixture three times just to make sure I didn't miss it. It is very possible that I still did miss it anyways, but when is the Street Fighter 2/Kingdom Hearts war set to take place?

If I'm looking at this right, their match is match number 8 and it's not scheduled for a date.

Hmm I seem to have forgotten to add the last 16 games on the fixtures list, they're now there. Expect another eight in the next few hours.

Not to be a prick, but why is not one Tekken game on the draw for the tournament. They were awesome fighting games, that surely deserve a place more than "Black" or "Space invaders". Screw nostalgia it was boring!

As for a pick, i'll go Pokemon Red/Blue. Great addictive RPG, thats was kid friendly and still enjoyable to an older audience. Good connectability with other players as well. However knowing the amount of Final Fantasy fans in the tourny, it might not even make it our of the first round. I've played FF: Tactics. Its ok, but certainly no pokemon.

Also saw that Crash Bandicoot has a tough draw against Gears of War. Cmon, do the right thing. Vote Bandicoot here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back