In favor of the US title getting the Tourny treatment?

Hakushi

Kensuke "Jinsei" Shinzaki
The WWE, IMO, has done a great job thus far with the IC Title #1 contender tournament. Some great matches, some surprising clean wins, some feuds enhanced, something I have looked forward to and enjoyed the last couple weeks. Add to this that. again my opinion, it's a great start for the long road to bring prestige back to The IC Title. I think for the most part, the initial 8 were picked appropriately. I probably would not have entered Sheamus or RVD, but Sheamus performed well and gave a nice rub to Barrett, who could end up winning.
Would this also make sense for a minor stepping stone for the US Title? Do the same thing.....a #1 contender tourny. Have the matches hard fought. No matches should finish in DQ, have the guys 'care' about advancing. I think they could build some organic feuds as well as put on some amazing matches.
My 8 would be (Barring Shield members solely because of their current storyline. I understand Ambrose would face the winner)
Top Bracket:
Dolph vs Miz
Cody Rhodes vs Goldust

Bottom Bracket:
Sandow vs Drew McIntyre
Kofi vs Kidd

Great Idea, Hakushi.

I would just like to see SOMETHING done with the United States title.
I like Dean Ambrose, but it is a slap in the face to the lineage that the belt commands.

Not his fault, but the creative had their heads in their asses when it came to this. When Rollins and Reigns had dropped the Tag Belts, Ambrose should have dropped his, or at least have a superiority complex angle that broke the Shield up, (which could still happen I guess).

By your bracket, it's nice but I would switch Goldust with Kidd that way they end up fighting for the #1 Contender spot, instead of an opening match.

no. having the ic tourny was special and to turn around and do it again would diminish that. there are different ways to restore prestige to the us title, the most obvious is letting a good wrestler defend the belt in high profile matches. the us title will mean something again once reigns splits away and faces ambrose with the belt on the line

If the WWE is serious about giving Dean Ambrose a worthy Singles push post-Shield, I'd let him get the longest US title reign record which should happen sometime around the ending of 2014,I assume, which is the kind of time, I assume that the Shield will have fully split(rumours have stated that Ambrose and Rollins will remain as a tag team after turning on Reigns).

In the meantime, I'd give him a few opponents, and build towards that record, which when achieved would be a perfect Starting point for his Singles run, assuming the WWE is serious about pushing him in the near future as a Top Heel...

The prestige of the US title is just too far gone, IMO. The strap has gone from Bret and DDP headlining World War 3 1998 over it, to being held by dreadful performers like Santino Marella, Zack Ryder and Jack Swagger. While I like Ambrose, his "reign" is the biggest disgrace yet. In the last 6 months he's had two defences (both against Mark Henry, wow) and most of the time he doesn't even carry it to the ring with him.

Having a tournament would be a real bolt from the blue, like Keanu Reeves suddenly getting an Oscar nod or something. The US title needs to be permanently consigned to the trash can, the sooner the better.

Is the US title even sill recognized? I haven't seen it on tv in a while. Hopefully they just faze it out and let everybody forget about it. I have enjoyed the IC title tourny but I'd much rather see the KOTR tournament return. But the US title just isn't needed anymore.

no. having the ic tourny was special and to turn around and do it again would diminish that. there are different ways to restore prestige to the us title, the most obvious is letting a good wrestler defend the belt in high profile matches. the us title will mean something again once reigns splits away and faces ambrose with the belt on the line

Reigns winning the US Title really wouldn't do anything.

The reason why the title is in the position that it's in now is because Ambrose has been pushed so hard in main event storylines and thus the people who SHOULD be fighting for the belt (midcarders), aren't seen as a viable threat to him.

With WWE already trying to push Reigns as a future top level talent, the belt will most likely be in the same predicament. Reigns will just pick up where Ambrose left off, hoarding the title while dicking around in main event storylines where the belt doesn't matter.

I would not have a tournament. But will have number
1 contender matches. I think Orton should take the title
Due to interference.I do hope rusev gets his hands on it some
Time at the end of year. And defends it at mania 31 against a face
Swagger.

I'd rather see it unified with the IC belt. While we diehards may get into tournaments and long for a return to prominence for the midcard titles, most people couldn't care less about either. If WWE has an itch to do another tournament soon then they should resurrect King of the Ring again.

I love Ambrose, but I'm in agreement with you guys, it's been a farce of a title reign. Once The Shield have either split, or moved on from the Evolution feud, hopefully they'll do something with it, but if they've waited this long then I don't have my hopes up.

Maybe it's time to put it on one of the NXT guys coming up like Rusev? Whatever your opinion of him and others coming up, at least it would get defended, and could easily become a focal point for the newer guys on the roster, and ones in limbo like Justin Gabriel/Tyson Kidd etc.

I love the IC Title tournament, it makes the belt credible again and has given it some much needed focus.

They should definitely repeat the process for the US Title which again has no relevance at this moment in time.

Alexander Rusev
Damien Sandow
Cody Rhodes
Christian
Kofi Kingston
The Miz
R-Truth
Rey Mysterio

These would be my 8 contestants, keeping them different from the IC Tournament. I think this would be a good way to build Alexander Rusev. He wins the tournament and then he faces off against the IC Champion at Summerslam in a Unification match. Keep the belt on Big E Langston and have these two powerhouses lock horns further down the line.

This is what creative should have done with Ryback.

i think ambrose should put it on the line more often(not his fault). no tourn. yet. i think of the us title as a tough/physical mans belt. sandow, cesaro, wyatt, sheamus, ryback, rusev, swagger, cody etc. bruiser brody i wish. no unification

the IC and US Titles should have been merged/unified years ago. literally. neither belt has had any real significance or meaning in a very long time. and especially now with the two World Titles finally unified (i know they've been unified for awhile), it'd make perfect sense to let these two belts become one also.

the IC Title is wrapping up its own tournament. that's good and has helped add some much needed credibility to the title. repeating that could work but would feel kinda redundant and lazy to me. just a personal opinion.

so instead of a tournament, how about a couple of gauntlet style matches to name a number one contender? or a battle royal maybe?

either way, do something quickly and effectively to make the US Title strong once again, but only for a short time. then please, dear God, please, unify this title with its counterpart mid-card title at SummerSlam.

The United States championship has become the modern day European Championship, and honestly, there's nothing wrong with that to me. It's almost like saying, "You're not quite ready to be the workhorse champion, but you're doing well and we want to award you for it." As for the defenses thing, I don't care. I know that there are things called Live Events, where most defenses usually DO take place so it doesn't bother me. In fact, that makes televised championship matches even more special to me.

I don't think a tournament would work right now for the US title.

If I had any say, this is how it would pan out:

HHH books Ambrose to defend his title - he goes out and beats his first, second, and third opponent... then the fourth opponent comes in and finishes off Ambrose.

That person carries the US Title - but defends it every week at least once, between Raw, Smackdown and Superstars... put on quality matches and retain the title. Make the title interesting and important again.

In the meantime, The Shield have bigger fish to fry so Ambrose does not immediately invoke his rematch clause. But he does so a few months later - and instant singles feud.

The way its been booked, to quote Dean Ambrose, "Nope".

The US title is irrelevant and WWE doesnt seem to give a damn a bout it for the longest time, even before Ambrose's reign.

The way the feud is shaping up, I would much rather have Triple H force him to defend the title with some odds stacked against him.

If they do have plans to push Ambrose or just keep him relevant, as I think there are enough pushes going on atm, have him be the longest reigning US champ. They might as well do something with it now that he's been holding on to it for so long. No point in wasting the reign.

In any case, I think the IC and US titles should merge at WM 31. Make it something big, at big as they can be. But knowing WWE, the way they handled the WWE and WHC unification, they will probably just pick a random PPV and do it. But I would be fine even with that cause I just wanna see the US title gone.

It really hasnt helped anyone. It didnt help cesaro, it didnt help the Miz, it didnt help anyone for the longest time, same with the IC belt after Disfigured Cody held it.

Investing in a tourney for the US belt is just too many resources spent for nothing. And Cody and Goldust is not a match that should be in a qualifier match for the US titles. It's a grudge match, a Brother vs Brother match and that's all that it should be. Cody Rhodes would get 0 benefit from a US title run, he has other problems.

You know what's kind of sad? WWE has had 11 WrestleMania's with both the US and IC Titles in the company. That means that there could be a combined 22 US/IC Title Matches since WrestleMania XX. But is that the case? No. Since WrestleMania XX, we've seen only 5 mid card title matches. 5. It's been seven years since the US Title was defended on a WrestleMania. Hell, the US Champ didn't even bring the belt to the ring with him this year. That's a pretty clear indication that WWE doesn't care about the presentation of the title.

I would not have a US Title tournament. At least, not for a few months. Would kind of be overkill doing it so close to the UC Tourney. Instead, you just need Ambrose to start defending the title regularly and reminding everyone how important it is. Give him the mic and tell him to remind everyone how important the title should be. After a few good promos and good matches, it will mean something again. It does seem kind of useless to have two mid-card titles, but I'm only in favor of unification if the WWE gives absolutely no effort into restoring the title's prestige. But if they actually gave a crap and treated the product with respect, than it could be used as another tool to get people over. But, there's only four things that the WWE actually respects. Triple H, Randy Orton, John Cena, and Triple H. Actually, it's five. Triple H is the fifth. Get my point? They don't seem to respect the roster and the product as a whole, and the lack of focus on everyone and everything else just lowers the quality of WWE's output. Gonna be a sad day when Orton and Cena retire and there's no new stars behind him. But hey, that's like 15 years and 45 World Title runs away right? Maybe, just maybe, we'll get lucky and WWE won't screw up the young guys like Bryan, Cesaro, Reigns, Rollins, Ambrose, and the others. Maybe.

I THINK THE BEST THING TO DO WITH THE US TITLE WOULD BE TO HAVE AMBROSE TO UNIFY THE TITLE WITH BAD NEWS BARRETT AFTER HE WINS IC TITLE, AFTER INTERFERENCE FROM ORTON/BATISTA. AND THEN BRING BACK THE CRUISERWEIGHT TITLE, PERHAPS EVEN WITH HORSWOGGLE DEFENDING AGAINST EL TORINO AS HE WAS THE LAST CHAPION, BEFORE MOVING THE TITLE ON TO THE SERIOUS CRUISERWEIGHTS, SIN CARA, GABRIEL, RYDER, TYSON KIDD, MYSTERIO, LOS MATADORES, SETH ROLLINS ETC COULD REVIVE THE CRUISERWEIGHT DIVISION

What they could have done was have a super tournament, like the NCAA and have the IC title on one side and the US title on the other.

Then the winners of the Langston vs. ???? and the Ambrose vs. ???? match could have had the "merging of the belts" match.

At this point, the US title should be gone. I honestly keep forgetting it even still exists. Half the time, Ambrose doesn't even have it with him. Carrying it does nothing to elevate a superstar.

Such a shame that they destroyed the status of that title. You look at the lineage and most of the holders are Hall of Famers.

I would like to see a tournament for the US Champion too, but not right now. We already have an Intercontinental Championship #1 contendership tournament going on and they need to spread the tournaments out. I would like to see one for the US Championship's #1 contender take place during June. The winner gets a title shot on Raw of July 7, 2014. I'd have suggested the 4th since that is a holiday that would be perfect for the title match but it falls on a friday and it would suck for a title change to get spoiled by the results being posted online before the match airs. As long as it does not take place for a while I'm all for the other midcard belt getting a tournament also to help crown a new #1 contender. It wouldn't restore much of any prestige for the belt but it's better than the lack of attention it receives now.

I wouldn't have any problem at all with it. God knows something needs to be done with it. WWE should have Ambrose defend the thing, drop it to someone or just retire it altogether. I've never been a fan of someone carrying a title just for the simple sake of having it.

Personally, I think WWE's missed a good opportunity to elevate the title and Ambrose by association. As of today, Ambrose has been WWE United States Champion for 343 days, tying MVP for the longest reign in company history. Tomorrow, Ambrose will have the 3rd longest run with the title in its entire history with only Lex Luger's 3rd run and Rick Rude's 1st & only run of 523 and 419 days being longer. Since the hot potato title booking that started back in the Attitude Era that's only stopped within the past year or so, it's not exactly been a frequent happening for a champ's run to last 6 months or more. As a result, I just think it would've been cool for WWE to use this opportunity. Ambrose is a great talent and can only do as he's booked to, so this is all definitely on the head of WWE management.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back