Is there an Ultimate Warrior of the 2000s?

wbuqed

I bring the meat even if ur a vegan
Hey so i got done watching the WWE produced "Self Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior" DVD and it made me wonder if there was anyone you guys can think of that looks like they could go down that road or already has done it in the past decade. The only one I could think of is possibly Sheamus. I like the guy don't get me wrong but the match style seems to be like warrior's, very quick matches and he had a very early title reign. I could be completely off with that one though. What do you guys think?

I've never liked Warrior, and never will, but what you have to remember about Warrior is, like him or not, the guy was a HUGE star back in the day. You could even go as far as calling him a phenomenon. Warrior did something back then that you rarely saw, he beat Hulk Hogan for the WWF championship, and he did it in the main event at Wrestlemania of all places. That was HUGE because back in those days you didn't take the belt of Hogan for another guy...you just didn't. Now Sheamus going over Cena was a pretty big moment because this was also unexpected, but the match ended in controversy. It wasn't a decisive win for Sheamus, and he won't be going into Mania as the champion. You also have to add in the fact that he was endorsed by Triple H.

If I had to pick a guy who comes any where close to being a modern day Warrior, I would pick Rob Terry. Terry is limited in the ring, and has that monster physique like Warrior. Terry is currently the TNA Global Champion, and I wouldn't be surprised if TNA put the world title on him some where down the line. Terry probably won't become loved by the fans or become a phenom, but he could get over as a heel.

The closest thing to Ultimate Warrior in the first decade of the second millennium is in my opinion Brock Lesnar (though he's become massively more successful with his MMA compared to UW who just faded into obscurity).

It's quite possible Mr. Kennedy could be included in that category, but... at the same time, that was a very different story.

Taking a look at the active roster, I think the "best" candidate for going on a self-destruction spree would be Randy Orton. He's obviously got some anger issues, but if that translates into some kind of UW situation, I'm not so sure.

The WWE operates under very different terms and contracts these days, and I believe they have learned their lesson: no superstar is larger than the company.

Well, it depends on what exactly you're asking. If we are talking about early title reigns or shocking victories that no one expected, then it's Sheamus.... but I have always said that the modern counterpart of Ultimate Warrior is Batista because they are both huge guys with similar in-ring abilities and they even do the same ring rope taunt. The similarities are there, and I say it's no contest.... The Ultimate Warrior of the 2000's is definitely Batista. One could argue that WWE is trying to recreate Hogan VS Warrior this year with Cena VS Batista.

Batista is far better in the ring the Warrior was, it's not even close. That's not to say that Batista is an amazing worker, just that he has a far better sense of just about everything needed to be passable in the ring. Warrior couldn't sell defense, had no psychology, and was incredibly limited in what he could do offensively. With that being said, character wise they are somewhat similar. They both are uncontrollable monsters, use the same taunt and so on. So Batista is the closest thing to a modern day Warrior, but that could be selling big Dave a little short.

If your talking about in ring, then probably somebody like Batista who has short matches with very little offense, but still a lot of charisma. If anyone cared about Matt Morgan, he'd be more similar. If you're talking about believing one's own hype to the point of being a huge fuck up, then you'd probably have to look at somebody like Goldberg. Not as mental admittedly, but completely unwilling to play the game and be a team player because he was a behemoth when he arrived on the scene. I suppose old timers would say they never paid dues.

i totally agree with Dagger and Tasty. Batista is the first person on today's roster who, imo, translates to Warrior. He would have to be a Main Eventer. Limited in-ring. Not overly liked by many of the behind the scenes guys and workers. ( i think there are a lot of guys who dont get along with him for some reason)

I think Goldberg is Warrior/Batista of the 90's.

to sum up (of course, very primitively because no one is exactly alike)
Warrior (80's) = Goldberg (90's)= Batista (2000's)

Wow, as soon as I saw this thread I IMMEDIATLET thought of batista. Funny how great minds think alike.
IMO batista had that "animal" feel to him when he 1st came out, as apposed 2 now, but back to Þhe point. THE ANIMA... How could u not associate the 2. He is big as hell, has that "rage" that's believable, and with a little face paint and a wig he can be WWE's version of Jay lethal.
Wow, that was off color, but its true. Now I doubt anyone can fuck up a carrer quite like the warrior can, so I doubt we'll ever see a FULL FLEDGED "warrior" knockoff, unless its some asshole wih a crappy idea.

For me it is Batista, Dave was introduced to us in 2002, injuired in 2003 for the most part of it, then came back in late 2003 where he was Evolution's Body Guard, in 2004 he entered in mid card feuds then they decided to push him so he was pushed to the moon in 2005 and from that date to today he is one of the company's top stars IMO only behind Cena, Batista may be better than Warrior when it comes to the in ring abilites as well as on the mic, Dave can work as a face and as a heel (something I'm sure Warrior can't do), he also have better in ring psycology than Warrior (he makes his selling more believable than Warrior's) but on the other hand both wrestlers have similar personalities as they are presented that they are larger than life, Animals who can do anything and demolish any force in front of them, they have the similar taunt and I guess Batista just like Warrior is not liked by many people backstage.

IMO it goes like this, we had Warrior in the late 80s and early 90s, then Goldberg in late 90s and early 00s then Batisita in mid 00s to maybe mid 10s my guess is that Sheamus may be the one who continue this list, although I'm not sure whether he is not liked backstage or he is not an ass.

Let me start off by saying that Sheamus isn't in the same UNIVERSE as the Warrior. The Warrior was hugely successful (not talented, SUCCESSFUL, big difference) as an IC champion. The guy was way over with the crowd. And he was so basically from his WWF introduction until he left in 1991 (even after that when he returned at Mania 8). So to compare his success to that of Sheamus is a terrible idea. He is one of the ten biggest names in the history of the WWF (not always in a good way, either).

The Warrior was terrible. He couldn't wrestle, and he was even worse on the mic (if that is even possible). But the Warriors biggest problem wasn't his lack of talent. His limited talent got him over with the crowd. And I mean he was really, really over, only second to Hogan (and that is debatable). Warriors biggest problem, in terms of history, was his falling out with Vince.

VINCE has turned this guy into a joke. Granted, Vince had a lot of material to work with. The Warrior wouldn't be remembered nearly as badly as he is today without the Self Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior. That DVD made him look bad in every aspect. Jesus, it made him look bad during the height of his popularity. And yes, most of that was deserved.

There is no Warrior of today, at least not yet. If Vince has a falling out with a guy in the next few years, like Cena or Batista, maybe. But no one on the level of Warrior is even close to being on this bad of terms with Vince, at least not right now.

On a much smaller scale than Warrior, I think Nathan Jones fits the category. Like Warrior, he was scheduled for a massive push but proved himself to be a head case and wound up walking away from wrestling.

Also like Warrior, Jones had potential as a wrestler but never lived up to it; instead, he was satisfied with being a menacing presence and using a lot of wasted motion in the ring to cover up for a lack of technical knowledge.

Nathan Jones.....G'day, mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back