My idea of a new wrestling match type (what's yours)?

d_henderson1810

Mid-Card Championship Winner
I have an idea of a match type which I came up with, and was wondering if any of you have ever thought of an idea for a match type.

My match type would be a "Ladder & Cage Tag-Team Match".

Here's how it works.

It would be between two tag-teams. One partner from each side starts in the ring, and their partners are each locked in a Shark Cage at ringside.

Two keys will be hanging above the ring. Each key unlocks one of the cages.

The idea is for the first two competitors to fight, try to retrieve a ladder from under the ring, and grab a key. They can then use the key to unlock the Shark Cage their partner is in.

Once someone rescues their partner, then it can be a two-on-one attack, until the other participant can climb the ladder, retrieve the key and unlock their partner's cage, evening up the odds. Then it would revert to a Tornado Tag-Team Match until a pinfall or submission occurs.

The thing with this too, is that the advantage is weighed heavily in whoever unlocks their partner first, as it is a lot harder for the second person to climb the ladder and retrieve the key, when they now have two people to tip the ladder over.

Also, an added complication would be that no-one knows what key unlocks which cage. So you could climb the ladder, get the key and try to unlock the cage, only to find that the key doesn't work, because it is for the other cage. You now have to climb the ladder again and get the other key, while keeping the original key you grabbed out of the clutches of the opponent.

I think this would be a cool match type.

What ideas for a match type have you had in the past? This could be a good opportunity to share our ideas, and what others think of them.

That's hard to pick since TNA pretty much did all of the weird gimmick matches especially involving cages. So if i had to create a new gimmick match it would be a reverse elimination chamber match.

The logic is quite simple, you set up the elimination chamber cage but instead of having all of the participant come up at the beginning of the match you only have the first two. then ever 2 minutes another participants arrive until all six guy are in the ring. The only way to win is to put your opponent inside a pod until they're only 2 left, then the winner will be determine by whoever is able to throw his opponent outside of the cage.

Hopefully, my ideas will interest you.

How about a "Hat Trick" or a "Trifecta" match. You can only win by defeating your opponent by all 3 of Pinfall, Submission and 10 count out. Could be cool.

5 Count Match - The pinfall is to five instead of three. Wrestlers can't use weapons or go outside the ring, so everything must be done inside the ring. The theory is that it would be much harder for a wrestler to get a victory if it was a count to 5 instead of three. The wrestler would have to be really exhausted to lose a match like that.

Prison Cell Match: A Steel Cage Match with 2 or 3 layers, no roof and the only way to win is to either climb over the roof and all the way down the multilayer cage or grab the key at the top climb down to the ring layer and unlock the door.

A "Performance Center" match where a match takes place in the Performance Center. The doors are barricaded shut, and falls count anywhere inside the building. Would be fun to see the wrestlers brawl in all the rings they have there.

Capture the Flag. Two rings set up, each a decent distance apart from one another. Five wrestlers to a side, have to take the enemy flag back to your ring while in possession of your own flag. First to capture three, win.

Big City Lights Match: All four corners have a lighting system on top of them one blue light and one red light meaning you have to climb to turn them on, The red light is for the opponent from the red corner while the blue light is for the opponent from the blue corner, winner is decided when all 4 of their lights are turned on, an opponent can turn the opponents lights off.

Perhaps a Steel Cage Battle Royal, to win you have to escape the cage but only there are 15-20 guys inside.

Gauntlet Rumble.Like a Royal Rumble. But you have to pin or submit your opponent. Falls count anywhere.

A new rule in which DQs or count-out victories result in a title change.

Hopefully, my ideas will interest you.

How about a "Hat Trick" or a "Trifecta" match. You can only win by defeating your opponent by all 3 of Pinfall, Submission and 10 count out. Could be cool.

5 Count Match - The pinfall is to five instead of three. Wrestlers can't use weapons or go outside the ring, so everything must be done inside the ring. The theory is that it would be much harder for a wrestler to get a victory if it was a count to 5 instead of three. The wrestler would have to be really exhausted to lose a match like that.

Prison Cell Match: A Steel Cage Match with 2 or 3 layers, no roof and the only way to win is to either climb over the roof and all the way down the multilayer cage or grab the key at the top climb down to the ring layer and unlock the door.

A "Performance Center" match where a match takes place in the Performance Center. The doors are barricaded shut, and falls count anywhere inside the building. Would be fun to see the wrestlers brawl in all the rings they have there.

Capture the Flag. Two rings set up, each a decent distance apart from one another. Five wrestlers to a side, have to take the enemy flag back to your ring while in possession of your own flag. First to capture three, win.

Big City Lights Match: All four corners have a lighting system on top of them one blue light and one red light meaning you have to climb to turn them on, The red light is for the opponent from the red corner while the blue light is for the opponent from the blue corner, winner is decided when all 4 of their lights are turned on, an opponent can turn the opponents lights off.

Perhaps a Steel Cage Battle Royal, to win you have to escape the cage but only there are 15-20 guys inside.

Gauntlet Rumble.Like a Royal Rumble. But you have to pin or submit your opponent. Falls count anywhere.

A new rule in which DQs or count-out victories result in a title change.

The Big City lights match already exists? JBL be Eddie??

Didn’t he have one against Batista too?

The Ladder and Shark Cage Tag Team match idea isn't too bad. I generally like gimmick matches if the psychology and strategy of the match could be interesting and different depending on who is in the match.

I wouldn't mind seeing a match like that, but if it were to happen, I'd really like it to be well built up. Two teams who really despise each other, or better yet, two tag teams where ONE member in particular of that tag team is really despicable and the other tag team can't WAIT to get their hands on him, and he's in the shark cage! Example might be if early on when Seth Rollins turned on the Shield, if Reigns and Ambrose had the Tag Titles and Rollins was with Triple H. If the next PPV was a Ladder & Shark Cage match it would be pretty interesting! As both Reigns and Ambrose would really want to get their hands on Rollins, but can't unless they get the key. But if Triple H opens Rollins cage first he gets to pound on Ambrose and Reigns without much of a comeback.

So, in scenarios where there was a big betrayal or heated feud, I could see that type of match working. But, it really shouldn't happen very often.

As for other match types? I guess I'm pretty alone in thinking that I actually liked the idea around the Championship Scramble matches. I thought it was an interesting way of doing a multi-man Championship match where you could basically 'test the waters' to see how the fans reacted if a certain wrestler won a fall and was a temporary Champ before the match was over. That way, the record books don't change, but you can kind of see if the fans react very positive or negative to a temporary Champ. But, alas, that match has already been done.

I'm not a super big fan of matches that are too gimmicky. That said, maybe my favorite match of all time was Rock vs Mankind Empty Arena Match! Great, fun, hardcore all-over-the-place match. Second only to the "match" Stone Cold and Booker T had. I guess what I'm saying is I miss hardcore matches that go all over the place.

We have enough gimmick matches in wrestling and, honestly, I think WWE needs to scale down on them.

But if we were going to have something other than a regular match "3 Stages of Hastags Match". It's really stupid but most why not experiment?

The stipulation is it's a 2 out of 3 falls match and, like a 3 stages of hell, there is a specific stipulation in each fall but part of the stipulation is through twitter hashtag voting.

So here are the rules. The stipulation of each fall is not revealed until prior to a voting period.So the voting period is this

Before the two super stars enter the first stipulation is something like this "Weapon Match" voters get to chose from a list of weapons lead pipe, chain, steel chair, table, sledgehammer etc.

Then after the 1st fall there will be a 90 second break with the next is "Tag Team Match" so voters now can chose any super star in the building to team with both wrestlers. So the winner of the last fall gets the wrestler with the most votes and the one that loses gets the superstar with the least amount of votes

Then after the 2nd fall, if there is, the next stipulation is a hardcore match but the only way to win is via pinfall, submssion, lastmanstanding, firstblood, ambulancematch etc.

This may have been done by now (looking at you Japan) but I always thought it would be really cool to see a TLC Hell in a Cell match.

Opponnents would start in cell but with tables, ladders and chairs inside and the goal would be to get on top of the cell, where there would be another ladder for them to climb and retrieve the title or briefcase hanging high above.

Obviously this would be a super dangerous match so alternately have the title/briefcase hanging from inside the roof of the cell instead.

How about have the royal rumble but stipulate when it gets down to the final 4 that it turns into a fatal 4 way match. It would work so that the last man in could be a monster like Sullivan or Strowman and a couple of people in the late teens / early 20’s and somebody playing the underdog role (Roode / Cesaro maybe) coming in at number 3.

Automatically you could have Strowman or Lars destroy everybody as they are fresh and you wouldn’t expect the underdogs to have enough energy to finish the match and then all of a sudden Roode hits the glorious ddt for the win

I have a few ideas. Most of them are just variations of matches that are already around, but here it goes:
1. A Hell in a Cell championship scramble match. Basically this would be the same format as a championship scramble match except all 5 men will start at the same time. The rules are simple, 30 minute time limit and all pinfalls and submissions must take place inside the cell. Whoever scores that last fall before 30 minutes is up leaves as the new champion. I feel that this type of match can be good to create a lot of buzz for Hell in a Cell PPV since we haven't had either a championship scramble match or a multiple person Hell in a Cell match in a long time. (Not including New Day vs Uso's because that was a tag match.)
2. Weapon scavenger hunt match. The basic premise is this, somewhere in the area a weapon is hidden. It can be a chair, or whatever. The rules of the match are simple, there are no countouts and whoever finds the weapon and gets their hands on it first, is allowed to use it without being disqualified. However, all other weapons will be banned. If the person who doesn't pick up the weapon first uses it or any other weapon then he will be disqualified. I think this could be interesting because the fighting can take place virtually anywhere since the wrestlers won't know where the weapon is so first fans will be wondering who will get their hands on the weapon and then they will wonder how the other wrestler is going to escape their predicament. Pinfalls must take place inside the ring.
3. Reverse submission match. The rules are as follows. The only way you can win is by making your opponent submit using their own finisher. It's the ultimate humiliation match. This match would have to take place between two superstars who use submissions as their finishers. IE. Becky Lynch vs Charlotte Flair. Now during the course of the match, you can use your own finisher, but you can't win with it. So if Charlotte has Becky in the figure eight and Becky taps out, the match continues. It only ends when one person has the other person tapping out with their own submission hold. It creates some interesting dynamics because like I said Charlotte can put Becky in the figure eight and hold it for as long as possible until she believes that Becky has absolutely no fight left in her and then apply the armbar. But then Becky could also be faking that she's done or get a second wind and put Charlotte in the figure eight after Charlotte has released the hold.

This one would probably be a little dangerous, but a dog collar ladder match. I don't know how well it would work, but I think it could be fun to watch

I’d like to see something which sits somewhere between boxing and UFC in terms of format. A number of timed rounds, judges etc. You can still win by Pinfall, Submission, Count Out, TKO etc. You can be disqualified but also punished for small rule breaks. Three Judges could be partisan or just special guests or a mix of both. Call it a Pure Wrestling match or something.

Would make a contract signing make sense, and the build up would be more about each wrestlers preparations and who they chose as a coach, trainer etc and the judges and the relationships between them.

Would also like to see the return of classic cage match rules (over the top of the cage or out the door, no pin fall or submission rubbish!)

Also liked classic Boiler Room Brawl type matches where you had to get to the ring following starting the match in a different part of the arena. Maybe incorporate the 24/7 title and a ladder match and a ridiculous gum ball rally style race, chase. Basically start the match at area, and have them race to Smackdown with various bits of hijinx akin to wacky races, obviously you have the sneakiest person arrive first at the arena, totally showboating after being a total dick, before R-Truth sprints through the crowd or zipwires like Shawn Michaels to make the save and start the match. Others arrive. The winner gets a week off defending the title or something!

I have an idea of a match type which I came up with, and was wondering if any of you have ever thought of an idea for a match type.

My match type would be a "Ladder & Cage Tag-Team Match".

Here's how it works.

It would be between two tag-teams. One partner from each side starts in the ring, and their partners are each locked in a Shark Cage at ringside.

Two keys will be hanging above the ring. Each key unlocks one of the cages.

The idea is for the first two competitors to fight, try to retrieve a ladder from under the ring, and grab a key. They can then use the key to unlock the Shark Cage their partner is in.

Once someone rescues their partner, then it can be a two-on-one attack, until the other participant can climb the ladder, retrieve the key and unlock their partner's cage, evening up the odds. Then it would revert to a Tornado Tag-Team Match until a pinfall or submission occurs.

The thing with this too, is that the advantage is weighed heavily in whoever unlocks their partner first, as it is a lot harder for the second person to climb the ladder and retrieve the key, when they now have two people to tip the ladder over.

Also, an added complication would be that no-one knows what key unlocks which cage. So you could climb the ladder, get the key and try to unlock the cage, only to find that the key doesn't work, because it is for the other cage. You now have to climb the ladder again and get the other key, while keeping the original key you grabbed out of the clutches of the opponent.

I think this would be a cool match type.

What ideas for a match type have you had in the past? This could be a good opportunity to share our ideas, and what others think of them.

I’d like to see something which sits somewhere between boxing and UFC in terms of format. A number of timed rounds, judges etc. You can still win by Pinfall, Submission, Count Out, TKO etc. You can be disqualified but also punished for small rule breaks. Three Judges could be partisan or just special guests or a mix of both. Call it a Pure Wrestling match or something.

wasn't this the basic premise of the TNA Grand Championship..and everyone here on WZ $#!+ all over it.

I had an idea. Sort of like the, Brawl for it All, the WWE had while they were the WWF, but not as stupid. It would be a shoot pro wrestling match. It would be, between two willing wrestlers who want to challenge their own skills. The rules are first of all, a true scientific match. Lucha, hard style, and catch can be used in the match. Only true moves can be used, ie, the tombstone or and type of piledriver would be banned. True submission holds can be used. Lucha styles can be used as long as agreed upon by both wrestlers and deemed safe. UFC style of fighting can also be incorporated as well. It would be a true hybrid of styles in the ring. Since it is a true shoot match, the winner is NOT planned. It would be a true wrestling match.

Loving this thread, I think this is a very interesting discussion
o.png

Trick or treat match
Two wrestlers compete in a singles match but every 30 seconds it changes. One wrestler gets a random reward or punishment. Then in 30 seconds the other competitor gets a random reward or punishment. You win this match by scoring a 6 count pin unless a treat changes that rule.
Rewards might include: having a teammate help you
Being aloud to use a certain weapon
Making the pinfall shorter.
Punishments might include:
Having your hand tied behind your back
Making the pinfall longer
Being attacked for a small amount of time

Last edited:
Viper strike match
Anything is aloud. First to hit an RKO wins.
Could also make a stunner match. Same thing but with a stunner

WWE got talent match.
3 competitors compete with no rules for ten minutes. 4 judges watch them and at the end of the match the judges say who wrestled the best and he or she is announced the winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back