Which Wrestler Has Hurt The Business Most

NYSandman

Testicles. That is all.
We've had topics about the worst wrestlers of all time. Here's my question. Who do you think, because of selfishness, power and lockerroom politics, has done the most damage to the business? I'd say Hogan, because he held back so many of the young guys in WCW. Can anyone think of someone worse or more selfish? Can be past or present.

without a doubt, Kevin Nash. i can already see the nash votes and the hogan votes that are sure to fill this string.

everyone has their own views on why wcw crumbled and whose fault it was. the person who gets the most blame from me is nash. (behind nash would be russo)

the death of wcw changed EVERYTHING in the wrestling world as we knew it and grew up with.

The guy I mainly got issues with is RUSSO. He's a clown. I also don't like what Kurt Angle is trying to do. He's badmouthing everyone and everything, and bringing uneeded controversy to TNA. TNA doesn't need to discredit WWE to accomplish it's goals. Angle has turned into a "i'm better than you" kind of guy, and needs his ego stroked daily now. What is he accomplishing for the buisness other than making TNA look bitter and foolish? Why is the WWE so important to RUSSO and ANGLE now?

I dont think anybody has hurt the buisness. There has been certain wrestlers/personalities who I think have made wrestling worse though, but only for short periods of time.

NYSandman said:
We've had topics about the worst wrestlers of all time. Here's my question. Who do you think, because of selfishness, power and lockerroom politics, has done the most damage to the business? I'd say Hogan, because he held back so many of the young guys in WCW. Can anyone think of someone worse or more selfish? Can be past or present.
lol. Without hogan putting wrestling on the map there would of been no wcw you silly goose.

well as weird as this may seem i would have to say vince. he bought wcw screwed up the whole angle with the invasion and took his competition out, now wwe doesnt have to worry about putting on good shows because if you wanna watch wrestling its gotta be wwe unless you wanna watch the old age home they call tna. he hires bad story writters, involves himself too much on angles, dont get me wrong hes done some good things for the business but i would say hes the main person to blame for the state of pro wrestling.

familymark said:
well as weird as this may seem i would have to say vince. he bought wcw screwed up the whole angle with the invasion and took his competition out, now wwe doesnt have to worry about putting on good shows because if you wanna watch wrestling its gotta be wwe unless you wanna watch the old age home they call tna. he hires bad story writters, involves himself too much on angles, dont get me wrong hes done some good things for the business but i would say hes the main person to blame for the state of pro wrestling.

I was going to say the exact same thing. Vince McMahon made wrestling what it is today. But he's ego is way to big. He thinks he knows what the fans want when he doesn't. I know it's not an easy job and I'm saying I could do any better, but you really have to question a lot of the things he does. Vince McMahon is probably one of the last guys I'd ever want to work for.

I have to go with Hogan. Consider all the great wrestlers he held down. Rude, DiBiase, Sting, Hart, Hening, Austin. Him and Bishoff are the main reason WCW died. Bishcoff created an atmosphere of mistrust and divided the locker room. Hogan used his creative control to ruin fueds, finishes, and careers. For all the good things Hogan did in the 80's, it was destroyed by his attitude from the 90's and on.

Vince McMahon is the worst because of everything he has done;I see things (whether it be WWE.com or in a magazine) that try to play it off like they give the fans what they want. I feel disapointed actualley most of the Time whenever i watch WWE programming.
Vince Mcmahon gives me the impression that the only thing he cares about is making money, not creating the quality wrestling.

Its got to be vince Russo. I agree with what people are saying about McMahon and Hogan, but both of them have also done a lot of good, I cant honestly think of one good thing Russo has done, but can think of dozens of bad things so he gets my vote

you guys can say vince has hurt the business the most but without vince you wouldnt be watching any wrestling on tv.....because of vince and his family...wrestling has become known throughout the whole world...everyone knows what wwe is in this world......vince's ego is what made wrestling what it is today...vince is what gave the monday night wars...vince is who created an amazing business his father created to a fantastic business....perhaps yes vince is money hungry and these days it may seem he is but that is in the human nature...theres no such thing as ever having to much and he wants as much as he can possibly get....vince puts the concept of what fans want just to a certain degree...after all it is his business and he runs the show...vince couldnt have hurt the business the most because if overcame the monday night wars and bought wcw and ecw and uses both concepts in his organization today...that is something no one would ever have thought seeing years ago....i think that is why tna is created tonight...jarret a former WWE superstar....the competition that vince has presented is what makes us sit here right now and write on this forum....wcw was killed because it was a team effor not one person just killed it...it was a combination of things...with how it was being managed effected the attitudes of the wrestlers and alll...Hogan did not hurt the business he actually helped with putting it on the map..there is a reason that hogan is the most recognized name in the world of wrestling today so i dont understand how he culd have hurt it

As far as who's been the worst for the business in the last decade? Hogan. His ego and complete creative control over his character helped shoot WCW in the foot. At a time when ratings were neck and neck, WWF was putting on better main events than Nitro the majority of the time. Younger talent needed to be pushed and the torch should've begun to be passed as soon as 1998, however when the torch was passed it went into the hands of the wrong people. Nash wasn't anything to write home about in the wrestling department, and Goldberg is pond scum ring-wise. They complicated the main-event scene for too long. Hell, at that time WCW had the deepest wrestling roster in the history of the business. Many guys could've taken the ball and ran with it, but alas they were passed over. Bischoff flashed money and had Bret Hart in his back pocket, but was too stupid to do anything with him. Sting was allowed to be on the shelf for a year and a half, and when he came back his push was squashed by Hogan's need to wear a belt. Luger's very successful push and title win was marred by Hogan taking the belt back one week later in the summer of 1997. By the time management was allowing fresh indy workers and more capable people to hold titles, the company was already breathing it's dying breath. If Hogan would've paid attention to the sagging attendance and ratings earlier, and would've observed the quality of WWF's title matches over his, he would've known to step his @$$ down and get out of the way. Just when you think we'd never see Hogan again, he came back to WCW wearing the red and yellow, and trying to revive a gimmick that should've stayed in 1990. Don't even get me going on his return to WWF/E.

Definately not Vince. As someone up above said, He was responsible for why you think wrestling fell off. Without him and his federation in the attitude era, you guys wouldn't be able to look back on Austin, or Rock, or all the good times we saw then. And I'm sure he will bring back those days, in time. I can see it happening soon as a matter of fact. The attitude era started when all alot of the younger guys started to get relied on more. With a lot of the veterans retiring now, they are having to rely on the younger guys once again.

Anyway, back on topic! You can't really say anyone ruined wrestling. Again, as someone up above said, nobody can 'ruin' wrestling. You can make up for all the blunders very easily. There is not one guy who I can pin on ruining anything. All of the people who can be blamed from ruining something, also can be credited with doing something good as well, most of the time.

Kasey said:
As far as who's been the worst for the business in the last decade? Hogan. His ego and complete creative control over his character helped shoot WCW in the foot. At a time when ratings were neck and neck, WWF was putting on better main events than Nitro the majority of the time. Younger talent needed to be pushed and the torch should've begun to be passed as soon as 1998, however when the torch was passed it went into the hands of the wrong people. Nash wasn't anything to write home about in the wrestling department, and Goldberg is pond scum ring-wise. They complicated the main-event scene for too long. Hell, at that time WCW had the deepest wrestling roster in the history of the business. Many guys could've taken the ball and ran with it, but alas they were passed over. Bischoff flashed money and had Bret Hart in his back pocket, but was too stupid to do anything with him. Sting was allowed to be on the shelf for a year and a half, and when he came back his push was squashed by Hogan's need to wear a belt. Luger's very successful push and title win was marred by Hogan taking the belt back one week later in the summer of 1997. By the time management was allowing fresh indy workers and more capable people to hold titles, the company was already breathing it's dying breath. If Hogan would've paid attention to the sagging attendance and ratings earlier, and would've observed the quality of WWF's title matches over his, he would've known to step his @$$ down and get out of the way. Just when you think we'd never see Hogan again, he came back to WCW wearing the red and yellow, and trying to revive a gimmick that should've stayed in 1990. Don't even get me going on his return to WWF/E.

You pretty said everything that I wanted to say. Fascinating points. Hogan's ego is annoyingly huge and honestly - other than the fact that he's so over with the fans - he's one of history's worst wrestlers. I really don't know how he survived in Japan. He's terrible. I don't like Hogan and I fail to understand why the Wrestlemania audience - the most intelligent audience to gather at a WWE event on an annual basis - cheers him the way they do. If Hogan never stepped foot in a ring, wrestling might not have been as big - but it certainly would've been far superior entertainment. Screw Hogan.

Vince didn't screw up the WcW "Invasion" after wcw was bought out, WCW's top drawing wrestlers (Sting, Nash, Hogan, Goldberg) who still had Time-Warner contracts decided to sit home and get paid for it so Vince did what he could do... I think they should of totaly forgotten the "merge" but brought in the World Heavyweight Championship... I mean, they took a title that was literally recognized world wide and took a huge poop on it... it's currently on Smackdown which is second-rate and is being tossed around like trash... before we know it Booker will be 10 time 10 time 10 time (you see where this is going) World Heavyweight Champion and it sickens me...

There isn't one person who took down wrestling but two... Vince Russo and Ed Ferrara... I do have to admit, Russo did most of the work, but together they put WCW in the trash and now Jarrett is trying to fix the damage done via TNA which is why I was SO surprised to hear they gave Russo a job... He belong in a McD's flipping burgers or cleaning toliets or writing online wrestling comentaries... he has no business being backstage in control...

Hogan cause of his selfishness like squashing Luger's push in 97, squashing Sting's run by having savage take the belt from Sting and he hogan pinninmg savage the next night, the finger poke of doom, not putting kidman over in 2000 etc etc.. I was never a fan of Hogan and never will be and yes wrestling would be where it is today without hogan it would probably take longer but yes it would be big.. Sting, Ric flair, Randy savage, Lex Luger cause of the charisma and characters could have easily been the poster boys of pro wrestling

truffle800 said:
Hogan cause of his selfishness like squashing Luger's push in 97, squashing Sting's run by having savage take the belt from Sting and he hogan pinninmg savage the next night, the finger poke of doom, not putting kidman over in 2000 etc etc.. I was never a fan of Hogan and never will be and yes wrestling would be where it is today without hogan it would probably take longer but yes it would be big.. Sting, Ric flair, Randy savage, Lex Luger cause of the charisma and characters could have easily been the poster boys of pro wrestling

I can't agree with you on this one... none of the guys you mentioned have had an impact like Hogan did... you have to remember, Hogan was the original "peoples champion" because he was just an average Joe that made it big... the american dream... Sting and Flair had great runs in AWA because Turner bought it but I doubt he would of bought it if it wasn't for the initial success of Hogan and Vince... and Lex Lugar?!?! Lugar has about as much charisma as a rock and just about the same mic skills... I have to agree with JBL when he said Lugar couldn't draw a dime... I have more drawing power than Lugar does and I don't wrestle!

How can anyone say either Vince or Hogan, who were the two individuals most responsible for getting wrestling to where it is today!? If you want to blame anyone for Hogan "ruining" people, blame Bischoff who gave him free reign in his contract to do so. Then again, Bischoff brought WCW to its peak and made for some real great entertainment himself. As of now, I can't really think of any one wrestler that has "hurt" the business as there are so many people responsible for the actions of a wrestler that it's hard to pin amything on one person.

mysticx0 said:
(behind nash would be russo)

Why not put the blame on those above them though? For example in WWE Russo's ideas usually got filtered out because someone else had say. In WCW he had nobody to answer to. With that in mind, why not blame the idiots that didn't take charge and say no to any of his concepts? Aren't they to blame since they could have simply said no?

familymark said:
well as weird as this may seem i would have to say vince. he bought wcw screwed up the whole angle with the invasion and took his competition out, now wwe doesnt have to worry about putting on good shows because if you wanna watch wrestling its gotta be wwe unless you wanna watch the old age home they call tna.

Whose to say that the competition wouldn't have taken itself out if Vince hadn't bought WCW? Can you prove that certain wrestlers that immediately or eventually went to WWE wouldn't have done so anyway once their contracts expired?

lonedog80 said:
Vince didn't screw up the WcW "Invasion" after wcw was bought out, WCW's top drawing wrestlers (Sting, Nash, Hogan, Goldberg) who still had Time-Warner contracts decided to sit home and get paid for it so Vince did what he could do...

People have gone as far as to call Vince cheap for not buying out those contracts, as if spending millions on buying WCW, the XFL, and now having more salaries, pyro, travel expenses, catering, etc in addition to renting arenas, transporting equipment, having developmental territories, and advertising wasn't already costing millions.

lonedog80 said:
Vince didn't screw up the WcW "Invasion" after wcw was bought out, WCW's top drawing wrestlers (Sting, Nash, Hogan, Goldberg) who still had Time-Warner contracts decided to sit home and get paid for it so Vince did what he could do... I think they should of totaly forgotten the "merge" but brought in the World Heavyweight Championship... I mean, they took a title that was literally recognized world wide and took a huge poop on it... it's currently on Smackdown which is second-rate and is being tossed around like trash... before we know it Booker will be 10 time 10 time 10 time (you see where this is going) World Heavyweight Champion and it sickens me...

There isn't one person who took down wrestling but two... Vince Russo and Ed Ferrara... I do have to admit, Russo did most of the work, but together they put WCW in the trash and now Jarrett is trying to fix the damage done via TNA which is why I was SO surprised to hear they gave Russo a job... He belong in a McD's flipping burgers or cleaning toliets or writing online wrestling comentaries... he has no business being backstage in control...
Actually, the merger was a flop because Vince starte if off by booking a match with two wrestlers that hadn't ever had experience with a WWF ring in Booker and Bagwell, not to mention that they were a bit rusty. Not to mention that he actually had a Titantron graphic for each wrestler to do a run-in, which was the dumbest thing in the world. It was like, "yeah, this takeover is so realistic, that we're even thinking of using pyro on the next run-in." Just insulting to the intelligence of anyone who doesn't sleep in a cave. There were many things wrong with the angle's exection, as I'm just scraping the surface.

I do disagree with Russo and Ferrara. They were given the ball, but not allowed to run with it for long enough to make a difference upon arrival in WCW. They instantly sharpened the product in terms of storylines and booking. They also began giving chances to some of the younger talent that guys like Hogan had been burying since 1994. Just as they were getting their momentum going, Time Warner stepped in and took the bat out of their hands because they didn't supplant the WWF juggernaut in the ratings overnight. They forgot that WCW kicked WWF's ass for 80+ weeks in the ratings and that their revival up north took a long time to execute. The modern WWE tv format was pioneered by these two. The way I see it, Russo and Ferarra were dropped into a snake pit and asked to sort out the cobras when they went to Atlanta. They were willing to fight the uphill battle, but Time Warner wasn't having any of that because to them WCW was just an obstacle in their revision of the just-then-purchased Turner TV networks. Russo saw the problems that were present with the bloated contracts, as well as the overbearing presence of guys like Hogan and Goldberg who couldn't hold a candle to WWF's top performers at the time.

Hulk Hogan? LOL Thats a crock of crap! Hogan has done more for this business than any one single wrestler EVER.

The person who has hurt this business most are guys like Edge, who can't get over without the fans ACTUALLY hating him. Its no secret that Edge is hated, and hated not for what he does in charecter, but he is hated personally for doing crap to people. Another guy is a guy like Nitro, who tries so hard to be good, but just can't be, no matter what he does. He tries a lot of flash and flare moves but he just looks stupid doing them!

Guys who get pushed that don't bring anything to the table are who are bad for wrestling. I mean guys like Nitro, Edge, Orton, Shelton (I like him but its true), Haas, Viscera, and guys like this. Guys who can't get legit heat or just get over period.

Undertaker said:
Hulk Hogan? LOL Thats a crock of crap! Hogan has done more for this business than any one single wrestler EVER.

The person who has hurt this business most are guys like Edge, who can't get over without the fans ACTUALLY hating him. Its no secret that Edge is hated, and hated not for what he does in charecter, but he is hated personally for doing crap to people. Another guy is a guy like Nitro, who tries so hard to be good, but just can't be, no matter what he does. He tries a lot of flash and flare moves but he just looks stupid doing them!

Guys who get pushed that don't bring anything to the table are who are bad for wrestling. I mean guys like Nitro, Edge, Orton, Shelton (I like him but its true), Haas, Viscera, and guys like this. Guys who can't get legit heat or just get over period.
Edge can actually wrestle. Adam Copeland may have a problem with regards to leaving other wrestler's women alone, but he sure as hell wouldn't be the first. Edge was over with the fans far before the whole schtick with Lita. If you want to point fingers about who can't get over, point them at Matt Hardy. He had pops you can't fabricate or buy upon his return and the angle those two were in is a once in a lifetime opportunity and because he sucks in the ring, no one even remembers what happened or gives a rat's @$$ what he does these days. He's gone back to being a low/mid-card player who jerks the curtain. Why exactly is Hogan so great, anyway? The lack of mobility in the ring? The dump-truck sized ego? How about the limited American wrestling repertoire? Maybe the played out gimmick that was corny and stupid before the 1990's even came to pass? How about the sabotaging of a wrestling company through a combination of all of the aforementioned items? I can go on, if you like. There are two guys that made Hogan what he is: Sylvester Stallone and Vince McMahon (thanks guys!) He wouldn't have been anything more than a New Japan/AWA stalwart who would've retired before 1990 if Vince hadn't spent the better part of a decade ramming Hulkamania down the collective throat of America. The whole list of guys you rattled off with the exception of the last two have been and are over with the fans (some more than others, mind you). I can't stand most of the WWE programming, but at least I can see that.

Cmon Guys are u kidding me i mean its absolutely sure that is vince mcmahon he screw some very good wrestlers

^I would've chosen McMahon for a myriad of reasons, but I don't really consider him a wrestler, so I had to go with the next best thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back